Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Quick Question about my mageblade

IdesofMarch2
IdesofMarch2
✭✭
Ok yes I know mageblade is terrible right now, but I have spent a lot of time on her and don't really feel like starting over. I have 412 CP, and attempting to be dps.
I read a lot of builds and try to get some skill set ups to where I can be viable in PVP, I'm not bad in PVE but have a question about gear.

I have two burning spellweave pieces, purple and maybe 3 TBS pieces (purple) everything else is just things I picked up here and there. Mostly purple items. So my question is
if you dont' have 5 piece sets that are currently great or VMA staff's and Willpower jewelery and whatnot just regular things. Do the skill sets really make a difference since most builds I see are based off gear and weapons? I mean, I use a Destro/Resto staff set my Resto is Willpower, my Destro is sharpened but blue nothing of note. I love ESO and not a great player but I try. I am just wondering if I should just attempt to run trials, dungeons and see what kind of gear I can pick up before I obsess over build videos.
Runs with the A.D.
Xbox One
PC N/A
Magicka Sorc
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love ESO and not a great player but I try.
    Allow me to get one thing out of the way: there are DPS players and there are people like you and me. DPS players want the maximum damage they can muster with their characters, which can help in VMA but is not necessary.

That being said, having a good set can help you sustain in any dungeon, as you want to cater to your strengths. Getting your gear to CP160, gold, and with the appropriate traits can make a difference.

For example: if you're looking for max DPS, you'll want to expand your magicka pool to its max. The 1% gain may be worth it to you.

If you're looking for sustain, you may want to sacrifice some magicka for health, but then use sets to buff a bit more health.

Your play style is extremely important to your build, not what others believe you should play at. There's nothing wrong playing the game and not being the best at it.

To give you an example, I don't go for DPS. I go for sustain and crit damage. My attributes are 60 in magicka and 4 in health. I'm wearing 5x Seducer and 3x Magnus' Gift. 3x jewelry which buffs my health, but I enchant to reduce magicka costs by over 600.

I have zero problem with this build.

For VMA, having a good group is >>>>> than DPS. Without a strong healer who knows what they're doing, no DPS in the world will make VMA easy. The tank should also know how to pull aggro so the DPS can mop up.

Watch tons of videos on YT and you'll see every joes like you and me take on VMA because their group works well together.

• IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Ok, I thank you for your reply. I'm gonna keep making a go at it.
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two burning spellweave pieces, purple and maybe 3 TBS pieces (purple) everything else is just things I picked up here and there. Mostly purple items. So my question is

Gear Helps. Gear is important. Gear is good and something you should pay attention to. Up to a point.

Now, I am not a Min/Maxer by any stretch. However I do like to play Efficiently, in that I don't use up all my resources on this fight so I have to stand around regening for the next one. To that end, I like to at least optimize the gear sets that I do use.

5 Piece Bonuses These are great to have, at least one, and should be something that is a goal for you. However, there are lots of 2 and 3 piece, even 4 piece bonuses that are beneficial to a character and play style. Mix and match them.

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. TBS, great Stamina DPS set, pretty good Magic DPS set, but you need all 5 pieces to say that, otherwise you might as well Armor of the Trainee, which you can pick up for little to no effort. So, either get the last two pieces of TBS, or find some other 5 piece set to have.

This leaves the other pieces. Do you try to have another 5 piece set or do you have a mix of 2 piece and 3 piece. For example, on some of my casters I run 5 Piece Julianos, 3 Piece Torugs Pact and 3 Pieces of Willpower. On another one I run 5 Julianos, 2 Torugs, 2 Vicious Death, 2 Elegant (each 2 piece gives spell damage boost). I have Burning Spellweave in weird traits and Silks of the Son on another one. I have a different set up on another caster, but I forget what.

None of these are Best in Slot, but none of them suck either. But, they are selected with care and and eye to maximizing efficiency.

In other words, don't chase the bleeding edge, but don't leave easy damage or resource management on the table. Remember, the best gear and a lousy rotation still means you die. A great rotation and meh gear will probably win more fights than you lose.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Gear Helps. Gear is important. Gear is good and something you should pay attention to. Up to a point.

Now, I am not a Min/Maxer by any stretch. However I do like to play Efficiently, in that I don't use up all my resources on this fight so I have to stand around regening for the next one. To that end, I like to at least optimize the gear sets that I do use.

5 Piece Bonuses These are great to have, at least one, and should be something that is a goal for you. However, there are lots of 2 and 3 piece, even 4 piece bonuses that are beneficial to a character and play style. Mix and match them.

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. TBS, great Stamina DPS set, pretty good Magic DPS set, but you need all 5 pieces to say that, otherwise you might as well Armor of the Trainee, which you can pick up for little to no effort. So, either get the last two pieces of TBS, or find some other 5 piece set to have.

This leaves the other pieces. Do you try to have another 5 piece set or do you have a mix of 2 piece and 3 piece. For example, on some of my casters I run 5 Piece Julianos, 3 Piece Torugs Pact and 3 Pieces of Willpower. On another one I run 5 Julianos, 2 Torugs, 2 Vicious Death, 2 Elegant (each 2 piece gives spell damage boost). I have Burning Spellweave in weird traits and Silks of the Son on another one. I have a different set up on another caster, but I forget what.

None of these are Best in Slot, but none of them suck either. But, they are selected with care and and eye to maximizing efficiency.

In other words, don't chase the bleeding edge, but don't leave easy damage or resource management on the table. Remember, the best gear and a lousy rotation still means you die. A great rotation and meh gear will probably win more fights than you lose.
    Thank you that really does help me. I guess I don't get to do group trials enough for the good stuff, like Julianos, Turag and Willpower, but I have a couple of days to see if I can get into groups to get some. I tried yesterday to run through City of Ash 1 by myself, however I didn't get that far. I would like to get more of the burning spellweave or Willpower.

Do you have any suggestions on the skill sets?
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't get to do group trials enough for the good stuff, like Julianos, Turag and Willpower
    Those aren't trial sets. They're crafting sets.

Julianos can be crafted at
    Wrothgar Boreal Forge.
    Requires 6 traits learned per piece.

Turag can be crafted at:
    Aldmeri Dominion Fisherman's Isle in Grahtwood
    Daggerfall Covenant Hammerdeath Workshop in Stormhaven
    Ebonheart Pact Lake Hlaalu Retreat in Deshaan
    Requires 3 traits per piece

Willpower isn't a craftable set, if I recall, and is acquired in the Imperial City.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willpower also drops from the Reward Email for doing the Random Group Dungeons. Plus you can buy it in Guild Kiosks
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"