The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What Advice would you give new healers?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
My generic healing advice or tips

*Healing springs is the first step to greatness! You can queue into a dungeon with just this and rapid regeneration.

* Get the ritual, apprentice, or annotach mudus stone

* look up some healer guilds for your class

* powered staves are good but precise is better in higher levels in regards to higher heals

* Defending is good to use if you find yourself dying

* Use infused if you running out of resourches

* Charges if you want to feel more professional (good to use with elemental blockade

Okay next person!
Edited by Tasear on May 22, 2017 10:32AM
  • Sukenlihol
    Sukenlihol
    ✭✭✭
    endless red circles, idiot damage dealers, paper tanks, nerd rages, ninja pulls... it's always your fault, beacuse you are healer.

If you don't ready for this, play another role.
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    For 4-player dungeons, you don't need to always be spending 100% of the time healing (for most encounters). You would likely be over-healing if so. Try to work some damage dealing into your build to help clear dungeons faster.
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Totomushen wrote: »
    endless red circles, idiot damage dealers, paper tanks, nerd rages, ninja pulls... it's always your fault, beacuse you are healer.

If you don't ready for this, play another role.

I managed to keep up as a healer/templar. DD's who can't play or avoid circles is pretty often. Though everyone must learn... and some levels aren't just up to the task, even if they learn fast.

I don't mind all the yelling. In many cases players leave me instead of me I leaving them.
    They just need a healer, so in the end they will stay :smile:
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    most important one:

learn to see when you need to do healing and when you can contribute to the damage...
    Healers should be like this:

1) heal
    2) additinal buff
    3) damage

if the boss is for example at 10% health and everyone is executing, be aware that the mechanics still roll...
    don't join the execute mindlessly...
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plan on doing magicka DPS unless raiding..

Oh, and unless you are a templar, dont bother saying you are a healer.

Oh, and ZoS finished off DK healers this patch.
    Edited by Darlgon on May 22, 2017 2:35PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    My generic healing advice or tips

* look up some healer guilds for your class

Did you mean "guides"?
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to all advice you will see Don't bother playing a templar unless you really want to be half baked dps half cooked tank and mediocre soloer with no viable cc... They are not the preferred healing class anymore and they don't bring much else that makes them fun.

.Just use a resto staff and orbs from mages guild and heavy attack with it between spamming healing springs. That is what wrobel wants...complete homegeneity across all classes for healing....except that Wardens and dks will get it easier with major mending up all the time and sorcs and wardens will have heal pets.
    Yeah I'm bitter.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only advice i would give to a new healer is to realize that all 5 classes are objectively viable in end game content including vet trials.

This is a simple reality.
    Contrary to all advice you will see Don't bother playing a templar unless you really want to be half baked dps half cooked tank and mediocre soloer with no viable cc... They are not the preferred healing class anymore and they don't bring much else that makes them fun.

.Just use a resto staff and orbs from mages guild and heavy attack with it between spamming healing springs. That is what wrobel wants...complete homegeneity across all classes for healing....except that Wardens and dks will get it easier with major mending up all the time and sorcs and wardens will have heal pets.
    Yeah I'm bitter.

Yes you are bitter. Homogenization is not the same as creating a more diverse class / role variety. There are effectively 10 classes in this game. Having only 1 of them as the acceptable candidate as healer is ridiculous.

And no Templars are not inferior in any way in the healing role, don't be silly.

• aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    The only advice i would give to a new healer is to realize that all 5 classes are objectively viable in end game content including vet trials.

Yeah I'm bitter.

Yes you are bitter. Homogenization is not the same as creating a more diverse class / role variety. There are effectively 10 classes in this game. Having only 1 of them as the acceptable candidate as healer is ridiculous.

And no Templars are not inferior in any way in the healing role, don't be silly.

I did not say 'inferior healer' I said not 'preferred healer'. You just said same thing. Learn to read rather than calling me 'silly'.
    Since a poster above said 'play a templar' I was pointing out this is no longer necessary and was the point of Wrobel's change.

