The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The stealth mechanics (for stealth missions) in this game are terrible

Nemesis7884
Nemesis7884
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Why do i dropp out of stealth every time i interact with something or open a container/door ...??? This not only makes 0 sense but it makes stealth completly idiotic in buildings...this has gotten me SO MANY bounties that were completly unecessary and ridicoulos as i cannot control it at all...why have a stealth mechanic at all then??

The next thing that is idiotic is why do i get a bounty on my head when someone sees me and i kill him? It would be MUCH better if he startet running away and i only got a bounty when i didnt reach and kill him before he reaches the guards
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah so good when you are on a perfect heist and you get detected stealing from the chest. Thats just Zos for ya
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can open containers even pick locks in stealth.
    You break stealth on load doors but not sure if this is an visual bug.

Removing bounty on kill could work in the stealth quests in load zones but probably not in open world as it would be to many flags to keep track of. Perhaps give you 10-20 seconds to kill.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opening doors that load dropp me out of stealth every time

opening locked boxes does quite often the same, not always but often

this is simply something that should have been patched a long time ago - why is nothing done??? should really not be that hard
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, and the blue circle of detection around certain guards is stupid. It not only looks bad, but it makes the gameplay tacky.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealth in morrowind and skyrim was great. Then again everything elder scrolls related was "better" in other games. I don't think they used a single person from either design team on eso.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is everyone talking about? I main a master thief and I don't have this problem at all.

Well I'm a Khajiit, that helps a bit, Medium armor, and you have sneaking sets that are very easy to obtain from crafters.

If you do your stuff properly you won't get detected by standing on top of an NPC.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my sole gameplay and yes a lot of things do bring you out of stealth it's supposed to otherwise you'd be in your own instanced game sounds like you need experience and it will improve
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Invincible wrote: »
    Stealth in morrowind and skyrim was great. Then again everything elder scrolls related was "better" in other games. I don't think they used a single person from either design team on eso.

lol
    PS4 NA
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

pffff-ch
    I've always thought of TES as having lazy, lazy, lazy stealth gameplay. In the singleplayer games it's always highly cheese-able if you know what you're doing(doesn't take much 'knowing'), and nigh impossible to screwup if your character is skilled in it themselves.

I absolutely agree that stealth doesn't make sense, but unfortunately I don't think it's a design issue. Probably working around the crummy NPC AI the best they can.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    You can open containers even pick locks in stealth.
    You break stealth on load doors but not sure if this is an visual bug.
    That is how it is supposed to work but there is a bug in TG heists that will throw you out of stealth if you interact with a chest, and it will keep you out if stealth untill you stop interacting with it. The only way to get around it is to leave stealth and then re-enter it and press the chest before the "Hidden" shows up, and even then you will be thrown out once you finish lockpining open it.

It is not a visual bug since I have been spoted and have had lose my timed run due to this bug.

The only heist it doesn't happen on is the gem bags one.

Then there is also a bug in DB that randomly give you a huge bounty as soon as you spawn in the sacrament dungeun.
    Edited by theher0not on April 29, 2017 11:04AM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do i dropp out of stealth every time i interact with something or open a container/door ...??? This not only makes 0 sense
    It makes absolute sense when you make NOISES doing something .. not to mention doors opening and chest lids opening with apparently no-one there!

Just because you find it annoying doesn't make it nonsensical.

Edited by KerinKor on April 29, 2017 11:57AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Morrowind used invisible columns around characters. If you were inside them, you had to clear a (hidden) dice roll every few seconds to remain undetected. In front, behind, didn't matter, roll the dice.

In Skyrim, they have (hidden) detection arcs, which are affected by your sneak score (plus modifiers), and the light level where you're standing. They also have a hidden column that checks against your sneak score when you move. If alterted, enemies will attempt to locate your present location (there's no last seen system present, they will always "know" where you are when searching), and if you evade long enough to go into full stealth again, their AI will reset.

Both games are incredibly primitive when it comes to stealth mechanics. Skyrim is almost good enough to pass for a budget stealth game... sometimes.
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fave is the assassin missions where they tell you to use poison to kill, thanks for ensuring a large bounty by making me slowly harm the target to death while he tries to kill me. Real stealthy.
  • VileIntent
    VileIntent
    ✭✭✭✭

Morrowind used invisible columns around characters. If you were inside them, you had to clear a (hidden) dice roll every few seconds to remain undetected. In front, behind, didn't matter, roll the dice.

In Skyrim, they have (hidden) detection arcs, which are affected by your sneak score (plus modifiers), and the light level where you're standing. They also have a hidden column that checks against your sneak score when you move. If alterted, enemies will attempt to locate your present location (there's no last seen system present, they will always "know" where you are when searching), and if you evade long enough to go into full stealth again, their AI will reset.

Both games are incredibly primitive when it comes to stealth mechanics. Skyrim is almost good enough to pass for a budget stealth game... sometimes.

its a bit more than that, Skyrim also uses the total weight of your armor and whether your flagged as muffled in conjunction to skill values and related perks.
    Oblivion only used the shoes for gear weight, which was laughable. remove your shoes until you had the perk to wear shoes and you were good.
    ESO has a ton of overkill, from medium armor passives, CP passives, Legerdemain passives and dark brotherhood passives etc...

But I too believe the system overall needs to be re-done and improved. Maybe if they still add Spell crating to the game they can add Muffle and fix or use it to counter major flaws as a sort of band aid until they can fix the system.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Why do i dropp out of stealth every time i interact with something or open a container/door ...??? This not only makes 0 sense
    It makes absolute sense when you make NOISES doing something .. not to mention doors opening and chest lids opening with apparently no-one there!

Just because you find it annoying doesn't make it nonsensical.

no it doesn't...not even by real world standards and by game mechanic standards it's just ***

i give you can example - i enter a house with people in it in stealth - no one sees me, i sneak around steel etc. no one sees me...i leave the house again - it drops me out of stealth - i get a bounty - thats just an overseight from zos and annoying stupid bug.... same goes with opening certain containers

it's simply unbelievably infuriating if such nonsese destroys an otherwise perfect heist in the last 30 seconds
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fave is the assassin missions where they tell you to use poison to kill, thanks for ensuring a large bounty by making me slowly harm the target to death while he tries to kill me. Real stealthy.

i read somewhere that as long as you posion your weapon you can use blade of woe and it counts as poisoned?
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i read somewhere that as long as you posion your weapon you can use blade of woe and it counts as poisoned?

You are right, that counts. At least if you put poison on both weapons (not sure if it works if it is only on one. It should still work, but I havn't tested it so I can't be sure)
    Edited by theher0not on May 2, 2017 4:35AM
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was supposedly fixed in Homestead (2.7.5):

Combat & Gameplay
    General •Unlocking chests during a heist will no longer reveal you from stealth.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3765285/#Comment_3765285
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • MrBetadine
    MrBetadine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also there is no way to distract a guard, put out a torch, fight a guard(heist). All these are available in Thief the Dark Project, a 20 year old game....
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing to me that people still continuously try to compare SINGLE PLAYER GAMES to MMOs, which have to take into consideration interactions that simultaneously involve and impact millions of other players.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to be an honest thief. But since the game gives you a penalty for that, I now just Blade of Woe tf out of anyone I come across in a house.
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • Jollygoodusername
    Jollygoodusername
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that people still continuously try to compare SINGLE PLAYER GAMES to MMOs, which have to take into consideration interactions that simultaneously involve and impact millions of other players.

ESO isn't running on Atari here. I'm sure the Hero Engine can handle the scripts.