The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anybody noticed how "Crown Sellers" (Mimic stones) ruined prices of Night Pumice? (PC NA example)

Rinmaethodain
Rinmaethodain
✭✭✭✭✭
Im posting about it right now but it started the very day of Homestead Release.
Night pumice price at Writ Voucher vendor is 8 Vouchers. When Homestead was released, generally Master Writs would go for 4k+ per voucher (not including cost of crafting writ) which puts Night Pumice value at 32k gold. But as soon as people could log in to game, these materials started appearing in guild traders for as low as 10k each (and even less).
How is it possible you will ask? People can buy Mimic Stones using Crowns (real money) and then knowing at least 1 chapter of any style they can craft lvl1 items with Mimic Stones and then deconstruct them to obtain Style Material.
Fast forward to today, I'm seeing Night Pumices sold in traders for as low as 2k each while with current Master Writs prices it should put a 8 Voucher item at 10k value at least (with Master Writs being at ~1.4k per voucher not including crafting cost).

Why am I talking about this? Night Pumices were the cheapest method for any player who got ahold of Master Writ package to gain some gold from it (there are 10 Voucher Hlalu Furniture Letters but as of PTS 3.0.0 they are already being increased in price to 25 Writ Vouchers). With just 8 writ vouchers (two smallest rune/potion MW's) someone could earn gold but this way of earning gold was invalidated by people gaining profits from Real Money exchange.

But this problem goes beyond Night Pumice and Master Writs. Practically, any future style material released in game, no matter how rare to obtain it is, will have its price brought to the bottom by Mimic Stone sellers and all the hard work, of any player who will obtain these hypthetical rare style stones in a legitimate way, will be invalidated. And I find this to be a serious issue.
Edited by Rinmaethodain on April 30, 2017 10:19AM
  • Fabulosity
    Fabulosity
    ✭✭✭
    The boxes from the anniversary event were able to drop night pumice. Even then, there are still plenty of other ways to make money in game, so I'm not going to complain about cheap crafting materials.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This MAY be a problem, but I think you might overestimate the number of people willing to throw real money at the game just to manipulate market prices, out of spite or boredom or a sense of doing the community a favor by lowering prices on rare and highly sought items or whatever.

For me anyway, it has more to do with gaining a TON of pumice through the random drops from Anniversary boxes during the recent event, just doing 6 daily writs on all my 12 characters each day while it was active.

I suspect this is the case for many others as well, and it definitely plays a role in the depreciation of their current value, which may normalize higher over time.
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a mentioned in my post, this was an issue long before Anniversary. The value misalignment between Night Pumice and Writ Vouchers appeared within first days of Homestead release.
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on April 30, 2017 10:41AM
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it might have more to do with the fact that it's not as useful as other things that can be bought with vouchers. The only people who have a use for it are people who know ebony style. And who knew ebony style on the first day??? Sure you can buy a page for, what, 25 vouchers? But most people saved up to get the complete chapter, so it took a while for anyone to have a use for it. Those people are probably quite capable of obtaining their own night pumice and they also have the option of crafting with mimic stones. So ya, no reason for night pumice prices to ever match the per voucher price if of things.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nickl413 wrote: »
    I think it might have more to do with the fact that it's not as useful as other things that can be bought with vouchers. The only people who have a use for it are people who know ebony style. And who knew ebony style on the first day??? Sure you can buy a page for, what, 25 vouchers? But most people saved up to get the complete chapter, so it took a while for anyone to have a use for it. Those people are probably quite capable of obtaining their own night pumice and they also have the option of crafting with mimic stones. So ya, no reason for night pumice prices to ever match the per voucher price if of things.

This
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Using crown gems to obtain crown mats is a poor way to get gold imo. Not every deconstructed piece returns a mat. I deconstructed a 7 piece Frostcaster set due to an error and only got 4 mats back. You really would have to have more money than sense to make gold this way when there's a lot better and quicker ways to make gold.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a mentioned in my post, this was an issue long before Anniversary. The value misalignment between Night Pumice and Writ Vouchers appeared within first days of Homestead release.

