Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you "gold" your weapons?

ATEK302
ATEK302
Do they drop gold or can you upgrade any weapon you have to gold? If you upgrade any weapon you get, does your crafting have to be ranked up.

Best Answers

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time you will do it via upgrading them. They use gold tempers and it can be done at a crafting bench.

There are passive skills in the crafting lines to reduce the number of tempers needed, this takes them down to 8 required at minimum for 100% change to work (never gamble with them, always do it at 100%).

The tempers can be found either in hirling mails, daily crafting writs, or most commonly from refining stacks of materials with max level in a passive for each crafting line (woodworking, clothing, blacksmithing) at a small chance.

You can also buy these from other players via guild traders but they're worth a good amount of gold due to the demand for them.

There are some weapons which come gold from weekly leaderboards.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATEK302 wrote: »
    I'm CP130, I'm close. I'm just planning ahead.

Magsorc, gonna run necropotence, and likely ilambris monster set. I'd like to run infallible aether, but will never have a group for trials.

So if I've never invested anything into woodworking, it will take 10 tempers to upgrade to gold and it's not 100% chance. What exactly do I need to focus on so I can upgrade when I'm ready.
    Start deconstructing all equipment which you don't want to use or doesn't have the ornate trait. Especially ones which have the Intricate traits as these are worth much more inspiration (crafting XP).

The skills you want just for upgrading are the Expertise skills at the end of each skill line, they're the ones which improve odds of upgrading (as such reducing the number of tempers needed).

Other useful skills are the ones which give you better chances of getting tempers when refining raw materials
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus is an expert, his comment is spot on. I'd add that it's highly unlikely you'll ever receive a gold weapon...they're rewarded so rarely that the only time you'll get one is when you're specifically working toward one.

Also, don't worry about gold weapons until your character is c160+ and can have top-level gear. The gold mats are too valuable to use on lower level stuff. It takes 8 alloys to upgrade to gold, so that's about $100k at current prices. As a general rule, when leveling I use blue to level 40ish, then purple works fine until you want to max a vet character.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to level your crafting to use the Tempers efficiently. Last thing you want to do is use 20 Gold Tempers at 6K a pop, per item you improve.

As above, use Blue or even Purple drops until you get to CP160. By then you will have figured out your build and what weapons you really want to use, as opposed to what you think you want to use right now.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ATEK302
    ATEK302

Magsorc, gonna run necropotence, and likely ilambris monster set. I'd like to run infallible aether, but will never have a group for trials.

So if I've never invested anything into woodworking, it will take 10 tempers to upgrade to gold and it's not 100% chance. What exactly do I need to focus on so I can upgrade when I'm ready.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would add you can try to use less tempers at reduced chance of success.....but it has not worked for me. Ever. Even with 90% chance. So, make sure to use all 8!!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATEK302 wrote: »

If you have not invested any points into Resin Expertise it takes 20 Gold Tempers. If you use only 10 under those conditions, your pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Now, what you can do in to get ready to Improve your own gear is to level Woodworking and that is done just by deconning your mob loot. You will level your Woodworking enough to be able to invest in all the passives so that you only need 8 Golds to make it gold from purple. You don't need to max Woodworking, the passives unlock at L10, L25 and L40.

BTW, you may want to also start learning Woodworking traits (and armor too for that matter) this way you can use a crafted weapon instead a set drop that never seems to come in the trait you want it to.
    Edited by Nestor on May 11, 2017 4:22PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"