The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crafting Sets: Viable?

CrazyDiamond
CrazyDiamond
Soul Shriven
So I've always enjoyed crafting my gear over grinding for it off drops in PvE, however I see a lot of back and forth of whether or not the sets in this game are on par to ones acquired through trials or pledges. If I decide to invest into crafting my sets can I expect to hold my own efficiently when grouping up?
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes in PVE julianos/hundings/nmg/TBS are all good 5p damage sets...For PVP I've been seeing new builds using shacklebreaker a lot and people I talk to on ps4 have theory crafting builds using several crafted sets, seducer will forever be hot. 2p torugs pact, also one of the new morrowind sets have a 2p weapon damage I believe so more power to that. But doesn't hurt to have bone pirate or lich, no jewelry slots for crafted gear yet so gotta make use.

Edit: They are not on par btw, only when they introduce jewelry crafting will they be as versatile. Even then dropped sets are just better.
    Edited by FlyLionel on May 24, 2017 2:30PM
    The Flyers
  • CrazyDiamond
    CrazyDiamond
    Soul Shriven
    Well I don't mind PvP all too much mostly PvE myself, so perhaps I will explore mixing set bonuses. It is unfortunate that jewelry can not be inserted into crafted gear yet. Having that appearance control with crafted sets is what also really draws me over dropped sets.
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well are you stamina or magicka? Both? You'd want agility jewelry for stam(all robust or one healthy and the rest robust) and willpower(all arcane or one healthy) for magicka. After that it gets really simple You can run a 5p on body but helm and shoulders..say TBS if you're stam and Julianos if magicka.

Undaunted route: If you want the better damage you can use an undaunted 2p and just hide the helmet(kragh/velidreth for stam and grothdar for magicka, lambris for magsorc). If you go the undaunted way you can simply craft your 2p weapon damage dual wield with that new set infector if you're stam and back bar a random bow sharpened. For magicka you'd use double destro generally so you can make those random as well. You can go 5-1-1 as well if you want which is nice using a crafted 5p on body. Also for magicka you can use a 2p torugs pact including weapons and shoulder or helm and use a 1p undaunted which is decent.

Fully crafted route: 5tbs for stam(thief/shadow mundus) or 5julianos for magicka(thief) on body and using all weapons and your 2p body you can use NMG for stam and for magicka twilight's embrace. Obviously for jewelry no other option really willpower or agility.

You should be able to do majority of content with a setup or similar setup like that, you won't be bis but I doubt anyone would complain once you let loose. Hope that helped a little.

Edit: For morrowind you'd probably want to have some reduce cost or recovery glyph(s) on jewelry and use that food that gives sustain/max health and primary stat.
    Edited by FlyLionel on May 24, 2017 3:19PM
    The Flyers
  • CrazyDiamond
    CrazyDiamond
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the tips I really do appreciate it, I would consider myself to be a Stam Imperial DK Vampire build. I am also planning on raising my HP to where I have about 45k HP and 30k Stam so I have the best of both worlds, Vampire for the Magicka recovery of course.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Viable" is a yes.

"in a good place" or "worth the 20+ sp each" are far more debatable.

As others have pointed out, there are a few sets that are good for one 5pc part of your builds... assuming damage hunding, NMG, julianos, TBS and IIRC Tava an kagernac get some play for other purposes.

mostly what you gain is convenience (after you have invested the time) and looks (style control is their only unique to crafted thing.)

But compared to even what you can get without ever clicking on "vet mode" you will ALWAYS want a crafted set for jewels and you will almost always want a 2pc monster set because there is no 2pc crafted that can compare. there are i thinkmore overland sets that play as strtong as even those top crafted - and they come with jewels, but they are somewhat less convenient cuz they dont give you traits as quick. Though, its not hard to find the right traits for overlands in the stores for gold - so, convenience may be bought with riches.

By contrast, for equal investment in skills your provisioning, alchemy and enchanting are fantastic. level them in an afternoon, make cheap products that are vastly superior to anything you can farm.

From an efficiency standpoint, level and use the consumables crafting skills first, then if you care to and have excess skills and time, think about equipment crafting.

But until crafted have their own unique crafting capabilities that matter beyond cosmetics, equip before consumes is a questionable choice.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafted sets has one benefit, sharpened weapons.
    You will normally use shorter time level up weapon crafting to 6 traits than getting sharpened weapons of the type you want,
    this is typically fire and shock staff or two daggers or two hander and bow, and research work wile logged out :)

But you can pay an guildmate to craft it for you, 10K is pretty standard 20K if generous or have an more complex order.
    If you are an noob you will get it for free from most.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Crafted sets has one benefit, sharpened weapons.
    You will normally use shorter time level up weapon crafting to 6 traits than getting sharpened weapons of the type you want,
    this is typically fire and shock staff or two daggers or two hander and bow, and research work wile logged out :)

But you can pay an guildmate to craft it for you, 10K is pretty standard 20K if generous or have an more complex order.
    If you are an noob you will get it for free from most.

but at the levels you seem to be referring to, training is often a better choice, cuz the content is not tough enough that sharp matters.

At high ends, sure, sharp matters but that is a convenience thing crafteds give you until you get the weapons you would prefer.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've been curious about crafting daggers for stamina characters. It seems that with the new front loaded CP allotments, infused is the new desired trait for the main hand. Now, as most (not all) folk run the increase weapon damage glyph on the main hand, infused boosts its effect by a reasonable amount (348-417). So a dropped dagger in infused may outpower sharpened now.

HOWEVER! A crafted nirnhoned dagger will outpower infused by adding some 185 weapon damage on top of the gyph. Am I to assume that nirnhoned may be a better alternative and thus increase crafted set desirability?