The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone else think that the harvesting Hirelings are not worth the points any longer?

Lirkin
Lirkin
✭✭✭✭
I get very little that is worth while from the on my other account and especially from the provisioning one.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes.. better off doing writs in craglorn
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Points are free, and I log through them anyway to do writs. So it's literally free mats. I'll call that worth it.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three points is not worth what I get and I could use more productively on other skills.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is: Is it worth these things delivered free to my mailbox, possibly once a week:

A Kuda?
    A Tempering Alloy?
    A Druegh Wax?
    A Rosin?

It is to me.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Points are free, and I log through them anyway to do writs. So it's literally free mats. I'll call that worth it.
    Darlgon wrote: »
    The question is: Is it worth these things delivered free to my mailbox, possibly once a week:

A Kuda?
    A Tempering Alloy?
    A Druegh Wax?
    A Rosin?

It is to me.

That's even before refining. If you have hirelings on all characters you should be getting an Alloy, Wax, AND Rosin every couple of days when you refine the mats.

I only put 2 skillpoints in on each character - I don't ever have time or desire to log in more than once a day.
    Edited by scorpiodog on May 16, 2017 12:52AM
  • xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    ✭✭✭
    get 10 characters with maxed hirelings and youll see the benefits of those skill points. plus ive got 4 wax from my clothing hireling so its fun checking the mail everyday.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you are better off doing the daily crafting writs early on when you are short of skill points but once you have enough skill points, the hirelings just deliver 'free' stuff for no effort. Skill points are easy to come by now that you can go anywhere you want to with One Tamriel.

I do daily writs as well as having the hirelings and sit on a constant stash of 250-300 gold improvement items, even though I sell a few hundred thousand gold worth of them every week.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the hirelings are worth the skill points for me as I almost never sign in to all my characters every day and you have to to get the mail. I wish the hireling mail would work like regular email :(
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an abundance of skill points out there, so many. On my main, I have everything she could possibly need open, even to change builds up AND everything in crafting open and have some points left over. So for her, sure its worth it bc those points would just be sitting there doing nothing, so might as well get some stuff in the mail lol!
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have lots of skill points so I spend them on Hirelings. What else am I going to do with them? Save them? They don't earn interest.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently trying them out on my main character, since he has a lot excessive skill points, and I haven't even been to all parts of DC, AD, and Cyrodiil and all their quests. I still have more than 50 skill points to earn and already know where I'll be spending them on. If the same will go for my toons, I might as well spend some on them too.
    Edited by Dracindo on May 16, 2017 2:18PM
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    If only they'd mail the stuff directly to the bank... :smile:
    It's rare that I can get both mails more than a few days a week. If for example, I get up at 6:00 am and go to work at 7:00 am. I can log in and get a mail at 6:00 am. But say I don't get home from work or on a computer til 7:05 pm, well, next day I can't get the 1st mail because I can't log in after 7:00, I'm gone.

• Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    To me 9 or so skill points are not that big of a deal, I can get those pretty easy. I have all my toons set up this way.
    Edited by Darkestnght on May 16, 2017 2:32PM
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have so much SP at this point (all quests/skyshards/mid-rank PvP) that I buy them because why not?

Might as well get a bunch of free stuff just for logging in for the day.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm self-employed, so logging in twice a day is quite realistic for me.

Hirelings send lots of ingredients, indefinitely.

The costs are grinding the skill points, and also grinding the crafts up to 32 (for the four crafts that aren't provisioning).
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the passives just for the sake of reading Hireling mails. They're some of the most underrated writing in the game.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me at this point they are not worth the points. I seldom get anything good and it wastes time logging into each character to check. Especially the provisioner as most of the stuff is he gets I can easily get looting things in the game.

Maybe once I have a bunch of point to spare but right now I need the points to level skills that are more needed.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    I bought the passives just for the sake of reading Hireling mails. They're some of the most underrated writing in the game.

You are NOT kidding on that.. some of them are better than some of my sidequests..
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    i Actuall train my twinks für Hirelings.

In my actual calculation it will need around 200 days before i get the Money back i need to invest
    Mein Eso Setup System I7-4790k Non OC, 16GB Ram , GTX 1060, 3 mal 1920x1080, SSD für OS + Anwendungen und Spiele, 16k Leitung nahe Köln
    Wieso kürzt der typische MMO Spieler eigentlich fast jedes Wort ab. Schreibt aber fast ein Buch wenn er eine einfache Frage hat ?
  • otis67
    otis67
    ✭✭✭
    Its not alot, but its free mats. There are more than enough skill points now, so yeah I think it's worth it.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you need the skill points for something else, it is a tougher decision but for me i have 12 chars with hirelings for all for all five so... lotsa stuff flows in daily. Whether it is worth 1 or 2 or 3 per skill that depends on your login habits.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    casparian wrote: »

You are NOT kidding on that.. some of them are better than some of my sidequests..

All I had to say when I saw this was "finally!"

From PTS Patch Notes v3.0.0:

New Hireling Mails
    Each hireling skill now has roughly 100 more unique messages, telling a brand new set of stories. These will start to appear after you’ve exhausted the current pool of messages.
  • rossk25
    rossk25
    ✭✭✭
    I only put 2/3 skill points into heirlings and I find them useful. I don't need to put all 3 SP in cause its hard for me to log on every 12 hours to collect my mats.

I remember the first item I got from heirlings was dreugh wax. I was so excited. Plus the messages the heirlings leave are cool and funny.
    Bosmer Magicka Templar - Dest/Resto Staff [ex Stamina Templar - Bow/DW]
    Dunmer Magicka DK - Dest/Resto staff
    Breton Magicka NB - [Dest/DW PvE] [Dest/Resto PvP]
    Bosmer Stamina Warden - Bow/2H
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    As yellow items don't drop at random anymore I don't use these skill points anymore. Get more yellow items out of other stuff.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get free stuff and cute letters daily. I see no problem.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just put put max points in the hirelings last night and on my first delivery I got a tempering alloy and a rosin.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    I'm dumping all gear mat hirelings during my next (yea, cheap for the next week or so) skill point respec.

Keeping only the provisioning hireling, and making that one 3/3 on both my crafter toons. Too lazy to farm x20 of any provishing mat. I never got gold tempers from the gear hirelings, so bye-bye birdy.

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gold mats here and there, from hirelings, plus gold mats from surveys/writs.

I never buy gold mats, do not need too.

It all mounts up ;)
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took out some hireling points in some of my crafters. Enchanting is garbage for me. Everyday I get an empty soulgem and a green glyph that yields zero when deconstructing. A kuta does not exist for me in mails. My main provisioner is bugged and hasn't received a hireling mail in I don't know how long now. She has all points in hirelings too. Purple recipies never drop anymore on my other provisioners. Everyday its the same old green recipe over and over. I don't even see a blue one. Drop rates are just poor. They really need to overhaul this crafting system along with the masterwrits. That is another sad story.......

Edited by LadyDestiny on June 1, 2017 8:43AM
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far i only used the provisioner hireling simply because he will get you ingredients that are no where to find (e.g. frost mirriam). Till now there was no need to hire the other ones but i agree with some posters above, if you have the points left why not use them for hirelings.
    PS4 EU - StamDK