Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Invalid Character Name Error, please help!

Thaiden
Thaiden
Hi!

I've purchased the Morrowind DLC and I am able to play it already! But I can't start playing because it seems I bumped into some trouble..

I cannot create a new character with the name I wish to use, whenever I try to use the name Yngmar Wolfheart It's displays "Error - Invalid Character Name" But there's nothing wrong with it according to the rules and I'm sure it's not taken because whenever a name is taken it does display "Name already taken".

I don't have much time to game during the week and this issue kind off ruins the fun for me today! Anyone able to help me out so I can create my new character and try the new Warden class?

:)
Thaiden Wolfheart - "The White Wolf" - Nord Dragonknight
Ysmir Wolfheart - "Dragon of the North" - Nord Templar
Ysgran Wolfheart - "Warden of the North" - Nord Warden

Victory or Sovngarde !
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got that same error yesterday. I can't help you, but at least you know you're not the only one.
  • Thaiden
    Thaiden
    I've already changed my name to Yngvar, I liked Yngmar more but Yngvar also suits the character. Hopefully they'll fix it soon!
    Thaiden Wolfheart - "The White Wolf" - Nord Dragonknight
    Ysmir Wolfheart - "Dragon of the North" - Nord Templar
    Ysgran Wolfheart - "Warden of the North" - Nord Warden

Victory or Sovngarde !
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thaiden wrote: »
    I cannot create a new character with the name I wish to use, whenever I try to use the name Yngmar Wolfheart It's displays "Error - Invalid Character Name" But there's nothing wrong with it according to the rules
    Unfortunately, you've hit against the hidden rules and there's no way of knowing what goes on behind the scenes to determine fault.

I once tried to make a character called Bag Lady as a mule, but the game wouldn't let me. At this point, I realized there's probably a "mask validator" working which tries to pick up offensive terms hidden by other characters.

That's just a guess on my part. The only other option I can think of is ZoS stipulated some words to be key words and prevent usage, such as the word "Bag".

I doubt there's anything to fix from their perspective. It's just annoyance to us.