Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New to the gamy anyone want to throw some pointers at me.

BoostedTurtle
BoostedTurtle
Soul Shriven
I purcharsed the game when it first came out never played it lately been seeing it pop up on youtube etc and want to jump into the game.

Can anyone recommend me what build I should aim towards as for a beginner so I can learn the game and then have no issues building other characters? What should I look out for and what about DLCs are there any I should purchase right away or how do they work? Thanks. Im more aiming towards PVE but would love to get into some light PVP
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do NOT recommend a nightblade as your first character, because they are the hardest class to master. Any of the other classes would be fine.

As for DLCs, my personal favorite is Orsinium. There are a couple of tough fights in that one, though, so it's recommended for a character that's higher level. It's an awesome DLC, though.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magplar I think is one of the easiest and forgiven classes to play with
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka-based Sorcerer is my main and currently one of the best performing specs and probably the easiest thing to play in PvE. It's great in PvP too but takes skill to be good at it.

Go to Alcasthq.com and take a look at his stuff. He's probably the top person to look to for build information right now.

The DLCs are geared toward different things, so buy based in what you like to do:

Orsinium - awesome PvE questing zone, Maelstrom Arena, hardest solo experience with some of the best weapons in the game as rewards. Highly recommended.

Imperial City - PvP zone with lots of PvE as well, so PvPvE. Sewes and districts, smaller scale than Cyrodill. Flag capture in districts. Good if you like to PvP and PvE at the same time. A short PvE quest line.

Thieves' Guild - Small zone, but a nice PvE storyline. Very good passive skills for stealing.

Dark Brotherhood - Same thing as Thieves' Guild. Good passives for murdering innocents.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar I think is one of the easiest and forgiven classes to play with
    Magplar = magicka-based templar, in case you didn't know.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, it really depends o what you like to do. ESO offers alot and its up to you to find out which parts you enjoy.

So, just jump in and try.

If something really bugs you or you don't understand something ask in chat or here in the forum.

... and only then go watch whatever video you feel might tell you something.

The only things noteworthy for beginners are:
    - you can sell items to merchants to get gold
    - you can use said items to learn crafting too (beeing a master crafter takes time but is rewarding if you like crafting)
    - for the first 50 levels you can just quest, it will take longer then using one spot to grind your experience, but its more fun. (You might want to progress zone by zone to keep the storyline, but you don't need too)
    - you can reset your skill points and attribute points for gold, no need to pay crowns. Adding to it, try different things on your character. Many skills and synergies are not easy to see and just beeing told what to use will not get you to understand the mechanics.
    - get a horse (seriously, start right from the beginning to put away some gold for a horse... and level your riding skill at the stablemaster)

- have fun
  • JESTERDAN
    JESTERDAN
    ✭✭
    Nb is the easiest class to master and the fasted to level up. Imo. I grind with my nb while I set up my other toons.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JESTERDAN wrote: »
    Nb is the easiest class to master and the fasted to level up. Imo. I grind with my nb while I set up my other toons.
    So many people would disagree with you. If they're easy for you, great, but don't give him wrong information just because you like them. Nightblades are worth playing, but they'd be the most frustrating class for a new player, hands-down. You can't seriously pretend they're easier to master than dragonknights. You can't seriously say they're easier than pet sorcerors, who just summon a couple of daedra to fight for them. Come on. Give me a break.

Plus, you aren't mentioning that there is a huge difference between nightblades in PvP, and in PvE. They're a lot stronger in PvP than in PvE.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on May 8, 2017 5:30AM
  • JESTERDAN
    JESTERDAN
    ✭✭
    Snuck to the end of every delve and melted every boss before I reached 160cp. It's not wrong info. You can level a nb faster than any other toon. One shotting WW for 2k a piece in hag fen. Can't grind like that with a Sorc bro. You will be able to get 40sp just for sneaking to the skyshards that you couldn't get to otherwise.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't talking about which class is more powerful ultimately, or which class levels up the fastest. I was talking about which is the hardest to MASTER, which means which class is the hardest for newbies to learn to play in a way that will give them the results you're reporting.

*Sighs*
    *Rolls eyes*
    *Leaves thread*
  • llKarasll
    llKarasll
    Snuck to the end of every delve and melted every boss before I reached 160cp. It's not wrong info. You can level a nb faster than any other toon. One shotting WW for 2k a piece in hag fen. Can't grind like that with a Sorc bro. You will be able to get 40sp just for sneaking to the skyshards that you couldn't get to otherwise.

