The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ancestral Tombs Hunter (achievement guide)

Saturn
Saturn
✭✭✭✭✭
*Originally posted on the Private Forum April 21st.*

Since I quite enjoy doing guides for collectible achievements, I thought I'd do one for Morrowind's main collectible achievement Ancestral Tombs Hunter as well.

Thanks to @zeroIndex for helping me find some of the tombs.

General information:
- To "begin" the quest you need to visit the Library in Vivec's City and talk to the librarian Bradyn, who will point you to the first Tomb (though it's technically nr.13 in terms of the achievement list, as seen in the picture below).
- It is possible to collect the "rubbings" of the tomb stones before picking up the quest, but you need to complete it in order to be able to hand them to the Librarian, who will in turn fill out part of the scale model of Vvardenfell and tick the rubbing(s) off on your achievement list.
- Once you have collected all 30 tomb stone rubbings and handed them to the Librarian he will give you a quest that sends you to the Library of Andule.
- The reward for collecting the 30 tomb stone rubbings is the title "Librarian" and when you complete the follow-up quest to find the Library of Andule you will receive a "Vvardenfell Scale Model" (picture below), which is a furnishing item that you can place in your house.

Important note:
- Unlike previous collectible achievements there are no clues to find the tombs. However, the tombs are quite big (so hard to miss when you actually find them) and they are all outside (so no delving in public dungeons, etc. to find them). In terms of difficulty, it is easier than Wrothgar Relic Hunter (Orsinium) and Litany of Blood (Dark Brotherhood), but harder than A Cutpurse Above (Thieves' Guild).

Achievement list (numbered from 1-30):
6xdnpubspver.png
5iaky05yv3hk.png

Map of all 30 locations (numbered according to the achievement list above):
9l3hfhg79xyj.png

Most optimal map route (the one I follow in the video guide):
Ancestral%20Tombs%20Hunter%20map%20Optimal%20Path_zps1r17t4is.png

Video guide:
Vvardenfell Scale Model reward:
u7qokxoa6v3k.png

Addon that adds the locations of the tombs to your map:
By the Ancestors (Made by @Kyoma )

At first when I was doing this I thought it was kind of lazily done compared to the previous three collectible achievements, since there are no clues and all tombs are placed in a very clear pattern (as you can tell by looking at the map), but that being said, the final quest once you collect all 30 tombs is quite fun. I also think the reward is pretty cool, and sort of fits the pattern of rewards since you received costumes from Orsinium's collectible achievement, a memento from Thieves' Guild and a polymorph from Dark Brotherhood. I wonder if the next time they do a collectible achievement if the reward will be a mount or non-combat pet.
Edited by Saturn on June 1, 2017 4:50AM
"Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to see more "focused" preview of Vvardenfell Scale Model you can check out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGa1Hca40-0

Also here is shorter guide focused only on the "Lost Library" part if you plan on collecting Tomb Rubbings on your own (using map)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTaTbjHNsqU
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on May 22, 2017 2:26PM
  • DarknessShallFall
    DarknessShallFall
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thank you so much for this, I know I had problems finding them all on closed beta. This will help out a lot.
    I have been a member of ESO since April 4th 2014 but didn't get a code until recently when I asked.
    My @ name on ESO is the same as on here.

• Mrs_Malaka
    Mrs_Malaka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonderfully detailed information. Thank you for putting in the time to do this! :)
    "But screw your courage to the sticking-place,
    And we’ll not fail."

PC/NA & EU
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah thank you so much for this, I know I had problems finding them all on closed beta. This will help out a lot.
    Mrs_Malaka wrote: »
    Wonderfully detailed information. Thank you for putting in the time to do this! :)

I appreciate the kind words :sweat_smile:

Fire and Ice
  • hollywood
    hollywood
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for this guide , it was really helpful! There were several that I just couldn't find.
    Arkos Fortune - Kaor - Koras Fortune - Delaia - Leorio - Niota - Nyraele - Karos Fortune - Elara Fortune - Penélope - Frolics-in-the-swamp - Arynael - Sarovius - Eranyel
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, thanks for this great guide. Here to help people even more is a quick addon I made with your guide: By The Ancestors. :)
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kyoma wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for this great guide. Here to help people even more is a quick addon I made with your guide: By The Ancestors. :)

@Kyoma
    Nice! This will make it so much easier than having to check a map 30+ times >.<
    Edited by Saturn on May 27, 2017 8:57PM

Fire and Ice
  • Haggian
    Haggian
    Soul Shriven
    Ran this thru this morning based on your write up. Everything was on point thanks so much for taking the time to make this guide!!
  • Iccengi
    Iccengi
    ✭✭✭
    That model is sweet! Gonna run through this first thing
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I want a monkey to put "Godzilla" on the map/vulcan!

Thanks for the great writeup!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    Now I want a monkey to put "Godzilla" on the map/vulcan!

Thanks for the great writeup!

Edit: Can't believe I wrote Godzilla ... I think the guar would be too big...

Edit: Note to self, learn to edit.
    Edited by Rouven on June 5, 2017 3:39PM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished this achieve/quest over the weekend. Much fun.

Cool guide, thanks for taking the time to make it - bookmarking for the next time I need it.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw - I don't know how you did it, but I opened your map in a browser, hovered the mouse over a point - alt tab back to the game map - the mouse was at the correct point - F marks the spot - giddy up!

Worked really great.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This was a big help. Thanks for posting this. :)
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    Btw - I don't know how you did it, but I opened your map in a browser, hovered the mouse over a point - alt tab back to the game map - the mouse was at the correct point - F marks the spot - giddy up!

Worked really great.

Must be some of that INTERNET MAGIC!!!

Fire and Ice
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you accidentally threw away and destroyed some of the Ancestral Tomb Rubbing items (due to inventory space consumption), can you go back and pick them up, or are they gone for good? Any confirmation? Thanks. ^^
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you accidentally threw away and destroyed some of the Ancestral Tomb Rubbing items (due to inventory space consumption), can you go back and pick them up, or are they gone for good? Any confirmation? Thanks. ^^

@Darkmage1337
    They should be possible to reacquire if you return to the tombs you are missing.

Fire and Ice
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

@Darkmage1337
    They should be possible to reacquire if you return to the tombs you are missing.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure! (I already completed the quest on one character, but that was after already accidentally picking up a few tomb rubbings from random exploration on my other 7 characters, lol...)
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Induron
    Induron
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this, did it from the map with very little issues.

Appreciated.
    Edited by Induron on July 30, 2017 6:36PM
    There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.

William Shakespeare
  • sixlalas
    sixlalas
    Soul Shriven
    Jan 25, 2024. Threw away Othrelas Serano rubbing some time in the past. Cannot now get a new one from Othrelas Serano Tomb. So far, no amount of jostling, weapons swap, relog or wishful thinking has served to "uncheck" the fact that I DID collect it once. Dunno how to uncollect it, and can't get a new one for the quest. Figure to be up the creek without a paddle on this one. Anyone in the same boat, ideas would be cool - that is, if there are any. Thankies.