Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Magic Templar or Stamplar?

LvDPrankWars
going by the next update which would be better for me?
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    The one you enjoy playing the most or both
    Edited by Goshua on May 15, 2017 10:04AM
  • LvDPrankWars
    Goshua wrote: »

ive never tried stamplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

ive never tried stamplar

Stamplars are getting a huge Nerf, repentance is only going to return stam to the caster and that is really the only way a Stam temp has to return stam to itself, so be wary of other temps, especially stamtemps in your group.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't said: what you are planning to do with him?

You can play whatever you want, just do not queue to the vet dungeons.
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel free to try Stamplar, but since their heals still have not a single stam morph, and with Vigor getting nerfed you might not have a fun time.
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tricky question, OP.

We need more information from you on your playstyles, your favourite game mode whether it's PvP or PvE etc. and preferred role in group/solo play among other things.

If you're more inclined on dealing damage, I'd say Magplar is a little better at least on the sustain end.
    For tanking, you can either be stam or mag-centric in your build as you can branch to stam = the conventional block-tank or mag = blazing shield tank (one of the many builds available for tanks).
    For a healer, a magicka build is, without question, superior to stam definitely.

You can also mix roles in a build which I did previously on my Stamplar (60:40, DD:tank). However, I've since changed my Stamplar to a hybrid amid the latest patch notes for Morrowind (Pelinal's set is my most important set!).
    Now I play a mix of DD, healer and tank so I can brawl in battles and heal allies with Vigour & BoL especially in PvP as I mostly play in that environment.

That said, it's up to you to decide which builds suit the best for your kind of playstyle.
    Edited by Sneaky-Snurr on May 15, 2017 10:40AM
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My stamplar (atm) pulling 42k dps and can do vma with 11k life. My magplar sits on a shelf because Idk how to play it. Personally, stick with the class you love the most and master it.
  • LvDPrankWars
    Tricky question, OP.

We need more information from you on your playstyles, your favourite game mode whether it's PvP or PvE etc. and preferred role in group/solo play among other things.

If you're more inclined on dealing damage, I'd say Magplar is a little better at least on the sustain end.
    For tanking, you can either be stam or mag-centric in your build as you can branch to stam = the conventional block-tank or mag = blazing shield tank (one of the many builds available for tanks).
    For a healer, a magicka build is, without question, superior to stam definitely.

You can also mix roles in a build which I did previously on my Stamplar (60:40, DD:tank). However, I've since changed my Stamplar to a hybrid amid the latest patch notes for Morrowind (Pelinal's set is my most important set!).
    Now I play a mix of DD, healer and tank so I can brawl in battles and heal allies with Vigour & BoL especially in PvP as I mostly play in that environment.

That said, it's up to you to decide which builds suit the best for your kind of playstyle.

ive gotten to level 40 as a healer restoration staff ect but getting bored and reset my skills to dps mag templar. not sure what it is im doing wrong but my mana drains very fast even with magica food increase
  • LvDPrankWars
    Oh and i mostly play PVE and small amount of PVP
  • Taself
    Taself
    ✭✭✭
    Have a stamplar as one of my main toons, she's brilliant. Am slightly worried about the coming update. If she's not as effective I'll respect her until fairly happy again. No way is she being retired :) Both stam and mag builds are great fun, and are simple and pretty bulletproof.
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Templar is one of the most versatile and most helpful setups to run for any group. They do excellent cleave damage to multiple enemies and their abilities give resources back to the group, rather than draining resources from the group; this is in terms of healing others (Purifying Light, Ritual), giving back stamina [and even magicka] (Blazing Spear or Luminous Spear), and even damage mitigation if necessary (Nova). This is the polar opposite of nearly all meta Stamina setups that require and drain time and energy from the group (such as requiring constant nursing and healing, special sets just to fully reduce enemy physical resistance [e.g. Night Mother, etc.]).
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get used to the fact that they constantly nerf Magplars.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rygonix wrote: »
    Feel free to try Stamplar, but since their heals still have not a single stam morph, and with Vigor getting nerfed you might not have a fun time.