Unfortunately he didn't apply the same logic to magicka sorcs and dps. Hence I'm bitter. If every classes niche role had beeen switched to weapon and guild based, rather than class based skills i would have a different view. But i don't see templar's getting any sorc skills/passives to compensate for mediocre dps....or DK skills for their tanking. But our niche as best healers because of our class skills has gone.
    So my advice to OP don't bother playing a templar to heal unless you want to for RP reasons.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Joffi
    Joffi
    ✭✭✭
    "Don't group with Leeroy"
    "Bah... This is not the way... "

PC EU
    Tempora Jof, Daggerfall Covenant, Breton, Sorcerer, Vampire: "Being good is hard..."
    Jurfi da Nord, Aldmeri Dominion, Nord,Warden, Vampire: "Serving my own needs is easy."
    Randal the Second, Ebonheart Pact, Dark Elf, Dragonknight: "I refuse to feel the ex-slaver guilt I have."
    Inos sal'Ma'Nefic, Aldmeri Dominion, Imperial, Templar: "Heals by accident count, eh? Eh?"
    Desdenada Jof, Ebonheart Pact, High Elf, Sorcerer: "Righteousness is its own edict."
    Joffi da Rat, Aldmeri Dominion, Wood Elf, Nightblade: "Bah, this is not the way..."
    Indigo sal'Ma'Nefic, Daggerfall Covenant, Redguard, Dragonknight: "For glory!"
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keep un combat prayer
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah I'm bitter.

I did not say 'inferior healer' I said not 'preferred healer'. You just said same thing. Learn to read rather than calling me 'silly'.
    Since a poster above said 'play a templar' I was pointing out this is no longer necessary and was the point of Wrobel's change.

Unfortunately he didn't apply the same logic to magicka sorcs and dps. Hence I'm bitter. If every classes niche role had beeen switched to weapon and guild based, rather than class based skills i would have a different view. But i don't see templar's getting any sorc skills/passives to compensate for mediocre dps....or DK skills for their tanking. But our niche as best healers because of our class skills has gone.
    So my advice to OP don't bother playing a templar to heal unless you want to for RP reasons.

Templar tanks are well equipped in morrowind to tank the hardest content in the game, like wise templar dps is actually in a good spot. Wether or not you chose to accept that is entirely on you. And to say a new player should not play a templar if they want to heal is as I said before, silly.
    Edited by exeeter702 on May 23, 2017 9:45PM
  • goldnugget
    goldnugget
    ✭✭✭
    well they are new players. so be a warden. i mean maybe you could heal a dungeon as an orc with a 2h equipped and in heavy armor. is it ideal? no, warden is.

actually my advice would be don't be a healer. go farm and do quests solo untill you have hundreds of cp.
    Edited by goldnugget on May 24, 2017 12:30AM
  • SRTtoZ
    SRTtoZ
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I'm bitter.

Templars will continue to be the go to healer as long as Breath of Life is a thing since its a very powerful burst heal that is super easy to target. Wardens are good don't get me wrong but they have hots and have to ground target their heals. They will be fine solo but in most situations I see them being off healer roles in a big setting. How you think Templar healers lost their niche is pretty crazy.
  • xdbl0ckx
    xdbl0ckx
    Let your HOT's do their job
    Xbox - NA
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3000+ mag regen suits me well.

SPC is must have for any healer

No monster set required for healer, but a few one piece are good.

Make sure to have a heal on your DPS bar too.

• FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get your SPC A$AP.
    The Flyers
  • F3arM0d3
    F3arM0d3
    ✭✭✭
    Put champion points into blessed. That's the first step. After you get that done you should look into getting the 5th bonus from the healer's set. You can farm it from dragonstar arena. It's at the very top left corner of the map in craglorn. Spell critical and spell damage also affect how your healing does. I'm sure you could find yourself a second set to go along with the one I just mentioned, like burning spellweave from city of ash I.

Just make sure you put your skill points into restoration spells and not DPS. It won't do a healing spec'd Templar any good anyways with your damage nerf'd. Also, make sure you take shard, so you can help restore the tank's stam as well as the other stam build dps' in the group.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Xbox One (NA Server)

Orc Dragonknight - Lvl. 50
    High Elf Templar - Lvl. 50
    Dark Elf Nightblade - Lvl. 50
    Breton Warden - Lvl. 50

- My Music -
  • fatemoe
    fatemoe
    One more important thing:
    Get an add on that tracks teammate healthbar.
    Ingame health bar UI design sucks.
    It often bugs out and not show health above head
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rapid firing shards is NOT DPSing.
    Had an idiot templar in vSpindleclutch 2 that did this last night and it hurt my soul.
    Argonian forever
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healing ward saves lives
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    Be the change heals you want to see in the world.

... No but seriously, be honest and open with your group about your level of experience/ knowledge of the dungeon.
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be a Nightblade, no one will believe you can handle it.

For the record; I love my Nightblade healer (and I stomp ass), but I can't even count the number of groups I've been kicked from before we even start just because I'm a Nightblade.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.

For new healers, I would recommend them learning to keep their teammates alive before focusing on trying to learn dps. It helps to know the dungeons as well, so you know the times when "incoming damage" is going to happen and you are prepared for it. It also depends on how good the dps are that you are running with.

