Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do I get my bear?

Cletus
Cletus
I bought Morrowind to make a Warden and have the bear. I just don't understand how to get or call the bear. I tried the Y key and nothing happened. Is there something special I have to do that I missed?

Best Answers

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an ultimate. Do you have it slotted?
    Answer ✓
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bear is the ultimate of the Animal Companion's skill line belonging to the new Warden class. If you level up the skill line by using any Animal Companion skills, you'll eventually unlock the ultimate. And once you slot + cast the ultimate your bear will follow you around everywhere. :)
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
    Answer ✓
  • Cletus
    Cletus
    So that is what it is! I didn't know it was an ultimate. I still have 7 levels to go to unlock it then.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my bear.
    Just to warn you: there are two morphs of the bear after you level the bear up some. The morph that re-summons the bear automatically if it's killed gives the bear glowing eyes. The other morph gives it large tattoo-like glyphs on the sides of its body. If you can't stand how one of these things looks, then choose the one you can live with. :)
    *EDIT* I wrote this back when the warden was new and I'd barely played it myself. I also need to add that one is a morph for stamina users (gives the glyphs on the side and does physical damage) and the other is a morph for magic users (gives the glowing eyes).
    Edited by SydneyGrey on January 7, 2018 7:41AM
  • G_Rex
    G_Rex
    Soul Shriven
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I love my bear.
    Just to warn you: there are two morphs of the bear after you level the bear up some. The morph that re-summons the bear automatically if it's killed gives the bear glowing eyes. The other morph gives it large tattoo-like glyphs on the sides of its body. If you can't stand how one of these things looks, then choose the one you can live with. :)

Thanks, finally an answer to the blue tattoo I chose the other morph and never could figure out what the tattoo was about.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound like a newer player, so some tips that might help with your bear issues.

- class skill lines level when you have skills from that line on your bar. Want the bear faster? Slot more abilities from the animal line.

- ultimates (once you get one) charge via light and heavy attacks. Sometimes this takes a long time for new players to figure out.

- the bear is really different from other ultimates. Once you call him, he’ll stay around until he dies. One morph instantly revives him, the other gives him more power. I generally advise the power, you’ll almost always have enoug ultimate to call him again if he dies anyway.

- never feed your bear Taco Bell. Just don’t.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remember that as the bear is a pet you will need to have it on both bars or it will vanish when you swap weapons
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just don´t morph, I say
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    just don´t morph, I say

Now there's a thought
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    - ultimates (once you get one) charge via light and heavy attacks. Sometimes this takes a long time for new players to figure out.

Light attacks generate ultimate. Heavy attacks generate stamina/magicka.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amadis001 wrote: »

Light attacks generate ultimate. Heavy attacks generate stamina/magicka.
    You need to do an LA every 8 second to generate ultimate, this is important to remember for healers who don't animation cancel much.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Amadis001

Heavy attacks restore resources AND grant the ultimate gain buff. (Technically light attacks return resources too, but in Morrowind the resource regen was reduced and damage increased, so it’s hard to see the resources being returned)

Ultimate can be gained from:

1. Light attacks
    2. Heavy attacks
    3. Blocking an enemy with a damage shield
    4. Healing an ally with an ultimate gain buff active.

From the patch notes for the current system:

•Adjusted how Ultimate generation is gained to make it more even across different classes and builds: •When you damage an enemy with a light or heavy attack, you will receive a buff that grants three Ultimate per second for eight seconds. •This buff is refreshed with each light or heavy attack.

•If you heal an ally that has the Ultimate gain buff, you will also receive the Ultimate gain buff for eight seconds. •This only works if the ally being healed was not at full health prior to the heal.

•Abilities that previously gave Ultimate will now provide the Minor Heroism buff that will give you additional Ultimate over time.
    •Ultimate can also be gained from blocking, dodging, or attacking targets with a damage shield.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Amadis001

Heavy attacks restore resources AND grant the ultimate gain buff. (Technically light attacks return resources too, but in Morrowind the resource regen was reduced and damage increased, so it’s hard to see the resources being returned)

Ultimate can be gained from:

1. Light attacks
    2. Heavy attacks
    3. Blocking an enemy with a damage shield
    4. Healing an ally with an ultimate gain buff active.

•Ultimate can also be gained from blocking, dodging, or attacking targets with a damage shield.

Wow. That's great news for my tank. Even more warhorns. Is this from the Update 17 patch notes? Or has it been around for a while and I just never noticed?
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)