Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

increasing my dps as a mag dk help

death_pudding
So on my dark elf mag dk, with 504 cp, I run 2 valkyn (I know that grothdarr is better but its ugly as hell and valkyn matches my armor better), 5 julianos (4 out of 5 are gold), Infallible Aether jewelry (with a gold neck), and 2 random sharpened fire destros cause maelstrom hasnt dropped a sharpened destro yet.

Front bar: mage light, engulfing flames, burning embers, whip, elemental blockade, standard
Back bar: Elemental drain, molten armaments, eruption, elemental ring, flames of oblivion, destro ult

After testing my dps on a test dummy today, I got about 20k dps. But my rotation was kinda *** and my sustain was *** and i was using a precise destro on front bar accidentally. The second time I got 24732.2 dps and my rotation was better and my sustain was much better. This is much better but ive seen people get double that on their dks and would like to atleast get closer to the kind of dps theyre doing. Ive been trying to farm for BSW but i havent found all divines pieces yet. Beyond better armor, more cp, and probably making my weapons gold idk what else i can do to improve my dps.
PS4 NA PSN: death_pudding

| vHRC HM | vSO HM | vAA HM | vMOL | vHOF | vAS +1s | vCR | vMA Flawless | vDSA |

Magblade
Stamblade
DK Tank

• Kencan333ub17_ESO
    well from what ive learned crit is very important in pve, thats why people in pvp counter with impen, 'cause everyone comes from pve. im guessing those who sacrifice crit for other stats in pve it is because they know the #'s but generally im guessing lots of crit so whats your crit?

btw ive been trying out magdk dps havent tested whether its mostly bout crit in pve so hopefully i got my answer semicorrect
    Edited by Kencan333ub17_ESO on May 22, 2017 7:57AM
    Acct name: @DivinityWep

Stamblade Main: Sunderflame
    DK: Jragondir
    Necro: Shadoknite
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am only getting 18k.. and that is up from 14k I had before I started practising.
    I think I actually have too much hp (just switched to skoria from llabras which has a hp bonus) and need to restat into more Mag.
    I don't want to have to farm specifically BSW inferno staff sharpened, farming sucks, so I am still running dual wield for now.

Well BSW is getting a nerf this patch so Silks of the sun is actually going to be better (ever so slightly) but I am sticking with it because so I can run two 5 points triggering it on the front and switching to the back.

So something unexpected you are missing is "rearming trap" yes it is a stam ability but it snares the target giving them off balance from whip and gives you major force. And for sustain you can use a magicka drain poison

I am not having sustain issues, However, because I have seducers armor and I am a vampire that can pop Bats to give me back mag when I need it. probably why I don't have as much damage.. I guess.
  • death_pudding
    well from what ive learned crit is very important in pve, thats why people in pvp counter with impen, 'cause everyone comes from pve. im guessing those who sacrifice crit for other stats in pve it is because they know the #'s but generally im guessing lots of crit so whats your crit?

btw ive been trying out magdk dps havent tested whether its mostly bout crit in pve so hopefully i got my answer semicorrect

I tried posting a screenshot but it wouldnt work.but my stats are:

Magicka: 17273
    Health: 37561
    Stam: 15116
    Spell dmg: 2338
    Spell crit: 66.2%
    Magicka recovery: 740

These are my stats with tri-stat food, and molten armaments and i do have the thief mundus. You were right in saying that crit is very important for dps but the only way i can raise my crit at this point would by to get 7 gold divinse armor or mothers sorrow which I feel isnt BiS for a mag dk.
    Edited by death_pudding on May 22, 2017 1:23PM

| vHRC HM | vSO HM | vAA HM | vMOL | vHOF | vAS +1s | vCR | vMA Flawless | vDSA |

Magblade
    Stamblade
    DK Tank

• death_pudding
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I am only getting 18k.. and that is up from 14k I had before I started practising.
    I think I actually have too much hp (just switched to skoria from llabras which has a hp bonus) and need to restat into more Mag.
    I don't want to have to farm specifically BSW inferno staff sharpened, farming sucks, so I am still running dual wield for now.

Well BSW is getting a nerf this patch so Silks of the sun is actually going to be better (ever so slightly) but I am sticking with it because so I can run two 5 points triggering it on the front and switching to the back.