I can sneak to the end of each delve and jump on the boss, that doesn't make this an easy class to play. That just means you found a way to cheese in PvE like you do in PvP. I'm not a new player by any stretch of the imagination and playing with an ungeared level 36 Night Blade with no maxed skill lines is hard and not something I'd recomend to a newer player at all.

I also get the feeling that you're just being a Billy Big Balls, making out that you find it really easy so that everyone will marvel at you. If that's the case then I pity you. You're wrong and no one really cares.

To the @BoostedTurtle, Sorcerer and Templer are the easiest to start playing in my opinion. Both can be built as all-rounders, but can be very strong as pure DPS and the Templer is a great healer (Breath of Life is the strongest heal in the game, a real life saver). There's nothing stopping you making multiple character to find what's good for you. If it turns out you don't like something then just switch to something else. It won't take long for you top work out what's for you and what isn't.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi there!

Some pointers I think would be awesome for you to take note of:

Try out everything. Be a nightblade, sorcerer, Templar whatever. Trying out classes and weapon combinations would not hamper you in any way but opens up your choices and also helps cement what you think would be your preferred playstyle. Whether or not the class is 'hard to master' or 'fastest to level' doesn't matter much, what matters is you should know the class you are playing and how different playstyle affects your levelling.

Change weapons, and always know that you can have up to 12 abilities to play around with (depending on the build) and also that locking your choices to just one bar just basically limits the possibilities that you can play around with. always wanted to try out an axe that dropped a while ago? try it out. possibly a staff that you took from the dying hands of a dungeon boss? try it out. unless you already have a set build in mind, or you only prefer a certain playstyle, then you've got no excuse not to try it.

my own levelling process was like this: 1-50 is your learning stage. this is when you learn your build, your class and also what your preferred playstyle is. I started out as a bow wielding Nightblade and was having loads of fun with it, regardless of what other people said because I took the time to learn what my class can and cannot do. a lot of players try to relate how they play other mmos to ESO and failed spectacularly (myself included). think of it this way, you are given a hammer and you try to hack down a tree. can you do it eventually? definitely, but why use something not for its purpose? a might blade has certain tools that a sorcerer doesn't and vice versa.

Your cp levels from cp1-160 are levels that you need to refine your build. this means gear, cp points, group role and also your stats distribution. if you are planning on becoming a tank, then refining the build to be this tanky mofo would be better for you. that's why I don't recommend trying to find gear sets when you are below level 50. even if the sets look so awesome at level 30, it's useless at cp20. when, my Nightblade main reached cp leves, I realise how awesome it was at tanking so that was how I refined the build and how I changed how I played from a bow wielding ganker to a sword and shield mofo.

Join a guild. even if its for trading, joining a guild increases your chances to gain access to group dungeons where most of the better gear are located. not only that, it's a good way to travel around as well as you can travel to any online player within the guild. you have up to 5 slots to join player guilds, why aren't you using it? if let's say that any of the guilds are not to your liking for some reason, there are always others to join.

hope this helps and as always, have fun!
    -RavenSworn, Guild lead for <Of Wolf and Raven>
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • JESTERDAN
    JESTERDAN
    ✭✭
    llKarasll wrote: »

I can sneak to the end of each delve and jump on the boss, that doesn't make this an easy class to play. That just means you found a way to cheese in PvE like you do in PvP. I'm not a new player by any stretch of the imagination and playing with an ungeared level 36 Night Blade with no maxed skill lines is hard and not something I'd recomend to a newer player at all.

I also get the feeling that you're just being a Billy Big Balls, making out that you find it really easy so that everyone will marvel at you. If that's the case then I pity you. You're wrong and no one really cares.

To the @BoostedTurtle, Sorcerer and Templer are the easiest to start playing in my opinion. Both can be built as all-rounders, but can be very strong as pure DPS and the Templer is a great healer (Breath of Life is the strongest heal in the game, a real life saver). There's nothing stopping you making multiple character to find what's good for you. If it turns out you don't like something then just switch to something else. It won't take long for you top work out what's for you and what isn't.

I really meant the nb class is the easiest class to lvl. I'm not being negative in any way. Try lvling a tank and then switch to a nb. I really think people hate nb because they are so easy to play. I don't do pvp either. Good grief people it's not rocket surgery. When you aquire the vampire lvl4 ability and the 2 traits in medium armour for night silence you will understand how easy it is to grind with a nb. But whatever you would rather be right than math in an mmo. Good luck with your fancy house.