If you are running with really new/low dps, then you are gonna probably heal them more often as they will probably take way more incoming damage. Buffing them also isn't as useful because a percentage based buff won't do much if they are doing very little damage to begin with.

Better/experienced dps will know how to avoid incoming damage better, so they require less healing. Also, buffing them will increase group dps more than doing marginal dps yourself, so it takes some decision making to do.

The most important thing is that people don't die, but don't fret if someone keeps dying. Often times its the inexperience of the dps player that causes them to die (in 4 man content at least), so healing newer/inexperienced players can often be a pain.
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • VierulSquirrel
    Best advice I can offer is make sure you have all the resto/destro abilities levled an morphed.
    Make up some kind of rotation so you can keep up you group buffs and grant resources to everyone.
    Grind for your sets. Spell power cure, mending, worm, twilight remedy, sanctuary, and a few monster sets. Bogdan, troll King, sentinel,. You may not use any monster set peices at all unless you have to solo heal then they become really helpful.
    Master/vma restos will help from Vma and Vet Dragon star.
    You need decent recovery but since I haven't played on Morrowind yet I'm not to sure what I'll need to change. For instance mudus and jewlery glyphs. Ect. That changes and some set ups work better for different people.
    GL and get ready to be pigeonholed into healing for your whole guild
    Edited by VierulSquirrel on May 27, 2017 10:42AM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    Plan on doing magicka DPS unless raiding..

Oh, and unless you are a templar, dont bother saying you are a healer.

Oh, and ZoS finished off DK healers this patch.
    You may be right, but Breton Sorcerers can be excellent healers, too, and it is easier for them to add DPS to their role than it is for a Breton Templar to do that. Any Breton equipped with 5 pieces of Light Armor that have the most appropriate trait for each respective piece, if the glyphs are chosen correctly, has the highest potential Maximum Magicka.

Of course, a Breton Templar is arguably the best with respect to being a "total healer". In particular, they can use both Restoring Light abilities with those of the Restoration Staff, or simply choose to use a Destruction Staff instead. Regardless, adding Templar DPS abilities requires decisions as to which role will have the highest claim on Magicka.
    • Please be aware that the Magicka cost reduction previously available by using Champion Points for one feature of the Tower no longer exists.
    • If I recall correctly, some Aedric Spear abilities can be morphed to use Stamina, but they are mostly useful for melee attacks against adds. I don't recall at the moment whether any Destruction Staff abilities can be morphed to use Stamina.
    • As a policy, ordinarily the player doesn't want their healer any closer to the Boss than near enough to keep the tank alive and well, if only because the healer must be able to heal DPS characters, too. So, attacks against the Boss should be Dawn's Breath or Destruction Staff abilities, and/or with the Destro staff itself.
    • Again, healing should be the healer's priority with respect to using Magicka, and DPS can draw on whatever the healer can spare.
    In any case, the strategic and tactical considerations for healing and for DPS are always situational. That is, they must be selected or modified according to the specific circumstances of the current fight, such as whether the Boss moves, or whether the Boss remains mostly near one location, and the size of the area in which the fight occurs.

As another example, in some situations, the tank must "tank the adds" to enable the DPS to burn the Boss down. Whether the healer must focus on the tank in that situation depends upon the strength of the tank, but the DPS characters should be prepared to avoid damage rather than expect to recover from it or receive healing to restore it.

Edited by Shadowshire on May 30, 2017 1:17AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @FlyLionel
    FlyLionel wrote: »
    Get your SPC A$AP.
    What is "SPC" and why did you put the $ in the acronym for "as soon as possible"?

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go templar or go home.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    I played as a healer for a long time and the best advice I can give is do not let other players dictate your loadout and skill choices. If you are playing withh friends or a guild then there is a purpose to listening to what your allies say as to what they need most. Find a balance between the players and what you feel works best with your given choices as well. But do not let yourself be dictated too entirely.

When I played I used a few spells and skills that some said were worthless or kept complaining because they thought I should use them. (Random people, not friends). I inored them as I found the skills I used to satisfy the needs of the group and my own interest in playstyle.

So summary, listen to what the other players have to say about needs but do not completely let others make your loadout and skills be dictated to you.
    Xbox One NA
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @FlyLionel
    FlyLionel wrote: »
    Get your SPC A$AP.
    What is "SPC" and why did you put the $ in the acronym for "as soon as possible"?

Spell Power Cure.
    Best healer set in game by a mile with absolutely no equal. $$$ is probably cause it's locked in the Imperial City DLC.
    Argonian forever