Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

ESO needs to change something regarding Patterns or Mats

Katki
Katki
So, Like a lot of you, I love the housing - want to decorate it, and I understand it will take time for me to gather and have it 'completely finished' - but the way things are right now is absolutely ridiculous

The drop rates for Bast are horrible.. The other mats don't drop very often either, in my experience. But I find Bast to be slower than others

The other issue I have is with the requirements of some of the patterns themselves - FOR EXAMPLE

If I want to make 8 Purple level Redguard Pillows (Oasis -Blue) (*8 being a small number, I like pillows! In game AND real life )
With 8 Purple Level Redguard Pillow Rolls (Oasis-Blue) to go with them - like they use in game in some Khajiit Homes
I would need the following totals to make 8 sets of pillows (So one square pillow for the 'seat' with a roll pillow for the 'back' to make a chair)

Bast -192
Deco Wax - 128
Sapphire - 256
Alc Resin - 128
Starmetal - 240
Ele Lining - 48

FOR 8 PILLOW CHAIRS... that's ridiculous - I've been saving mats since Beta and I do not have enough Starmetal to make these AND any other furnishings I might want -

ZOS please reconsider your drop rate for mats OR lower the requirement for some of these patterns?

• ASkullParty
    ASkullParty
    ✭✭
    It would help a lot if furniture mats could be gotten from refining raw materials as well. I usually have plenty of mundane runes and resin, but I'm always hurting for heartwood and regulus.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the material costs are a little absurd.

And starmetal you can buy off a vendor for 15g each. Hit up the clothing/woodworking/blacksmithing supply vendors.
  • Haulinash
    Haulinash
    ✭✭✭
    Or being able to decon crafted items with a chance to get some mats back... Seems to me that should be a thing already.
    Thank the stars! I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else out here. Please, I ne- STAB! STAB! STABSTABSTABSTABSTAB!
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Katki wrote: »
    So, Like a lot of you, I love the housing - want to decorate it, and I understand it will take time for me to gather and have it 'completely finished' - but the way things are right now is absolutely ridiculous

The drop rates for Bast are horrible.. The other mats don't drop very often either, in my experience. But I find Bast to be slower than others

The other issue I have is with the requirements of some of the patterns themselves - FOR EXAMPLE

If I want to make 8 Purple level Redguard Pillows (Oasis -Blue) (*8 being a small number, I like pillows! In game AND real life )
    With 8 Purple Level Redguard Pillow Rolls (Oasis-Blue) to go with them - like they use in game in some Khajiit Homes
    I would need the following totals to make 8 sets of pillows (So one square pillow for the 'seat' with a roll pillow for the 'back' to make a chair)

Bast -192
    Deco Wax - 128
    Sapphire - 256
    Alc Resin - 128
    Starmetal - 240
    Ele Lining - 48

FOR 8 PILLOW CHAIRS... that's ridiculous - I've been saving mats since Beta and I do not have enough Starmetal to make these AND any other furnishings I might want -

ZOS please reconsider your drop rate for mats OR lower the requirement for some of these patterns?

if you look, you can find lotsa "furnishing mats need to change because xyz drop is bad" and if you look closer you will find they vary as to what xyz is.

What you do when you play, content you usually run etc has a much greater impact on what drops you get than anything else does and will.

While you are not finding bast, some other folks are. While you are wanting to make pillows, someone else wants to make orc counters or orc blocks to build walkways and so they need the wood and could care less about their bast.

The best way to get what you want as far as mats is to do whatever content you enjoy that produces good amounts of gold (or cashable loot) and then use guild stores to convert gold into mats as you need them. This is far and away more productive than farming mat drops for stuff you dont routinely find enough of.

one of these threads will have someone complaining they spent an entire morning hunting heartwood and found 2 pieces of heartwood. it sold then for maybe 400g and for Almalexia's sake you can do something fun and get 800 gold in way way way way less time than that.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the idea is that homes slowly become more and more finished as you play, not that you can furnish them all in one go.

If you are on PC/NA and have heartwood, I'd totally trade you Bast(3 Bast to every 2 heartwood). Poke at @Jaeysa
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    I believe the idea is that homes slowly become more and more finished as you play, not that you can furnish them all in one go.

If you are on PC/NA and have heartwood, I'd totally trade you Bast(3 Bast to every 2 heartwood). Poke at @Jaeysa

Without taking sides on the matter, ZoS made the system such that you can own one of every home. Most people I know have multiple. So should the rarity be against one home or multiple?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furnishing your house is a game within the game. If you don't like it, play of a different way. I can think of five motif styles that would instantly sell for $25k+ per chapter. My personal strategy in your situation would be to casually play these for a week, pile up $100k gold then buy mats. It would be ten times faster than farming.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly why my Mistveil Keep manor has 1 bed, 1 fire pit and 5 crafting stations.

I also have 3 paintings and a bass that I found in the wild...

I'm not making *** until they address the materials issue.

Edited by Bouldercleave on May 1, 2017 6:53PM
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that part of the problem is that you just focus on on one or two rare mats.

Do you regularly do foraging runs (like once or twice a day)?

I have plenty of all the raw Furniture Mats but it took a fair while to build up enough in my craft bag.

In early stages Fine Pelts seemed rare but once I worked out that you need to regularly kill skeevers to get them, the problem was solved.

I do not sell mats or Furniture so what I have suffices for my needs.

Malborn
    All Alliances
    L50 470 CP

Disable the key mapping for Crown Crates - you know it makes sense!

• Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another way of looking at it is, what is your time worth?
    Let's say you make $10.00 per hour.
    Crowns are roughly equal to a penny, way less if you buy during a sale.

Redguard pillows go for between 25 and 70 crowns, we'll say $0.25 and $0.70 real money just to make this all easy.
    Say you want 8 of the 0.25 pillows, and 8 of the 0.70 pillows, so that's $7.60 real money, less than an hour's real life wages.

As you point out, how many hours to accumulate 250 starmetal, ~200 bast, or 250 sapphires? Months? Who knows, but a lot. A lot more than it will take you to earn $7.60 I bet.

Some people scoff and say they'd sooner die than spend "real" money on "virtual" items. But when you equate your time with money, it's far far cheaper to just buy what you want from the crown store in most cases.
  • Katki
    Katki
    I'm glad to see that this topic has generated some discussion.

I do understand that ZOS wants us to keep playing the game, and so it makes sense that they 'drag out' the decorating process by making the mats 'rare' and keep the drop rates lower. So from the ZOS point of view - there's nothing wrong per se.
    But from MY pov - I would like to be able to decorate the way I want, when I want - so that I can move on to the next house I'd like to own. I don't mind it taking some time, but the way it is now - its not good.

I know there are many schools of thought when it comes to this issue - but I guess the main point here - Is THIS what housing is all about - DECORATING? That's it?? No storage? No advantage to owning a home? - JUST decorating?

Well...that's disappointing - agreed? I truly hope that housing in ESO will come to have an actual use.

- PS. In response to the last post, Yeah, I farm mats EVERYDAY, My toon is level 50 CP 600+ with maxxed crafting skills... so I have little else to do, and because ESO is my only hobby - I don't mind spending the odd bit of REAL money on the game - I've been playing/hoarding since Beta!
    - but that... is not the point here. Drop rates are pretty bad - no question
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out the size of those heartwood pieces. They've gotta be tiny as hell for me to need that many.