So something unexpected you are missing is "rearming trap" yes it is a stam ability but it snares the target giving them off balance from whip and gives you major force. And for sustain you can use a magicka drain poison

I am not having sustain issues, However, because I have seducers armor and I am a vampire that can pop Bats to give me back mag when I need it. probably why I don't have as much damage.. I guess.

oh and I thought I was having issues lol. But normally people run with all points in magicka and if you feel like your health is low you can put a health glyph or two on your armor. you want to aim for like 18k - 20k hp if you have low cp. High cp people can do with 16k - 17k hp but they can be squishy still and need to be careful.

I didnt even realize BSW was getting nerfed. I just got back into the game a few weeks ago. Id still have to farm for silks tho so i guess ill get started with the endless grind. :'(

Ive heard about using trap. ill have to give it a try next time. and the only issue i find with poisons is that it blocks my staff enchants but ill have to try that out too.

Seducers isnt really a good set to wear as a dps but if it helps you sustain that go for it. and personally I find bats to be kinda weak in PvE, especially when we have standard at our disposal.

Magblade
    Stamblade
    DK Tank

• Beesting
    Beesting
    ✭✭✭✭
    One word : Alcast
    Beesting, Bosmer Magica DK, AD EU, crafter
    Slager, Dunmer Magica DK, DC EU, pvp
    Farmer, Dunmer Magica DK, AD EU, trials build

Every major patch looks like the end of the world but somehow i just cannot stop playing.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Beesting wrote: »
    One word : Alcast

I know he's good and all, but I'd always recommend people making up their own mind instead of just following someone else's guides.

You wanna learn the game and it's mechanics? Read about the basic combat mechanics. Then come up with your own stuff. Test it extensively, make up your own rotation and build and see how much damage you do. Change variables and then test again and again. That's how they do it, how I do it and how a lot more people should do it instead of following what someone else tells them to do in the first place.

This is the only way you really get to know your builds and rotation, find your favourite playstyle and get the best results because it's actually fun.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Kencan333ub17_ESO
    hi, i just went from 10k dps to 19k dps on the 2nd to last boss in cp160 city of ash 1, then on the last boss i got 17k with him teleporting everywhere too. i barely even did anything, i carried like 70% crit, with mother's sorrow set, +julianos, + 2 purple (not even yellow) inferno staves sharpened (for penetration), i ran engulfing flames (make sure you cast this beforehand for the 10% xtra fire damage), blockade, searing strike, molten whip, inner light, Standard of Might (weaving light attacks will allow you to build this up faster and this thing increases your damage by like 50-75% from what i feel. rite now i'm still working on it but i think a lot of it has to do with skill rotation too, and learning your skills properly, it's not just gear, only a destro skill is needed on your single target bar, your aoe bar you can use meteor. i use a heavy-attack build post morrowind patch putting enough champion points into heavy attack and using molten armaments.

btw, my 2nd aoe bar goes like this: pulsar, rearming trap, scalding rune, molten armaments (so i don't have to constantly bank spellpower pots in this development stage, and plus you need molten armaments for the heavy attack damage anyway), and finally elemental drain.

fully-charged heavy attacks from what i can see if specced properly on the magDK do a heck ton of damage even if it's only 50% your overall damage at least it helps sustain and it's better than putting a ton of magicka recovery on your jewelry. i was doing 10k dps alone with heavy attacks for awhile before i boosted it back up to norm, along with weaving in and out of light attacks while keeping your ultimate up, will allow you to do a lot more damage.

this is only my inbetween build as well, i do not have grothdarr's yet, nor do i have maelstrom weapons and my CP is only 306. but this was only one try. hopefully i can keep this consistent throughout. I used to do only 10k dps like you until i figured out what the problems were (not enough min-maxing including only purple weapons, no groth, no infallible mage jewelry, low CP, and most importantly player skill meaning reading your skills and see what they do individually and learning your skill rotation including weaving properly which is a big big chunk of your damage as it also cancels the animation as well as maintaining standard of might which *phew* increased my damage by a 50-75%. you see the dps charts and they show light attacks being #3 on their chart). CP increases your stats too btw and stats help damage. you definitely need sustain to keep things up as well for me that is a heavy-attack build atm, with some ongoing generic potion usage.

all in all, i also ordered the skills on my bar in an intuitive fashion, rather than just by their cooldowns which makes it awkward. because skills are more than just a # to me.
    Edited by Kencan333ub17_ESO on May 23, 2017 5:47AM
    Acct name: @DivinityWep

Stamblade Main: Sunderflame
    DK: Jragondir
    Necro: Shadoknite
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So on my dark elf mag dk, with 504 cp, I run 2 valkyn (I know that grothdarr is better but its ugly as hell and valkyn matches my armor better), 5 julianos (4 out of 5 are gold), Infallible Aether jewelry (with a gold neck), and 2 random sharpened fire destros cause maelstrom hasnt dropped a sharpened destro yet.

