The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player, several questions.

Tyval
Tyval
Soul Shriven
Hello there.

Recently returned to the game, trying to catch up on all the changes and have several questions.

1) I've heard talk of dps checks using the skeleton dummy. Where do I find these dummies and which ones should I use?

Regarding Character/classes
I've got lvl50s for templar, sorc and nightblade with 280 CP.

Current gear is purple CP150 with CP160 weapons Julianos is my main set.

Class wise I'm leaning towards NB or Sorc as main.(probably both magicka unless stamina gets a bit better before update) I enjoy the playstyle of Sorc more but fearful of over nerfs before expansion so keeping both viable.

What kinds of gear should I be looking for. I read that there are monster drops now? From World bosses?
Are there any sets that I could purchase from players that would help? I can craft up to 8 trait items now.

Just really confused on how I should proceed. I'm thinking to hold off on crafting the cp160 and upping to orange until the changes are more solidified.

Basically for gear I can craft, buy from players or maybe do the zone/monster drops. I'm certainly not ready to run dungeons other than the easy normal ones.

Any tips welcome!

Thanks
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back:)

1)Well your options for the dummy are
    A) Making it yourself, you'll need to buy the recipe at master writ merchant, for which you'll need to complete master writs(which give you vouchers you can use to buy certain things at that vendor). Master writs are "go craft item x of set y with trait z in quality q" tasks that you sometimes get for doing normal daily writs. It might take you a while.
    B ) Buy it off someone who can make it, they go for...actually I don't remember, several hundred thousand gold now I believe?
    C) Use someone else's. These dummies are for placing in one's home so you could go to a friend's if they don't mind sharing or join a guild that has a guildhall with these.

2) Sorc is unarguably very strong right now and it looks like it'll stay that in Morrowind. Which even I, someone maining a magsorc, am not too happy about but whatever. For gear, it's actually a bit hard to say now since Morrowind will change so many things, so not golding things out til then is probably wise. However, Julianos is a very decent option. Get Willpower jewelry(you can but it off guildstores, I think they generally go for 10-15k gold now) to go along with it and just make Seducer or something for head, shoulders and weapons for now.

Monster sets are a pretty old addition to the game, long before cp in fact, so you've probably seen them before. They're 2 piece (head and shoulders) sets with unique bonuses, something like "1 piece - max magicka, 2 pieces - 10% chance to shoot a giant fireball at your enemy when you deal fire damage to them"(note this is not a specific set but just a general idea). If you wanna see specifics, check it out at elderscrollsonline wiki. Illambris is currently best for sorc. Head pieces of these sets drop from last bosses of veteran dungeons, shoulders from the Undaunted chests that you open with keys you get for doing daily Undaunted pledges("go do dungeon X") quests.

Julianos+Willpower combo should be good enough to get you through most everything this game has to offer tbh, do keep the weapons cp 160 and gold them out though if you can. Tempers aren't too pricey atm and the difference between gold and purple cp 160 weapons is pretty huge. Armor now, not so much. You'll want to look up some rotations online, could check Alcast's guides for example. Basically most every magicka dps is drop dots->use spammable til dots need refreshing ->rinse and repeat. Sorc dots are Liquid Lightning, Wall of Elements, Familiar pulse (if you use it) and Curse. Spammable is Force Shock with Crystal Frags on proc...or just heavy attacks on a pet build possibly. Ugh. I'm not a fan of that one lol. But do keep in mind things are likely to change without Morrowind.

Another very strong option for a magsorc is Necropotence. Pet build. It's stupid strong right now and for some bizarre reason it'll likely stay as strong with Morrowind. You'll still want Illambris and Willpower (ideally Moondancer or Infallible Aether from trials, but Willpower is fine really) to go with that. Necropotence is basically max magicka*3+moar max magicka with pets out. It's an overland set so you can farm it yourself in Rivenspire(check elderscrollsonline wiki for what drops which pieces) or buy it off other players - it's pretty pricey right now though.

Good luck on your adventures ;)
    Edited by Magdalina on April 28, 2017 7:59PM
  • Tyval
    Tyval
    Soul Shriven

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Exactly what I was looking for.

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some expansion:

Level: C160 gear would help you a lot. It's relatively cheap to make/buy c160 up to purple...you can go ahead and do this without fearing too much about Morrowind. Julianos for magic and Hundings rage for stamina are excellent "base sets" to invest in. I personally make all pieces in these for my characters, so that I can then mix and match with other sets regardless what pieces I get.

Drops: the world now has MANY drop sets. Each zone drops one magic, one stam and one tank set. Jewelry comes from dolmen chests, other pieces delve and world bosses. This can be a good way to get cheap gear...some of the sets are pretty good, and it doesn't take long to grind.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

Monster sets: these are very powerful. You get shoulders from the undaunted dailies (one guaranteed shoulder per chest) and the helms from the last boss on vet dungeon runs. Note that each weekend, a "golden vendor" visits your base in Cyrodiil and will carry 3-5 high quality items for AP or gold. She always has 2 monster set items...she can be the best way to get a helm if you don't run dungeons. Tip: monster sets are one of the only set types to offer a buff for the FIRST piece you wear...usually it starts on the second piece. So for tons with an odd number of slots, a single monster piece can make the most of it. For example, my sorc uses staves so he has 11 slots. He wears two five piece sets then has that last slot...he wears a molag Kena shoulder for some extra damage.
  • Tyval
    Tyval
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for adding more information.

I had been holding off on the 160 set as I wasn't sure which pieces to make (I'm assuming your second 5set is non crafted because of the jewlery.) I'll check out your list so I can find which sets to make.

I also wasn't sure if I would need to go away from Julianos because of the sustain changes.

This gives me more info to plan.

Thanks!