Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Two Handed Weapon Enchantments and a Few General Questions

Mayanpup
Mayanpup
✭✭✭
I have been reading various wiki's concerning the use of enchantments on two handed weapons and I am a little confused.

1) The enchantment strength on a Two Hand mele weapon is double a single/staff weapon?
2) The enchantment on any weapon has a 20% chance of triggering on light or heavy attacks?
3) The cool down between enchantment triggering is 4-5 seconds?

If 2) and 3) are correct then enchantments are WAY secondary to the base weapon damage.

What am I missing here.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staffs and bows are 2 handed weapons as well, not just greatswords, etc.
    Secondary effects have different proc rates for the different ways damage can be applied (single target, dot, aoe, etc.) Enchants have the highest proc chance of anything.
    5 second cooldown unless you're using Infused trait or Torgue's Pact set.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No, enchantment strength doesn't change by weapon type. A fire enchant on an equivalent great sword and dagger outputs the same damage.

2. Yes, enchants and poisons have a 20% chance to proc on light and heavy attacks. There is then a cool down before it can proc again. Note: the creates a strategic possibility on dual wield. You can use different enchants on the two weapons, and they can proc simultaneously. For example, of they were both poison enchants and #1 proc'd, 2 couldn't due to poison being on cool down. But if two is disease, it can apply that debuff even while poison is in cool down.

3. Yes, enchant and poison effects are pretty minimal compared to ability and light/heavy attacks. They're designed as a minor amount of additional power. Because of this, some of the more useful enchants are not direct damage, but things that buff you or debuff things like their resistance. And honestly, poisons are far more versatile. I think they developed poisons because they wanted to offer more variety, but didn't want to intro a bunch of new runes and glyphs.