The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The many motifs we learn, and never will use, what can we do?

ButtersEP
ButtersEP
✭✭✭
Motifs are released at a very fast rate in this game, 3 every 3 months. We crafters try and collect them the best that we can, unfortunately the downside is many of us never get to craft these motifs for ourselves. For example, my gold set of julianos is the same set I've had since wrothgar dropped. Why would I recraft this set every few months if it performs the same and the only thing that has changed is the look? Materials are expensive and bank space is even more valuable then that (even with the upcoming double bank space, inventory will be a problem again soon). There has to be some solution like a costume reward once you master that particular style or have an option so we can convert the existing armor to a different style, a merchant that we can pay a fee for the conversion once we have the style learned or something similar to how you can convert to imperial style with the imperial edition would be awesome. It just doesn't feel that great as a crafter/completionist to learn these motifs and really all you get is a 3 second achievement across the screen and the option to use a ton of materials to change your look. I know it can be done better Zos and I'm sure you know to!
Edited by ButtersEP on May 23, 2017 5:45PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...possible solution:

Add an armor piece appearance modification feature. Make it a mat sink.

So like to change my chest from the current style to Minotaur (because...you know...my toon is going through a BDSM phase), the conversion costs 1 Minotaur style stone as usual, half the refined mats (75 rubedo instead of 150) and 1 temper from its color category (1 wax if it's gold, 1 elegant lining if it's purple, etc).

The cost of upgrade are just random numbers I pulled from thin air...the point is that an upgrade feature could serve as a mat sink in exchange for offering players the ability to continue refining their look.

And of course, it would help negate the penalty people get from wearing drop sets...because it's silly to force people into awful looking combos just because they want to wear specific sets. In the real world, anyone who found a Hawk's Eye helm at Goodwill would take that ugly butt crap to a tailor asap to see if it could be salvaged, lol.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    once morrowind goes live on xbox my warden will be runing around skyreach by themselves in the finest crafted gear - until they hit level 50!
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could make a second slot for each armor piece. Then the main slot is for the armor you're using, the other slot is just for appearance.
    That way you could make a Minotaur leather chest, for example, and put it in the chest appearance slot.
    But unfortunately, if they did that, they would just end up making it some kind of convoluted crown sink rather than some fun way to alter your appearance as you see fit.
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Hmm...possible solution:

Add an armor piece appearance modification feature. Make it a mat sink.

So like to change my chest from the current style to Minotaur (because...you know...my toon is going through a BDSM phase), the conversion costs 1 Minotaur style stone as usual, half the refined mats (75 rubedo instead of 150) and 1 temper from its color category (1 wax if it's gold, 1 elegant lining if it's purple, etc).

The cost of upgrade are just random numbers I pulled from thin air...the point is that an upgrade feature could serve as a mat sink in exchange for offering players the ability to continue refining their look.

And of course, it would help negate the penalty people get from wearing drop sets...because it's silly to force people into awful looking combos just because they want to wear specific sets. In the real world, anyone who found a Hawk's Eye helm at Goodwill would take that ugly butt crap to a tailor asap to see if it could be salvaged, lol.

A great idea that has been brought up many times. Just wish ZOS would implement this, but my bet is they will stick with the costume solution to butt ugly armor combo's since they make extra $$$ with them in the CS.
    Another great idea would be trait conversion by crafters...another unfulfilled wish.
  • Kali_Despoine
    Kali_Despoine
    ✭✭✭✭
    here is the problem

ZoS sells "costumes" as a cash grab
    doing this would impede on said cash grab.
    Adding MOTIF costumes would aggravate almost every cafter out there.

I do feel your pain and wish there was a solution as well.
    I have always liked how DCUO did it.
    Not a single toon looks the same.
    No gear crafting in that game at all so...
    Edited by Kali_Despoine on May 27, 2017 9:09AM
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    here is the problem

ZoS sells "costumes" as a cash grab
    doing this would impede on said cash grab.
    Adding MOTIF costumes would aggravate almost every cafter out there.

I do feel your pain and wish there was a solution as well.
    I have always liked how DCUO did it.
    Not a single toon looks the same.
    No gear crafting in that game at all so...

The way around this is make it so the separate parts of a costume could be used in appearance slots, and have those parts not be available anywhere else aside from that costume.

For instance, say you buy the Imperial City Temple Tunic. You would then have a Tunic, Skirt, bracelets and Sandals that you could use in appearance slots on your character. Those items would not be available as drops in game, so if you want to wear those sandals with your custom outfit, you would have to buy the costume from the crown shop. Since a lot of those costumes have really cool parts to them, crown sales might actually increase if this was possible.

An Example; if you added a Steel Imperial Breastplate, Shoulders, and Helmet with the Skirt, Sandals, and Bracelets from the Imperial City Temple Costume, you would have an outfit that looked just like a Roman soldier.

Something else I would really like to do is add the sandals from the Glenmoril Witch robes with the skirt and top from the Graht Climbers outfit. I never liked those bed slippers that come with the Graht Climber outfit, they are too modern in appearance.
  • Ulo
    Ulo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of the Dark Brotherhood heavy armour, sexy as anything. But, alas, my tank will never be able to wear it with the same effectiveness as wearing a wardrobe malfunction and a huge lump of dung on one of my shoulders. At least I can hide my head slot, thank god for small mercies I suppose.

To clarify, I would love to be able to choose how my character looks and how he fights simultaneously. Please ZOS make it happen.