This is wrong, repentance is a great heal, though it is getting a nerf, it is still going to be good enough for most solo stuff, will supplements from blood craze or rally, really all you need in pve, or at least all I needed.
  • LvDPrankWars
    One other thing, should i be using heavy armour or light?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ive never tried stamplar

I did, it was terrible. The Class Skills are made for Magic users. The only Stam abilities of note are Repentance which is a Heal that doesn't cost anything, but only heals you after a battle, Biting Jabs as your spammable, and Blinding Javelin for a knockback. I guess you could get by with those three things, but as Stamina you're missing out on the most important thing about Templars. Your Jesus Beam.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing, should i be using heavy armour or light?
    In pve light as magplar medium as stamplar, that is if you are not tanking.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

ive never tried stamplar

I did, it was terrible. The Class Skills are made for Magic users. The only Stam abilities of note are Repentance which is a Heal that doesn't cost anything, but only heals you after a battle, Biting Jabs as your spammable, and Blinding Javelin for a knockback. I guess you could get by with those three things, but as Stamina you're missing out on the most important thing about Templars. Your Jesus Beam.

That is just lazy, as a Stam build you have access to reverse slash, for intents and purposes an aoe execute, the passive executes of the duel wield line, not to mention steel tornado, which is an AOE execute. You do not need radiant to be effective and not is it the most important thing about a temp, that would go to jabs/sweeps, which is an amazing skill and a better spamable then force shock, flurry and wrecking blow, obviously depending on mag/Stam alignment.

I don't even use an execute on my stamplar cause I am cheap, I run trap/throw dagger/PotL/ blood craze/jabs, with the standard bow back bar, still get 30k+ dps.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 15, 2017 11:55AM
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar
    Pc na
  • lunalitetempler
    lunalitetempler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not both ? ^^
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I have played a stamina Templar DPS for over three years as my main and mostly PvE, with some PvP. Although she is not among the elite in total DPS, she more than holds her own in group content. And she has soloed all other content with ease. I have max leveled all the weapons with her except sword and board. My favorites are dual wield and bow, although I'm switching to a lightening staff on my back bar as an experiment for Morrowind's upcoming sustain issues.

So the best way to go in this game is to do what you enjoy. As @lunalitetempler said above, you can try both a magicka and a stamina Templar (or any other class/playstyle combo). You are not limited to one.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make a dark elf, and switch to whichever you feel like playing
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tricky question, OP.

ive gotten to level 40 as a healer restoration staff ect but getting bored and reset my skills to dps mag templar. not sure what it is im doing wrong but my mana drains very fast even with magica food increase

I'd say magplars actually have great sustain with Channeled Focus, it's armor buff, healing buff and like 500 free mag regen on top of that(also it looks op). ...wait level 40. I'm not sure if you have that unlocked yet? It's the last skill of Restoring Light skilltree.

You'd likely have a harder time with resources on stamplars. But yeah, maybe just try both and see which playstyle is more to your liking.
  • LvDPrankWars
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Tricky question, OP.

I'd say magplars actually have great sustain with Channeled Focus, it's armor buff, healing buff and like 500 free mag regen on top of that(also it looks op). ...wait level 40. I'm not sure if you have that unlocked yet? It's the last skill of Restoring Light skilltree.

You'd likely have a harder time with resources on stamplars. But yeah, maybe just try both and see which playstyle is more to your liking.

im level 50 cp 47 now, was thinking about unlocking that armour skill line, is it good then?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Tricky question, OP.

im level 50 cp 47 now, was thinking about unlocking that armour skill line, is it good then?

Restoring light is one of the three templar class trees ;) And yes, it's great, mainly siuited for heals but Focus is awesome for anyone really, Purifying is an awesome cleanse(=removes negative effects, a must for pvp but works great against some pve stuff too) and Breath of life(first skill) is a giant burst heal that's good to have for damage intense situations.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar is a lot more fun in PvP.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been able to solo all dolmens and even some world bosses as a stamplar and I really have no idea what I'm doing. Just rally, cleave, jabs and roll around until it dies. Idk.

I've considered magplar for healing jabs and Jesus beam but I love the mobility and speed of play those goes along with medium armor. I just hit cp160 so my opinion is probably subject to change since I'll be able to get in to the harder content.