Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Helpful tidbits

Ryelis
Ryelis
✭✭
Hello! I am a player returning to the game, though sort of for the first time. I last played in the beta but did not get the game upon release initially. I have played several MMOs before and one I am curious as to what things I should be keeping in mind in getting a start in this. I am reading/have read guides on mechanics and systems to get an understanding of that and have spent some time in game muddling around. Things that aren't usually found in guides that would be useful to know to make the game more enjoyable or make things in the game easier.

Hints, suggestions, those 'I wish I had known that ages ago' thoughts (that I have had in other games far too often). Anything would be handy at this point and thank you in advance!
PC - NA
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what your goals are. But here's a few things I think you could use no matter what.

Pick a character you like a lot and play the questlines with it start to finish.

Take things slowly. Pick up everything. Look around corners or use add-ons to get skyshards and lorebooks. Do every quest you can! Deconstruct everything you can! Keep your crafting research up always! By the time you start getting to the upper levels, you'll have a good pile of materials, be well into your crafting skills, and have a good chunk of skill points.

Having a single "main" saves you a ton of time in the long run. And there's no reason not to go for max in every crafting.

In terms of combat, the easiest way to go is to pick magicka or stamina based on your race. Dump all attributes into one main stat, then compensate the others with set bonuses and enchantments.

Once you get to level 15, you get another weapon and skill bar - most builds use this "back bar" for heals, buffs and DOTs. So for solo play, a resto stick for magicka, maybe 1h+s or a bow for stamina. Swap to that bar to get your health back or lay down AOEs and crowd control.

The way level scaling works right now, your gear means a lot more the closer you get to 50. Joining a guild and finding a nice crafter to make you gear or let you borrow supplies is a great way to keep your gear at level - plus you can have them make set gear that might require too many traits for you to make personally. Plus, you have someone to help get you out of a pinch.

Once you feel comfortable with staying alive and holding your own in PvE, definitely venture into dungeons. Each one has a quest with a skill point. If you can get a few more experienced guild mates to go with you, all the better.

Give PvP a try if you want - but solo, you will likely run into others with better gear or experience than you. Come prepared or seek out a group to ride along with and ask questions. Well worth it for the skill lines and the fun, if you don't mind dying dozens of times!