Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Graduating from total noob to mostly noob

pj4533
pj4533
✭✭
I started playing eso about a month ago or so, and I feel like I have a good feel for the basics of the game now, but I am having trouble adapting a bit more strategy in my game play. I feel like I am missing something.

Some specifics to help frame my preferred style: i like to play solo, focusing on questing content, going slow, enjoying everything. I'll want to do all the quest content before attempting any endgame PVE, and I avoid PVP completely.

My character is a mag sorc with all light armor and a lightning staff. My 'rotation' (if it can even be called that) is to hit power surge (i have magelight slotted), then if facing multiple enemies switch to lightning form, and start mashing force pulse, with the occasional crystal frags (when it procs). Sometimes I'll do some heavy attacks to build up overload ultimate for when I face a boss, but I rarely use it, usually just sits at 500.

I guess it speaks to the easy difficulty level of questing content that the above "strategy" mostly works for all mobs. Even if it takes a bit of time in each fight.

So, I know I need to "get good", but how? I am thinking of several things, but I couldn't really find much online help....most guides are geared toward very specific builds for endgame content, that don't really apply to me.

Ideas I have to improve:

* focus on getting comfortable switching bars (don't really do that now) -- adding liquid lightning or shields? It's tough when i can just mash a bit more, and mobs die.
* adding more light attacks -- I've seen videos on animation canceling/weaving, but I don't really get it
* adding more heavy attacks -- ?
* use my ultimate more -- maybe switch to a different ultimate?
* add in a pet -- I used the clannfear at lower levels but once I started crit healing, I switched away from it

Any tips?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty bad too, but I gather wall of elements and liquid lightning on your lightning staff bar then switch to inferno staff and medium weave between force pulse. The wall of elements is for setting enemies off balance. Force pulse is for setting off proc sets and doing damage.

It's also much easier to weave attacks with the inferno staff.

You could work on getting meteor to slot on front bar and destro ulti on back bar.
  • pj4533
    pj4533
    ✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I'm pretty bad too, but I gather wall of elements and liquid lightning on your lightning staff bar then switch to inferno staff and medium weave between force pulse. The wall of elements is for setting enemies off balance. Force pulse is for setting off proc sets and doing damage.

It's also much easier to weave attacks with the inferno staff.

You could work on getting meteor to slot on front bar and destro ulti on back bar.

Thanks, that is helpful. What do you mean exactly when you say "medium weave"? Is that the same as animation cancel/weaving where you do a light attack then hit the skill before the light attack animation finishes?
  • Sovegreina
    Sovegreina
    ✭✭
    I usually run these bars/setup when doing solo stuff.

1.BAR / MAIN / SINGLE TARGET - Preferrably Inferno Staff(easier to weave)
    Slot 1: Force Pulse
    Slot 2: Crystal Frags
    Slot 3: Power Surge
    Slot 4: Volatile familiar
    Slot 5: Inner Light
    Ultimate: Shooting Star / or Greater Storm Atronach(cn help take some of the heat of you)

2.Bar / Area of Effect
    Slot 1: Blockade of Lightning
    Slot 2: Liquid Lightning / Pulsar
    Slot 3: Hardened Ward
    Slot 4: Volatile familiar
    Slot 5: Inner Light
    Ultimate: Destro Ulti

VS Trah mobs / multiple targets
    Like you, i pop "Power Surge", then barswap and cast my shield.(Try to keep this up at all times)
    Then lay down your blockade of elements ability, followd by either "Liquid Lightning"
    or "Pulsar/Elemental Ring"(nice spammable abilty vs trash mobs)

The Volatile familiar also has a powerful AoE damage effect, so be sure to hit this button as well.
    With Power Surge active, along with the occational health pot, it should keep you alive through most stuff. Twilight Matriach and its healing ability could replace the Volatile Familiar if you find your self dying abit to much.
    If facing alot of mobs, remember that the Lightning Staff has splash damage. So keep your two AoE abilites up, keep your shield up and just heavy attack. Thats why i like having this on my second bar along with my shield.

VS singel target / bosses.
    Pretty much the same: Power Surge-->Elemental Blockade-->Liquid Lightning and shield/ward.
    Then barsswap, drop your ulti and weave you light/medium attack with force pulse, use Crystal frags
    when it procs. And as mentioned, remember to hit the button for the Volatile familar.
    Rinse and repeat.

Added a video from Deltia where he shows the basics of animation cancellig. As this can be applied to many skills, not just the single target weave.

As kylewwefan said, this is easiest on Inferno staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0O9zjMDN4

As for gear, get some help from guildies/friends etc to craft something for you and you lvl.
    Many good, craftable sets to choose from. Seducer, Julianos, Twiceborn to mention a few.

Hope it helps ;)
    Edited by Sovegreina on May 3, 2017 1:28PM
    EU | PC
    Nebarius - High Elf Sorcerer
    CP800 - Tribune
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Try to do a light attack in between everything you throw at enemies. Every other button press is la.
    The cancelling kind of comes naturally after this, like la/pulse/la/frag proc/la/pulse... etc.

You start going faster and faster, then you sort of "find" animation cancelling by default. If not, go to youtube.
    Fear is the Mindkiller