You would really need to prove that... But

It is more likely people bought night pumice and it never sold because it is so easy to MAKE Ebony using the mimic stones. Meaning all that Night Pumice people bought had no values. Que the anniversary and the market floods even more. Massive value drop.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The people useing real money to make gold are buying it against the ToS from 3rd party websites not useing crowns
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also worth remembering, Crypt of Hearts drops Ebon Armory (or, at least I think that's where the set drops). Once Homestead released, those pieces could be deconned to obtain the style stone. Meaning there was already an abundant source of Night Pumice in-game, completely disconnected from being able to actually craft Ebony gear, when the patch dropped.
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also worth remembering, Crypt of Hearts drops Ebon Armory (or, at least I think that's where the set drops). Once Homestead released, those pieces could be deconned to obtain the style stone. Meaning there was already an abundant source of Night Pumice in-game, completely disconnected from being able to actually craft Ebony gear, when the patch dropped.

Ebon Amory set is not in "Ebon" style as weird as it sounds. Old "Ebon Armory" gear pieces from before One Tamriel would be classived as "Soul Shriven" style while after one tamriel they are classiffied as "uncategorised style" - it's impossible to obtain Night pumice by deconstructing "Ebon Armory" set pieces.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go gamble on Ravager pieces in Vlastarus. Get Night Pumice. #freewin

Not sure if it's a bug. But deconstructing Ravager pieces gives you Night Pumice.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it's a bug. But deconstructing Ravager pieces gives you Night Pumice.

Well they should, because Ravager is Ebony style.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Well they should, because Ravager is Ebony style.

I am aware of that. But I haven't seen any other set in Cyro(Although I went only gambling in Cropsford so can't say for certain) in Ebony Style. although I might be wrong.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |

My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Blacksmoke
    Blacksmoke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh! I never thought about doing this.. Thanks for the tip!
    Champion point: 645
    Characters
    Ganlian Stormian - AD - Dungeon healer - Templar - Crafter
    Ondaril Stormian - AD - Trail DPS - Sorcerer
    Shagrod gro-Bolmog - AD - PVP - Dragonknight
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Homestead was released, generally Master Writs would go for 4k+ per voucher (not including cost of crafting writ) which puts Night Pumice value at 32k gold. But as soon as people could log in to game, these materials started appearing in guild traders for as low as 10k each (and even less).
    How is it possible you will ask?

Because the people who tried to artificially inflate the price of master writs and associated items lost the war.
    There were whole arguments in Craglorn about how master writs should always be 5k per voucher.
    And the seasoned crafters looked at those people, rolled their eyes, and kept doing their thing.

Sensible crafters protected the market from inflation. And in a way, the situation corrected itself. Master writs are already expensive to make. They were never going to be sustainable at 5k per voucher. And now with the traders full of them, 1.5k to 2k per voucher may be asking too much when it costs far less to randomly acquire them yourself.
    signing off
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do it to wind people up like the OP.
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    When Homestead was released, generally Master Writs would go for 4k+ per voucher (not including cost of crafting writ) which puts Night Pumice value at 32k gold. But as soon as people could log in to game, these materials started appearing in guild traders for as low as 10k each (and even less).

Because the people who tried to artificially inflate the price of master writs and associated items lost the war.
    There were whole arguments in Craglorn about how master writs should always be 5k per voucher.
    And the seasoned crafters looked at those people, rolled their eyes, and kept doing their thing.

Sensible crafters protected the market from inflation. And in a way, the situation corrected itself. Master writs are already expensive to make. They were never going to be sustainable at 5k per voucher. And now with the traders full of them, 1.5k to 2k per voucher may be asking too much when it costs far less to randomly acquire them yourself.

Im sorry, but this thread is not here to discuss price of Master Writs separately or why does Master Writs costs what they cost now.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebon Amory set is not in "Ebon" style as weird as it sounds. Old "Ebon Armory" gear pieces from before One Tamriel would be classived as "Soul Shriven" style while after one tamriel they are classiffied as "uncategorised style" - it's impossible to obtain Night pumice by deconstructing "Ebon Armory" set pieces.

I went back and checked. Yeah, the motif returns as "None" under the craftstore build I'm using. "Uncategorized Style," would just be how your addon chooses to parse a null string on the motif.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I haven't run COA since Homestead dropped, so I'm not sure if this has been updated with new drops or not.
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You would really need to prove that... But

It is more likely people bought night pumice and it never sold because it is so easy to MAKE Ebony using the mimic stones. Meaning all that Night Pumice people bought had no values. Que the anniversary and the market floods even more. Massive value drop.

