The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mag Sorc DPS help

botanist92
Im currently 320? CP and im wearing purple spinners and magnus sets. with food and bound aegies+inner light i roughly have about 40k magicka and around 2k spell damage. with this im only doing around 20k dps. how do i even go up to 40k dps???
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What skills/rotation are you using?
  • botanist92
    im doing liquid lightning+blockade and force pulse with cfrag procs
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    If you are only going for max dps go ilambris, burning spellweave and infallible 3 piece. Maelstrom lightning on back and custom or infallible inferno on front. Have the staffs sharpened and use spell damage glyphs on jewelry. Use damage glyph on inferno staff also.

Make sure u have surge on your rotation to keep it on all the time, you need the 20% damage buff. Other than that liquid lightning, blockade and force pulse with proc frags should do the job.

U can also try the petbuild, but thats something I'm not familiar with.
    Edited by shack80 on April 30, 2017 11:04AM
  • stileanima
    stileanima
    ✭✭✭✭
    shack80 wrote: »
    If you are only going for max dps go ilambris, burning spellweave and infallible 3 piece. Maelstrom lightning on back and custom or infallible inferno on front. Have the staffs sharpened and use spell damage glyphs on jewelry. Use damage glyph on inferno staff also.

Make sure u have surge on your rotation to keep it on all the time, you need the 20% damage buff. Other than that liquid lightning, blockade and force pulse with proc frags should do the job.

U can also try the petbuild, but thats something I'm not familiar with.

Some of this information is not entirely correct. For example, a Sorc will benefit more from front-barring a shock staff, not a flame staff, as a good chunk of DPS comes in the form of AOE DOTs. A shock staff will increase the damage of said AOE DOTs as that is the bar you will be on throughout a majority of your rotation.

Power Surge is not needed either, unless you need self heals. Spell power pots will give you the same buff as Power Surge, and have the added benefit of freeing up a skill slot for something else more useful.

And, yeah, pet = more deeps.
    Platform: PC/NA
    Guild: Calamity
    Role: Healer/Damage Dealer

YouTube | Twitch
  • botanist92
    but is bsw really a must? is there anything else i can replace it with? currently my bar set up is as follows:

bar 1 (lightning): hardened ward, blockade, liquid, bound aegis, inner light
    bar 2: (fire) surge, frags, pulse, aegis and light

if i were to use bsw id have to swap blockade over to bar 2 and id have to bar swap to refresh my ground aoes. then theres also the 8% that actually comes from lightning staves.

plus as an altmer sorc i have more passives into shock damage.. yes the proc for bsw is good but is there anything else i can use that is as good ?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 5-piece Burning Spellweave vs. Julianos comparison is roughly:
    • 600 Spell Power when procced vs 300 Spellpower all the time
    • 129 Spell Power vs. 688 Spell Critical

That's hardly going to make a 2X difference in DPS.

BSW's advantage is bigger if you can get a weapon in it, because then you can still have the other 5-piece bonus much of the time. Even then, 600 Spell Power is more like 10% added to DPS than it is 100%, and the real effect is lower because you don't have perfect uptime.
  • botanist92
    i havent gotten my ilambris yet but i doubt its going to make much of a huge difference..
    in any case currently im using 5 pc spinners, 4 pc magnus and planning for 2 piece ilambris.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Basically, there are a lot of ways with gear to add 2-5%+ each to DPS. But they're not going to double it.

A gold weapon vs. purple, by the way, is one of those ways.
  • botanist92
    So how do I double it in my case? Through more cp?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestions: Necropotence instead of BSW. Use Familiar and Prey. Shooting Star on cooldown. Spell pots on cooldown. Replace your usual shield spot with Ele Drain. Execute range with Wrath if you can manage the bar space. CP into Ele Expert to 90ish, rest into Thaumaturge. You will miss out on dps because of low cp, no vMA staff, no Minor Slayer buff, no Exploiter passive, and any missed weaving or clunkiness in your rotation. Don't expect 40k. Shoot for 30k right now
    Edited by dpencil1 on May 1, 2017 2:25AM
  • botanist92
    but i kind of find shields important. my main attacking skills take out 4 out of 10 slots. pets will take 2 more slots. + 1 slot for prey. im left with 3.. i should be using inner light for more crit.. plus theres also bound aegis to consider.. its so annoying that using these skills take up so many slots.
  • botanist92
    i was thinking if i should just sack off my ilambris since i dont find that it procs much. should i just wear 2 sets + 1 spell damage helmet instead?
    2 sets im thinking of is:
    1) necro + julianos
    2) necro + spinners
    3) necro + bsw
    4) bsw + julianos
    5) bsw + spinners

though im still not in favor of bsw and still on the fence with it.

anyways. for a stam dk tank. is it viable to play as a dot tank? i was thinking of having a sword and shield bar with a dw bar where the dw bar ill just apply dots like venom claw + twin slash + caltrops?? or is that a bad idea? for dots like these i dont really need much crit right? and should i consider wearing valkyn skoria for this?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much in the same setting except not pulling 20k self buffed, gold nerco+juliaonos purple outside of gold sharpened staffs lightning front and fire back.
    Is spinner an PvE set, thinking that tank and healer should debuff? In PvP and the insane resistances you want battleship killers.
    Yes, I should update armor to medium+ heavy one or two pieces of monster set, two will loose the 5 bonus on julianos.
    Not so much rotation, has an naga mouse who helps a lot but tend to overshoot frag proc with one pulse.
    Has inner light and pet on both bars,
    Surge before fight swap, scamp, daeric prey, swap, LL, wall of element swap, swap pulse with frag on proc.
    scamp , curse, swap, LL and wall, surge if needed, swap and repeat.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @botanist92
    - You put Ele Drain on for a skeleton parse, but you usually use a shield on that slot when fighting real enemies.
    - If you're using lightning/fire with force pulse, you should get good uptime with BSW and Ilambris. If doing double lightning and/or using a heavy attack build then thsee won't be as optimal.
    - Necropotence and Grothdarr actually work better for consistent damage with a pet heavy attack double lightning build.
    - Using Julianos with Necropotence (which I think is preferable to Spinner's since you can craft the pieces you need to get 5/1/1) would work fine too if you don't want a monster set. Just need one monster helm or shoulder.
  • botanist92
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    @botanist92
    - You put Ele Drain on for a skeleton parse, but you usually use a shield on that slot when fighting real enemies.
    - If you're using lightning/fire with force pulse, you should get good uptime with BSW and Ilambris. If doing double lightning and/or using a heavy attack build then thsee won't be as optimal.
    - Necropotence and Grothdarr actually work better for consistent damage with a pet heavy attack double lightning build.
    - Using Julianos with Necropotence (which I think is preferable to Spinner's since you can craft the pieces you need to get 5/1/1) would work fine too if you don't want a monster set. Just need one monster helm or shoulder.

not that i dont want a monster set but i find my proc chances very very low.. you would think that having liquid lightning + blockade of storms down weaving lights and force pulse would at least give a decent uptime on ilambris but i barely even see it. so i was thinking if this proc is worth the loss of another 5th piece bonus?

anyways ive decided to farm for necropotence but its probably gonna be hell. though morrowind is coming and im a little skeptical about necro + julianos/bsw..

any input on my stam dk tank?
    Edited by botanist92 on May 7, 2017 9:47AM