Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Do Thieves Guild daily heists really make money?

lucadi
lucadi
I am level 20 and was wondering if Thieves Guild daily heists really do make money. I am not short on money or anything since I wear stuff gotten from quests and crafting but just wanted to know for reasons such as buying stable mount enhancements. I have already been frauded a way of making money which is going to Cromson Cove and killing NPCs which was told to make 10k - 15k in 30 minutes and been hurting for some real way of making some decent cash... Well, thanks in advance...
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theivery in general is a decent money-maker if you enjoy doing it. There is a cap to how much you can fence a day, though, so if you really want to make the most each day you only fence green or better stuff. I usually don't hit the cap, so I just grab everything. The Kari quests are just a nice bonus to already stealing stuff. If you want to be casual about it, just complete the steps of the quest whenever you happen to be in that zone. The daily one will give you motifs, which can sell for a few thousand.

Crafting writs can be decent, if you're not needing to buy matrials to complete them.

Grinding public dungeon mobs can be good too, but then you get hit with repair bills. Using Prosperous gear and buying cheap repair kits from guild vendors help.

Of course, the biggest money makers are selling stuff in the guild store, whether it's rare items people really want, motifs, crafting materials, etc. Whether it's from farming yourself or or buying low and selling high.
    Edited by dpencil1 on May 9, 2017 5:03AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those daily heists are SO ANNOYING. :s
    They don't make any more money than any other quest does ... so, not much at all. The main reason for doing them is to 1) build up thieve's guild skill line, which will get you a lot of really nice passive skills, and 2) get the chance to get that specific armor set they give out as a reward sometimes (I forget what it is).

Edited by SydneyGrey on May 9, 2017 5:41AM
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Those daily heists are SO ANNOYING. :s
    Get yourself the right gear and the heists become a breeze..
    - 3 pieces Night Terror
    - 5 pieces Night's Silence

Or use 5 pieces of Night Mother's Embrace if you're a vampire and have the Dark Stalker Passive.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psxfloh wrote: »
    - 3 pieces Night Terror

Or use 5 pieces of Night Mother's Embrace if you're a vampire and have the Dark Stalker Passive.
    Those are good sets. My nightblade has a 5-piece Night's Silence set, but not Night Terror. I can do the heists just fine, but I hate them and just find them irritating. That's just me, though.

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lucadi wrote: »
    I am level 20 and was wondering if Thieves Guild daily heists really do make money.
    Not really. A few items earned can be sold to get some gold, but as far as "daily" amounts, no.

The most gold you can earn through TG and build the skill tree is through Kari's quests, which are repeatable upon completion, unlike the other two which are once per day.

At your level, the best quests to do will be safebox cracking and getting items for a client. Before doing the safebox quests, it's best to take some time and discover a wayshrine at a major faction city (doesn't matter which one - your choice) as these quests will require a theft from a faction zone x3. You can turn the quest in anytime after the first, but for max payout and loot, best to do all 3.

If you get the quest for the client, you'll need to steal specific items, which all come with a description. For example, you may be requested to acquire linens and clothing, so you'll have to find specific items with these descriptions. Head's up: armor counts as "clothing". :wink:

Once you acquire all 3 items, you must launder them which means you must buy them from a fence. Do not sell them! Once cleaned, you can meet up with the client and earn your reward (which generally covers the cost of laundering).

Pickpocket quests are offered as well, but without the passives to increase your chances, this can be slow going. Try it out, and if you find you're getting caught too much, the next time you get the a pickpocket quest. abandon it and try the board again. The quests given out are random, so keep trying to get one you like the best.

As your Legerdemain skill builds, you'll start finding more green items. You'll start to get more green items around level 8. As you approach level 20, you'll find more blue items, and the purple drop rate increases as well.

All said and done, if you spend about an hour or two thieving, you'll be able to earn 10k+/day easily, and this is in addition to doing regular quests or dungeon runs.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20-30k a day easy when you factor in the motifs for doing thieves guild dailies. Only do the crime spree ones. You can rip right through them in about 15-20 minutes. Rinse and repeat.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lucadi wrote: »
    I am level 20 and was wondering if Thieves Guild daily heists really do make money. I am not short on money or anything since I wear stuff gotten from quests and crafting but just wanted to know for reasons such as buying stable mount enhancements. I have already been frauded a way of making money which is going to Cromson Cove and killing NPCs which was told to make 10k - 15k in 30 minutes and been hurting for some real way of making some decent cash... Well, thanks in advance...

First problem. You are LEVEL 20. Gold drops scale to your level. The numbers you list are for level CP 160s.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    psxfloh wrote: »
    - 3 pieces Night Terror

Those are good sets. My nightblade has a 5-piece Night's Silence set, but not Night Terror. I can do the heists just fine, but I hate them and just find them irritating. That's just me, though.
    I did them on sorcerer and templar with medium armor Night Mother's Embrace, no night silence but both are Khajiit who helps here.
    Stopped doing them as the thief guild motifs is below 2.5K on pc after the event and I'm still selling off stuff.
    if you are leveling the thief guild its an good idea to do them, they take some time to learn just as any dungeon.
    You can also drop quest to redo them who is smart if you mess up early.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often run a little route with my nightblades...the dark brotherhood daily, the thieves guild safebox repeatable, then the thieves guild daily. I happen to enjoy them...but if I ran that trio one one character six days a week, I'd probably earn 6 motifs (abahs, dark bro, thieves guild). That'd clear about 150k/week in my guild stores. In this regard they're profitable.