Yeah. I will use mimic stones before I will pay an obscene amount for the style item in a guild trader. The OP expecting 32k gold for night pumice? Lol no way.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sorry, but this thread is not here to discuss price of Master Writs separately or why does Master Writs costs what they cost now.

No, that's pretty relevant to the topic at hand.

You're saying, "hey, people were converting crowns into cash via these stones." Which, okay, yeah, that's possible. But then you really need to ask yourself if it's an economically viable plan. If someone would have made 1m from selling an Ebony book, vs eating it, and then turning crowns into, let's be generous and say, 30k a piece. Remembering that not every decon will return a style mat, and that there is no way (currently) to buy the Ebony book...

Yeah, the cost and value of the writs is pretty relevant.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mimic stones are P2W until they remove the ability to get the item back when deconstructing.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're saying, "hey, people were converting crowns into cash via these stones." Which, okay, yeah, that's possible. But then you really need to ask yourself if it's an economically viable plan. If someone would have made 1m from selling an Ebony book, vs eating it, and then turning crowns into, let's be generous and say, 30k a piece. Remembering that not every decon will return a style mat, and that there is no way (currently) to buy the Ebony book...

Its relevant to the topic only when paired together, current price of Night Pumice and current price of Writ Vouchers etc. Read the post that i quoted as "unrelated to topic", its creator is starting to discuss the history of Writ Voucher prices completely detached from the price of Night Pumices and getting into some sort of conspiracy to keep Master Writ prices high.

In addition to that a lot of you who are replying is twisting my words (or you dont read whole of my post). You are acting as if I want everyone to pay 30k for Night Pumices all the time whit is not true. That 32k was a theoretical value of Night Pumice at the release day when Master Writ Vouchers were worth 4k (4*8=?). If you read further into my post instead of jumping into conclusion you will see that later I mention current situation where Master Writs are now worth ~1.4k/voucher which puts value of Night Pumices at ~10k - but its so much easier to use that first value of 32k from the past and then apply it to present situation in order to ridicule my argument, right?
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on April 30, 2017 8:55PM
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good. It prevents players from getting money. This is always good.
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its relevant to the topic only when paired together, current price of Night Pumice and current price of Writ Vouchers etc. Read the post that i quoted as "unrelated to topic", its creator is starting to discuss the history of Writ Voucher prices completely detached from the price of Night Pumices and getting into some sort of conspiracy to keep Master Writ prices high.

In addition to that a lot of you who are replying is twisting my words (or you dont read whole of my post). You are acting as if I want everyone to pay 30k for Night Pumices all the time whit is not true. That 32k was a theoretical value of Night Pumice at the release day when Master Writ Vouchers were worth 4k (4*8=?). If you read further into my post instead of jumping into conclusion you will see that later I mention current situation where Master Writs are now worth ~1.4k/voucher which puts value of Night Pumices at ~10k - but its so much easier to use that first value of 32k from the past and then apply it to present situation in order to ridicule my argument, right?

Even 10k is too much for a style item that can be gained fairly quickly even if you only have one character doing master writs. 10k for a style item for purely cosmetic reasons is too much when gold improvement mats that actually improve armor are cheaper. You need to factor in what the consumer will pay when pricing items, and that is a big reason why prices fall.
    Edited by Tholian1 on April 30, 2017 9:48PM
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tholian1 wrote: »

Even 10k is too much for a style item that can be gained fairly quickly even if you only have one character doing master writs. 10k for a style item for purely cosmetic reasons is too much when improvement mats that actually improve armor are cheaper. You need to factor in what the consumer will pay when pricing items, and that is a big reason why prices fall.

There is no more Anniversary event going on.

Lets theoretically assume that players are unable to obtain Night Pumices by using Mimic Stones.

With that, only way to get Night Pumice is either buy it with Writ Vouchers or ?deconstruct Ravager equipment?.

With average price of Writ Vouchers (on PC NA) being ~1.4k voucher do you think that player who spends 11.2k to obtain a Master Writ that awards him 8 Writ Voucher would really sell his own Night Pumice (for which he spents all 8 Writ Vouchers at vendor) for a ~2.5k gold (current prices in traders on PC NA) which is less than 25% of what normally night pumice would be worth based on value of Writ Voucher, simply because they factor "what consumer will pay"?

