Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

crafting issue with deconstructing

Lirkin
Lirkin
✭✭✭✭
I am trying to deconstruct items that I got while adventuring with my alts and and getting nothing back from the items. I get a message that says that I am not high enough level and will get less from the process but I an getting nothing back most of the time. On my other account I leveled crafting to 50 without putting points into the skills and always got something back. My character getting the items is higher than the crafters but not that much higher.

I thought that this game allowed you to have a crafter only character? This is not a good idea to me.

So a black smith needs to be the same level as the material to melt it down. Not a logical idea. I can construct things of a higher level but not melt it down.

Doesn't make sense to me!!!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...that's an odd issue, I'm not sure exactly what's going on there.

I think you're saying that you're taking a main around and picking up a bunch of rubedo gear, then passing it off to an alt and getting nothing from the decon. Yes, this is how that is supposed to work. A character's extraction is a function of their skill in that line and their rank in the first passive. So a low level crafter can't extract much from high level gear. The process of leveling an alt is going to waste a lot of mats.

For a crafting alt, you want to go get shards and spend in the trade skill rank passives, and probably also extraction. And to level them fast you can either accept the material burn, do writs to earn intricate items, which level you fast, or have your main craft a bunch of gear from junk mats you don't need and decon those. (I think passing items from main to alt provides okay leveling now).
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you never get all that much back from high level gear anyhow as far as the construction mats, I'd just keep going as you are. You'll still occasionally get the improvement mats or style mats as you decon even at a significantly lower level, and deconning ancestor silk items for example usually only give 1 ancestor silk anyhow.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't get mats back from decon on a low level character until your crafting skills are leveled up. I don't think any of my Mules saw mats until they were in the high 30's or low 40's in the craft skills. I have one more I am leveling I will check and see if she is getting any mats yet as her skills are in the 30's.

But, here is a better way to do this. Just send Intricates to your Mules for decon (well the bank is all you need, your mules can decon out of the bank). Then decon the other mob loot on your leveled characters so you get your mat back. Use the Extraction passives to get Tempers and Traits too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not about crafting level, it is about level of your alt.

Pretty strange, but it was this way probably from the very beginning: you are getting mats from deconstruct only from gear you can use. No idea why it is done this way.
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I am talking about is that I am taking a level 27 and getting things as I level and then trying to get crafting materials by braking down the items using a level 18 crafter the has points into crafting that are only one level lower than the items and getting almost nothing from breaking them down. I understand I might get all of the materials from the break down but I should get more than I am. I level one alt for a while than I change and level another but I can't recover that materials I need to make my own items that way it is now.

Example I break down 12 metal items and get one or two things but no metal from it. This seems to be very low. With another crafter same level exactly I break down about 15 items and get now wood from them. This happens regularly. One level lower than the material should not impact what I get back this much!

This is a new account I am leveling characters on and I have leveled another account this same way but have never had this kind of problem. (I love to level alts do do new things)

Is this as intended? It didn't work this way before and I am sure of that. Why the change or was in unintended?