Front bar: mage light, engulfing flames, burning embers, whip, elemental blockade, standard
    Back bar: Elemental drain, molten armaments, eruption, elemental ring, flames of oblivion, destro ult

After testing my dps on a test dummy today, I got about 20k dps. But my rotation was kinda *** and my sustain was *** and i was using a precise destro on front bar accidentally. The second time I got 24732.2 dps and my rotation was better and my sustain was much better. This is much better but ive seen people get double that on their dks and would like to atleast get closer to the kind of dps theyre doing. Ive been trying to farm for BSW but i havent found all divines pieces yet. Beyond better armor, more cp, and probably making my weapons gold idk what else i can do to improve my dps.

Well, sustain in magDK was difficult Before Morrowind so I don´t even want to know how bad it is now (haven´t tried my magdk yet with my current build). Will probably go with something like @Masel92 Elemental Fury build (Btw, is there any way to substitute if you´re having bad luck with getting the UI-swords?, just wondering)
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Qbiken wrote: »

Well, sustain in magDK was difficult Before Morrowind so I don´t even want to know how bad it is now (haven´t tried my magdk yet with my current build). Will probably go with something like @Masel92 Elemental Fury build (Btw, is there any way to substitute if you´re having bad luck with getting the UI-swords?, just wondering)

Use the off-balance version, it got buffed while the other on got nerfed more. You can farm slikhlenia, the boss with the pet snake for the precise swords :)

I don't even have one sharpened sword myself, RNG is just too terrible to invest the time :smiley:
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use balance or spell sym in your roation for sustain.

Use fire comet on your front bar, more magic more damage.

Also use blue Max magic max health food, tristat food has no place on a pve DPS.

My mag dks bars look like this-

Inner light- engulfing flames- embers- blockade- molten whip- fire comet

Balance-molten armaments- FoO- eledrain- eruption-standard if might

So basically I start on the back bar with MA then eledrain then FoO then eruption then balance to get magic back and major resists, then swap to front bar for blockade then engulfing then embers, then whip mode till blockade runs out and then I start from the beginning on the first bar, then when they are all up again, I go to the back bar, for either more balance to get magic back or if the healer has provided enough resourses, I start from the beginning of the rotation on my back bar.

So start back bar*1 then front bar*2. I get an eazy 25k-30k with this.
  • death_pudding

Nearly a month later and i can now hit 31k dps lol. Practice really does make perfect.

Magblade
    Stamblade
    DK Tank

• cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried posting a screenshot but it wouldnt work.but my stats are:

Magicka: 17273
    Health: 37561
    Stam: 15116
    Spell dmg: 2338
    Spell crit: 66.2%
    Magicka recovery: 740

These are my stats with tri-stat food, and molten armaments and i do have the thief mundus. You were right in saying that crit is very important for dps but the only way i can raise my crit at this point would by to get 7 gold divinse armor or mothers sorrow which I feel isnt BiS for a mag dk.

Well one giant problem is your health. Mad magicka makes you hit harder with magicka costing abilities Stam for Stam costing.every 1000 is basically equivalent to another 100 spell damage. Basically the health you have is high even tanks (unless they are health based shield tanks) don't go that high.

18k is a nice point for health. Make sure you are in 5 light 1 medium 1 Heavy. Or 7 light if you need sustain. Valkyn is only a very little less DPS so it's fine.

Then finally work on a good rotation. But just the magicka change will help tons.

Also make sure you are only using standard as your ulti for all boss fights and DPS tests.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Qbiken wrote: »

Use the off-balance version, it got buffed while the other on got nerfed more. You can farm slikhlenia, the boss with the pet snake for the precise swords :)

I don't even have one sharpened sword myself, RNG is just too terrible to invest the time :smiley:

Only have 1 "Sweetsong" sword at the moment. But I love the "Off-balance" DK :). Especially the version for vMSA