Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do I do those chat bubbles I see over people's heads??

Locriana
Locriana
✭✭✭
Playing in dungeons and hanging around town centers I often see chat bubbles over characters' heads, usually offering or asking for a particular item (hard to tell if they are offering or requesting, frankly...).
How do I write these? I'm on Xbox one.
I don't mean the annoying screen text that appears when you type a general text. (Easy to do, hard to turn off, very annoying...). The text bubbles are much better and I'd really like to use them, but there's no obvious way to do it...Have googled and find nothing current or useful.
Thanks
  • shadelon
    shadelon
    ✭✭✭
    /say, /group, /whisper channels.
    The Airstrike - Flower Lady

Champion 871 [Lv 50 Magward Healer, Lv 50 Stamward DPS, Lv 50 Warden Tank, Lv 50 MagWard DPS]

Guild Master of the League of Assassins (check us out at www.leagueofassassins-ps4.guildlaunch.com
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think atm it's just a beta feature in the menu. Not sure if you can make it appear over your head if that's what you're asking.
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    I think atm it's just a beta feature in the menu. Not sure if you can make it appear over your head if that's what you're asking.

Not Beta, I've seen it over my own head and I'm on Xbox
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • SBC
    SBC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't say that I have actually seen this in game. (PS4 NA)
  • Locriana
    Locriana
    ✭✭✭
    shadelon wrote: »

shadelon I'm not seeing that menu tree on Xbox
  • Locriana
    Locriana
    ✭✭✭
    Social/text chat/say
    creates lines of text screen, which then enables chat from many people to appear constantly onscreen and that gets in the way of the game.
    The chat bubbles above heads are much better imho.
    If this is only PC version...why am I seeing it on Xbox game?
  • Wonky_Jr
    Wonky_Jr
    ✭✭

This person knows

It depends on what text chat you have selected. ie group, zone, yell. (not sure on the other chat options, I think it is none private text)

When you type in text chat and press enter, it then displays the message above your toons head.

Hope this helps explain it a bit better.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    /say: white

/yell: red

!
  • Locriana
    Locriana
    ✭✭✭
    Wonky_Jr wrote: »

This person knows

It depends on what text chat you have selected. ie group, zone, yell. (not sure on the other chat options, I think it is none private text)

When you type in text chat and press enter, it then displays the message above your toons head.

Hope this helps explain it a bit better.

When I type in chat, it doesn't appear in a bubble. It appears in text on the screen. Like I said earlier, then all sorts of texts (from various people I'm not involved with) keep appearing onscreen, which is unwanted and obscures part of the screen.

I appreciate everyone trying to help. But if someone could just tell me what settings to set in the Xbox, and where to find them, and then where/how to type so it goes in a bubble overhead, that would be really helpful.

I'm afraid the bits of things people are writing here aren't making sense to me in relation to what I'm seeing in the xbox menus and my experience. I'm sure Shadelon knows what he's talking about but I'm afraid I don't. sorry if I'm being dense, would really like to figure this out.

I'd like to be able to communicate in this way with the people who try to communicate with chat bubbles in dungeons and elsewhere.

Thanks
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it in a dungeon the other day. I think it's the /say channel in chat.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Players Helping Players
    Staff Post
  • Zyrudin
    Zyrudin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Locriana wrote: »

When I type in chat, it doesn't appear in a bubble. It appears in text on the screen. Like I said earlier, then all sorts of texts (from various people I'm not involved with) keep appearing onscreen, which is unwanted and obscures part of the screen.

I appreciate everyone trying to help. But if someone could just tell me what settings to set in the Xbox, and where to find them, and then where/how to type so it goes in a bubble overhead, that would be really helpful.

I'm afraid the bits of things people are writing here aren't making sense to me in relation to what I'm seeing in the xbox menus and my experience. I'm sure Shadelon knows what he's talking about but I'm afraid I don't. sorry if I'm being dense, would really like to figure this out.

I'd like to be able to communicate in this way with the people who try to communicate with chat bubbles in dungeons and elsewhere.

Thanks

Go to Settings > Interface (or is it Social?) and scroll down to Chat Bubbles. You must have it on, if you see other people's, but make sure that "Own" is on, for you to see your own as a bubble too.

Note that you can only control how you see it. Other people may have this feature off altogether and will only read the chat box.
  • Locriana
    Locriana
    ✭✭✭
    Zyrudin wrote: »

Go to Settings > Interface (or is it Social?) and scroll down to Chat Bubbles. You must have it on, if you see other people's, but make sure that "Own" is on, for you to see your own as a bubble too.

Note that you can only control how you see it. Other people may have this feature off altogether and will only read the chat box.

I go to options/interface, and there is nothing called "chat bubbles". There is "quick chat, and that is enabled. There is something called "self" under than, and it is enabled? Is that what you mean?
    Now that these things are verified enabled, where do I type to get words in chat bubbles...which according to my options interface don't exist.

Under Social, there is "chat settings", with text size and "HUD chat display". When I set that to on, I see a continual stream of text on my screen (not in the bubbles), which is from all sorts of unknown people and is unwanted. So I turn it off. And I still am able to see the chat bubbles, which I want to see.

Thanks, I wish I knew what you are looking at that you see the terminology I don't. Are you on PC? I'm on Xbox.
    Edited by Locriana on May 4, 2017 4:33AM
  • Zyrudin
    Zyrudin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I wish I knew what you are looking at that you see the terminology I don't. Are you on PC? I'm on Xbox.

That must be difference then. Best to see if any XBox user can help you. :neutral:
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing in dungeons and hanging around town centers I often see chat bubbles over characters' heads, usually offering or asking for a particular item (hard to tell if they are offering or requesting, frankly...).
    How do I write these? I'm on Xbox one.
    Send the chat to the group (area is a group). It then appears as a bubble over the speaker. There's nothing you need to set/change, unless you're like me and disable them because text chat doesn't belong in an MMO in 2017.