Would "deconstructed ravager equipment" be enough to drive Night Pumice price to 0.25 of its source value?

Being honest here, I would simply decide not to sell Night Pumice anymore and just move on to next in tier Writ Voucher reward (which is currently purple furniture letter).
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on April 30, 2017 9:55PM
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even 10k is too much for a style item that can be gained fairly quickly even if you only have one character doing master writs. 10k for a style item for purely cosmetic reasons is too much when improvement mats that actually improve armor are cheaper. You need to factor in what the consumer will pay when pricing items, and that is a big reason why prices fall.

Lets consider this: for now lets assume that players are unable to obtain Night Pumice from Mimic Stones.

Only way to get Night Pumice is either buy it with Writ Vouchers or ?deconstruct Ravager equipment.

With average price of Writ Vouchers (on PC NA) being ~1.4k voucher do you think that player who spends 11.2k to obtain a Master Writ that awards him 8 Writ Voucher would really sell his own Night Pumice (for which he spents all 8 Writ Vouchers) for a ~2.5k gold (current prices in traders on PC NA) which is less than 25% of what normally night pumice would be worth based on value of Writ Voucher, simply because they factor "what consumer will pay"?

Would "deconstructed ravager equipment" be enough to drive Night Pumice price to 0.25 of its value?

Being honest here, I would simply decide not to sell Night Pumice anymore and just move on to next in tier Writ Voucher reward (which is currently purple furniture letter).

I don't buy master writs, so it is no big deal for me to list Night Pumice way below what someone who is buying master writs is selling them for. I think you are underestimating (or forgetting about) how many people are doing master writs without buying them.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't deconstructing ravager equipment be enough?
    It means that *everyone* got access to it & don't give me the "AP is hard to gain"-argument, as it is *not*. When everyone got access to it => Nobody buys it, as it can be easily obtained on their own => Demand falls => Market price falls.

If there's no demand in the market for it, of course prices fall.
    PC - EU.

• CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol
    I don't care how rare they are. I'm not paying 10k for a style mat.

I believe that is the answer to your conundrum.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets consider this: for now lets assume that players are unable to obtain Night Pumice from Mimic Stones.

Only way to get Night Pumice is either buy it with Writ Vouchers or ?deconstruct Ravager equipment.

With average price of Writ Vouchers (on PC NA) being ~1.4k voucher do you think that player who spends 11.2k to obtain a Master Writ that awards him 8 Writ Voucher would really sell his own Night Pumice (for which he spents all 8 Writ Vouchers) for a ~2.5k gold (current prices in traders on PC NA) which is less than 25% of what normally night pumice would be worth based on value of Writ Voucher, simply because they factor "what consumer will pay"?

Would "deconstructed ravager equipment" be enough to drive Night Pumice price to 0.25 of its value?

I don't buy master writs, so it is no big deal for me to list Night Pumice way below what someone who is buying master writs is selling them for. I think you are underestimating (or forgetting about) how many people are doing master writs without buying them.

Combine that with the supply/demand factors for a style stone that few people would have much use for. You can easily spend 8 vouchers, get 10k for it, and then not have to worry about RNG on the furniture packet screwing you.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much misinformation in this thread that it hurts my eyes.

- No you cannot decon Ebon armor gear to get Night Pumice
    - No the dropping price of Night Pumice isn't because of mimic stone sellers. It's because of anniversary boxes. You underestimate just how many style mats that got thrown out into the community with that.
    - Just wait till Midyear Mayhem hits us this summer, and you can watch the style mats from Akaviri and Alliance styles to plummet as well
    - Yes the 8 voucher per mat for Night Pumice is about 8 times more expensive as it should be, and utterly rediculous. And I'm actually glad I stocked up 250+ Pumices from the anniversary event so I don't have to buy this poop with my vouchers
    - Implementation of Harlequin and Frostcaster motifs was done so utterly rediculously and stupidly that I thank Mimic stone sellers that I have 400+ of one style mat and 200+ of the other for my crafting. The fact that you had to rely on Mimic stones for this instead of style mats dropping somehow/somewhere was a typical greedy ZO$ decision

// Carbonised - out