Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Me and a fairly large group of friends are about to start playing this - what do we need to know?

Bruthar
Bruthar
Soul Shriven
Myself and about 3-6 others are going to get into this game. Ideally we'd prefer to be able to play together and quest together.

TESO is a game of three factions. If any one of us creates a character who's race is outside of the majority's faction, they're going to spawn in a whole other location beyond the introduction of the game. Will said person need to run across all of Tamriel to meet up?

Any general advice for orchestrating this group-play?

Thanks!
  • sladen_eos
    sladen_eos
    Soul Shriven
    TESO is a game of three factions. If any one of us creates a character who's race is outside of the majority's faction, they're going to spawn in a whole other location beyond the introduction of the game. Will said person need to run across all of Tamriel to meet up?

No they wont, once you've added each other as friends you can party up and fast travel to each other.
  • Marplot
    Marplot
    Soul Shriven
    With the introduction of One Tamriel, this is no longer an issue. Just group up, teleport to player, and you'll pretty much be ready to go.

Other than the solo quests, you should be able to stay grouped up just fine.

The only thing that requires you to be of the same faction is PvP. Everything else you can mix and match now.

Welcome and have fun!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm jelly. :p I have exactly one friend who's even interested in playing ESO, and his computer can't run it. If I could afford it, I'd just buy him a new graphics card and say "Merry Christmas seven months early!"
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the one hand, there are plenty of posts, videos and such that will give you a general idea about what builds/equipment and such can do well in game.

On the other hand, try things that seem interesting, after all you are here to have fun.

Even the weirdest builds can work well IF you can synergize well with a regular group.

Try a little bit of everything, even if you think you might not like it - because... you might!

Welcome to Tamriel!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh... and Skype, teamspeak or something so you can all speak to each other. When grouping in dungeon's and undaunted it's really much better if you can use voice as well as text.

And if you are stuck - ask in chat/text. Lots of friendly people around.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    Bruthar wrote: »
    Myself and about 3-6 others are going to get into this game. Ideally we'd prefer to be able to play together and quest together.

Any general advice for orchestrating this group-play?

Thanks!

A simple and balanced team play:
    Tank/heavy armored warrior; usually best role as group leader(since you can take on damage).
    Damage Dealer/spellcaster; warrior, archer, assassin.
    Healer or support/keep yourself and allies alive; preferred ranged abilities.

If you and your allies are in different factions, consider the party system(usually [P]).
    Create a group; as the group leader, you can invite your friends; simply type in their player name or @ username.
    After the group is formed and filled, you can right click their names in the menu and fast travel to them.
    You can adventure together with no alliance feud. B)
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voice chat. Everything else is easily facilitated in-game.

Try a bunch of different stuff for a few weeks and figure out what and how everyone likes to play. Don't be afraid to scrap a character if you don't like it early on.

Don't make it too complicated - with three people you should be able to do all the quests and stuff with no problem. When you go to a 4-man dungeon you might want to get more organized, but just for questing you'll actually probably want to just go in pairs.

In the beginning if you want to do PvP you probably want to be the same faction, so that limits you a bit. Some people will probably want to get the "Adventurers Pack" that will allow them to make any race in any faction. Let's say 4 people in the group want to be Elves but one person wants to be an Orc - you need the adventurers pack if you want to be in the same faction and on the same side in PvP.

You don't need to buy any of the DLC's until you complete the main story line really (I bought them but there is so much to do they just sit there for about 3-6 months), but if you want to do battlegrounds together or if someone wants a Warden you will also have to buy Vardenfell.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something to keep in mind is that even though you can totally port to each other and run around together(with exception of the few instanced quests) open world is generally heavily catered to solo play, so you'd find mobs dying as soon as each of you lands a light attack on them basically. One exception being World Bosses, these can be fun even for a group sometimes. Other group-oriented things would be PvP or group dungeons(that's for a group of 4 though). There're also Trials but they're for a group of 12, though technically you should be able to do normal trials with ~6 aside from some mechanics like pads in AA that require exactly 12 people to stand on them.
  • Bruthar
    Bruthar
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks everyone for the kind advice. Good to know that no one will be faction locked in terms of questing and dungeons!

I think the setup we have going atm is:

Me: Magicka Altmer Sorcerer Ranged DPS
    Friend1: Health Dragon Knight Tank
    Friend2: Stamina Nightblade Melee/Ranged DPS
    Friend3: Magicka Templar Healer
    Friend4: Miscellanious (likely DPS)
    Friend5: Miscellanious (likely DPS)

No joke, I've been looking up recently uploaded TESO videos and found this one on my own. You do good work Caine! Keep it up!

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of the standard guides are:
    Some of the specifics in some of the posts are obsolete, but a lot of the material is still valid.
  • oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO Nightblade. NO Templar.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    oibam wrote: »
    NO Nightblade. NO Templar.

That's an overreaction in the case of magicka Templar.

And an alt Bosmer/Khajiit nightblade dedicated solely to crime is fun. Just don't make that your first/main character.