The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to sell stuff?

eriklindham
I'm fairly new to the game and have just begun to hoard stuff for crafting, which I intend to sell. Afaik, I need to be a member of Guild X in order to be able to put my stuff for sale at the Guild X merchant. I'm a member of a bunch of smaller guilds now, none of which are represented around the larger cities (EP). It only make sense that posting sales around the bigger cities mean stuff will get sold faster. But to do that, I need to be a member of these guilds? And to me it doesn't seem to be any good way to find someone to add me to the guilds.

But maybe I got things backwards?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to be involved in a guild with a store in a major hub but it helps.

Trade guilds can also sell to one another in house by going to a bank NPC and browsing there. If you want to join a trade guild you can ask in zone chat for an invite or check the guild recruitment forums, you can post asking for one or reply to one recruiting.

Be aware that larger more successful guilds might have requirements such as membership fees or sales targets in order to help fund the rental of their vendor.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly new to the game and have just begun to hoard stuff for crafting, which I intend to sell. Afaik, I need to be a member of Guild X in order to be able to put my stuff for sale at the Guild X merchant. I'm a member of a bunch of smaller guilds now, none of which are represented around the larger cities (EP). It only make sense that posting sales around the bigger cities mean stuff will get sold faster. But to do that, I need to be a member of these guilds? And to me it doesn't seem to be any good way to find someone to add me to the guilds.

Trade guilds are great, but some require you either donate some gold to the bank regulary, or sell some amount every week.
    Nice ones are those, that do not require this.

Best is to check this part of the forums and if you find a guild there, which suits you (my advice: best with these keywords in description: mature, friendly, no mandatory payments, no mandatory sales) and write them to invite you:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/guild-recruitment

there choose if you play on pc or console and if on EU or NA server and search there ;).

I found all the guilds that I am member of there.

edit: one more important thing, always choose a guild with at least 300 - 400 active players (I always ask in the forums about this, before asking to send me the invite)

Edited by altemriel on May 10, 2017 11:46AM
  • Furinol
    Furinol
    ✭✭
    Guild traders are a silly hurdle.

Looking for a particular item to buy is like a mini quest spanning half of Tamriel.

Selling an item is worse.

I mostly ignore the system.

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Furinol wrote: »
    Guild traders are a silly hurdle.

Looking for a particular item to buy is like a mini quest spanning half of Tamriel.

Selling an item is worse.

I mostly ignore the system.

well yes, buying a particular item and running around all the guild traders is kind of silly, a global auction house would be handy.

but selling is really easy, if you are in a guild with at least 300 - 400 active players

or even selling in the zone chat (/z , WTS ...... (want to sell....) is ok
    Edited by altemriel on May 10, 2017 11:49AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it is true that a well-placed guild trader helps, it's not that essential. Secondary hubs are fine too.

The key to selling stuff is :
    - Sell stuff for which there is a demand
    - Be aware of market prices and price accordingly, slightly cheaper if you want stuff to move fast.

Many bad traders blame the imaginary "big trading guild consortium" but that doesn't exist. Market knowledge is what matters.
    Too many people just empty their bags into guild stores and expect stuff to sell. They price hundreds of molybdenum stones that noone wants and a few soul gems priced higher than NPC price, and dozens of gear set items that noone uses, with the prosperous trait. Then they complain it doesn't sell.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly new to the game and have just begun to hoard stuff for crafting, which I intend to sell. I'm a member of a bunch of smaller guilds now, none of which are represented around the larger cities.
    Don't take my remark as an insult, but you'd be selling junk. The level is just far too low to sell. You may have noticed most items sold around large cities are level 50+, because everything else is just a waste of time for both seller and buyer. Most will "outgrow" the lower leveled gear pretty quickly.

Instead, use the stuff to deconstruct (leveling your skills) or research (to make your own gear).
    It only make sense that posting sales around the bigger cities mean stuff will get sold faster.
    Perhaps, but I belong to a smaller guild as well and everything I've sold has been through the smaller guild, which has no store presence at all.

It's best to focus on selling what you believe guild members are looking for, not just anything. Most of my motifs, recipes, and writs have sold because these are the things other guild members are looking for.

It also helps to price things reasonably, not based on the atrocious "going rate" is.
    Nope, but I think you're trying to rush things a bit. Take care of yourself first, then worry about selling later, especially when you start getting gear and stuff worth selling.

If you need gold, stealing is the easiest way to earn gold in the game. Most items at low level will be worth 40g selling to a fence if you need desperate cash, but if you take your time, you can find green items worth 100g. As you level up Legerdemain, you'll find more green and blue items in containers, with blue being worth 250g. Get high enough, and the rarer purples start to drop, worth 1500g.

Otherwise, questing will be your best bet, as slow as it is.

Hope this helps. :smile:

• Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently there are a couple of ways to sell/buy stuff.

• Joining trade guilds
    • WTB & WTS in zone chat
    • Ask kindly for a favour from friends to advertise your WTB & WTS in their guilds and/or zone (If it's not too bothersome).

There are a few more unconventional ways to buy and sell but those 3 have always helped me.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    and if you are on PC, get these two addons:

- Awesome guildstore
    - Mastermerchant

they are most helpful for this
  • jackiemeeking
    jackiemeeking
    ✭✭
    What I do to sell stuff:

1. Be in a guild (small or big, honest - I can recommend some)
    - being in guild will have guild store/trader, depends on the population (members) and savings in bank
    - guildies can help you either sell or tell you where and how to sell

2. open up your text chat in game: start advertising but don't spam

3. be aware of the price you are selling. There are phone apps that you can download, this helps you to check prices (in range) for a specific item you want to sell. Over pricing is baaaaad! (:
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you truly want to sell items. 10K in weekly dues is standard. Donation and free guilds are nice but you don't sell much out of them unless you lowball the market price and sell to bargain hunters.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart