Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Soul Magic Skill in Builds?

BuzzZaw60
BuzzZaw60
Hello and Good Morning All

I'm playing on the console and have two "Newbie" characters going...a Breton > Mage and a Khajiit > Nightblade with both at 23 and 21. Since starting I've always slotted "Soul Magic" in my bars so to constantly fill the Soul Gems I accumulate and revive since I play solo PvE and seem to die from time-to-time and charge my weapon.

But when I look online for build ideas and how some structure their load outs, I rarely see Soul Magic Skill in there....I'm just using Soul Trap. So is this something I don't need all the time early on, in one bar only, change out when need to or perfectly fine as is for now?

In each bar on each character I put at least one of the Class Skills...so that's three slots. One Weapon Skill...another slot. And Soul Trap last slot with a Ultimate in the final. So far I've got about 22-24 Soul Gems in each character and when I pick up a empty one I'm always throwing Soul Trap along with all the other skills....

Thanks as always for your time and help....much appreciated.

BuzzZaw82 - PS4

• Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, you find filled soul gems more often than I do empty ones. So I only ever put Soul Trap on the bar when I run out of filled ones. The ultimate is sometimes used in builds I think, but for the most part people don't really use the Soul Magic's active skills in combat (I find the passives really useful.)

I put 1 skill point in Soul Lock which gives a 5% chance to fill a soul gem on any kill, and that keeps me supplied. :)
    Edited by Saturnana on May 5, 2017 11:47AM
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a baby (L4) DK tank, the only ranged attack I had was stonefist but that stuns. I wanted to make foes run to me and my baby shield. So I slotted soul trap for a couple levels just to reach out to make a foe run to me. Within another couple levels though, I found better options. Lol.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No point in keeping it slotted at all, since the skill line doesn't advance with skill use like other lines do.

Collect your empties, and every once in a while, slot the skill and go on a mudcrab killing spree to fill them.

The skillpoint in Soul Lock is better placed elsewhere, unless you simply have more than you'll ever need.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 5, 2017 12:31PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS