The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Fishing and perfect roe

Mudcrabjedi
Mudcrabjedi
✭✭✭
So, it's been a while since I was into fishing on ESO, and I was curious about getting perfect roe. Is there a particular species that has a higher drop rate or is it random?
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    Random, as is the chance of catching a rare fish with the bait you use for the particular water type you are fishing.
  • Mudcrabjedi
    Mudcrabjedi
    ✭✭✭
    Well crap, thanks bro
  • lordxyrax_ESO
    lordxyrax_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I recently returned and the first stack of fish I filleted gave me 3 perfect roe within the first 20 fish. I thought "wow they upped the frequency". Then I went over a hundred fish without one and realized it was a stroke of RNG luck.
  • Mudcrabjedi
    Mudcrabjedi
    ✭✭✭
    yea, I filleted about 150 yesterday and got 1 perfect roe lol.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's completely random. I filleted 7000 fish over a period of 2 days and I ended up with 68 perfect roe. Sometimes I got 4 out of 10, sometimes I didn't get any in 400.
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it's usually between about 0.8 and 1.08% drop rate chance (according to the Votan's Fish Fillet addon). So yeah on average it'll be about 2 perfect roe per stack.

Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on May 27, 2017 1:29PM
    PC/EU DC
  • Twiztidrose
    So you get the regular Roe as a catch, and you get the Perfect Roe from filleting the fish?

If you find and area that you catch a lot of Roe could that affect the drop rate of the Perfect Roe?
    Xbox NA
    GT: Twiztid Rose
    Nord- Night Blade cp lvl 388- Daenaris Rose
    Redguard- stamdk lvl20- Octavia
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me the drop rate was around ~1% regardless of fish species or zone.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you get the regular Roe as a catch, and you get the Perfect Roe from filleting the fish?

If you find and area that you catch a lot of Roe could that affect the drop rate of the Perfect Roe?
    Yes, regular Roe can be found by fishing in rivers and is used as bait to fish in foul waters. Perfect Roe is found by filleting white quality fish. Roe has nothing to do with perfect Roe, but the way it could affect this is that if you catch more Roe, you obviously catch less fish. Less white fish=less fish to fillet=less perfect Roe. But there is no spot that drops more bait than others. It's all just RNG. Also, there is no indication that using bait caught while fishing increases the chance of catching rare fish.
    PC/EU DC
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 perfect row for 70 (up to 250) fishes
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old numbers suggest that the droprate is somewhere around 1 roe /200 fish. But since it´s RNG it´s in theory possible to get 200 roe out of 200 fishes.....
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    @Qbiken has got it pretty much right

The drop rate for perfect roe from my previous testing is 0.0085% which comes from an average of 1.7 roe per stack of 200 fish.

This came from myself and another person skinning our hoard of fish from before perfect roe was added to the game. Between 2 of us we had saved up well over 10,000 fish over multiple bank characters.

Your best chance for roe is literally to fish alone to reduce your catch rate for rare fish. Thus allowing you to stock pile your white fish quicker.
  • Twiztidrose
    Now I'm into fishing because of this... but then I also caught some of the rares today (6 total- 3 different kinds). So now I'm torn, I want both! (Can do without the multiples!) Now I can't pass a damn fishing hole without stopping to fish haha!
    Xbox NA
    GT: Twiztid Rose
    Nord- Night Blade cp lvl 388- Daenaris Rose
    Redguard- stamdk lvl20- Octavia
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Qbiken has got it pretty much right

The drop rate for perfect roe from my previous testing is 0.0085% which comes from an average of 1.7 roe per stack of 200 fish.

This came from myself and another person skinning our hoard of fish from before perfect roe was added to the game. Between 2 of us we had saved up well over 10,000 fish over multiple bank characters.

Your best chance for roe is literally to fish alone to reduce your catch rate for rare fish. Thus allowing you to stock pile your white fish quicker.

My addon tells me I have filleted more than 15k fish - and my droprate for Roe is around 1.2 %, that is, little over 1 in a 100 fish. I believe the true percentage is around there, 1 % or maybe slightly above 1 %.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you are lucky. My last batch I was up to 700 filet before a perfect roe dropped. I wanted to break my fishing rod if I actually had one.
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the drop rate of perfect roe is, to an extent, influenced by the following 3 factors but I cannot put it any higher than that:-
    1. The type of water the fish was caught in - eg Ocean, River, Foul or Lake.
    2. The 'scarcity' of the 'Common' fish caught in the particular water type - eg In the case of River Fish, River Betty (more abundant) will yield less Perfect Roe than Salmon (less abundant).
    3. The batch-size of a particular fish to be fillited. - eg 3 or 4 River Betty are likely to yield 0 Perfect Roe whereas 100 River Betty will usually give me at least 1 Perfec Roe and if I am lucky 2 or 3. On the other hand, 100 Salmon usually gives me 2 Perfect Roe and if I am lucky 3 or 4 and sometimes even more.
    In a way, these observation tie in with what @Twiztidrose and @TheWhiteDarkness said at points #8 and #10 above.
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting tidbit of data. I have ESO installed on two different computers. My gaming rig at home, and my mediocre computer at work. If I filet fish at work (1.47%), I get half again more perfect roe as I get at home (0.92%), all with the same character. Weird huh? Anybody got a theory on why?
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    Asardes wrote: »
    For me the drop rate was around ~1% regardless of fish species or zone.

exactly this ^^
    in my experience
    *** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    Here's an interesting tidbit of data. I have ESO installed on two different computers. My gaming rig at home, and my mediocre computer at work. If I filet fish at work (1.47%), I get half again more perfect roe as I get at home (0.92%), all with the same character. Weird huh? Anybody got a theory on why?

RNG ;D
    *** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***