The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unable to decide, looking for opinions

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, I've played for a while now, and I know what I'm doing. However, I'm constantly torn by how I want to set up my character.

We all have 5 skill slots we can use at a time for each weapon. However, I'm unable to decide what Restoration Staff skill or skills to use, as I seem only to have one available slot.

1- Hardened Ward (about the best shield I've seen, as it protects me and my pets for about the most I've seen)
2- Sanguine Altar (does essentially the same thing as the top tier Restoration power, but to all targets in an area instead of just one)
3- RESTORATION SKILL (currently, I'm using Rapid Regeneration, it seems to be about the best, but I don't know about the other skills)
4- Summon Scamp
5- Summon Twilight

That one slot is all I have available for a restoration skill, but I'm not sure which to use. Grand Healing does heal in a large area, but regeneration does more healing, or so it seems, and is quicker. Likewise, Blessing of Protection is quick and area effect, but seems to do less healing. However, this might be mitigated by the defensive bonuses. I know little about the Healing Ward skill, but it's a single target power, and so seems to be of limited use.

I usually solo, but I want to be useful in groups, too. What are your opinions, what skill should I put there? Am I going about this all wrong?
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • weisskreuz
    With hardened ward and Power surge, i really don't see a reason for a restoration staff at all.
    So my suggestion would be to switch the resto staff to an inferno staff (asuming you have a Lightning staff on the main bar) and switch your resto skill with Power Surge!

Try it, with a bit of practice you should be fine ;)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weisskreuz wrote: »
    With hardened ward and Power surge, i really don't see a reason for a restoration staff at all.
    So my suggestion would be to switch the resto staff to an inferno staff (asuming you have a Lightning staff on the main bar) and switch your resto skill with Power Surge!

Try it, with a bit of practice you should be fine ;)

Agree 100%. If you are trying to be a dedicated healer, or for solo PVP, than a resto staff is a good idea, otherwise, run double destro. For PVE Surge and Ward are all you need. In PVP, I run healing ward on my resto bar (only resto skill), but thats because I use it for stacking three shields.

Even for difficult solo content like VMA, a resto staff will only slow you down.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't mind being slower. I often find a destruction staff build is too squishy to survive, so I keep the Restoration staff on standby.

Also, as a Summoner, I usually think of my pets as my damage output while I support them with heals and buffs.
    Of course, it doesn't always go that way.

Still, I did want an option for being a main healer (it's my usual style, I play tanks or healers in most games).
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can use combat prayer to heal your pets and give them 8% more damage. It's the morph of blessing of protection.
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to 'toughen up' your dual pet magsorc and still run dual destro staves is to switch the purple monkey scamp out for the clannfear. The clannfear is tougher, requires less healing and gives you another moderate heal (in addition to the twilight's). He also tanks well, protecting you and twilight pretty well. One reason I like dual destros on my petsorc is that elemental drain (that I like alot) is a destro skill but seems silly (24 sec duration) to put on the front bar. Works much better on the back bar with surge.

I run a lightning staff, clannfear and matriarch on both bars.

Front bar has lightning flood, elemental blockade and powered ward. Overload for ult.
    Back bar has surge, eledrain and a flex spot that I'm still not totally settled on (crystal blast at the moment). Suppression field for ult.

She just soloed the Coldharbour centurian wb the other day using clannfear as tank and matriarch as healer.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on April 30, 2017 8:02PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Push you max magika past 50k and drop twighlight for mage light on front bar. Your max magika will mean you do a ton of damage and huge shields. The reason people complain about sorcs
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... some good suggestions here.

I don't run the most efficient/min-maxed sorceress, but she's fun to play and can function in the Vet undaunted.

I have an Altmer Sorc (Hisa Ni Caemaire) who I've run for a while and usually solo. She wears Necropotence (well one is the Necklace), Maw of the Infernal helm/pauldrons (these are med/heavy for the Undaunted passive) (oh, and everyone I game regularly with has come to call the Daedroth"Dave"); Julianos breeches ('cause she prefers skirts and so I use Daedric style to make them), two willpower rings and a willpower destro/fire and a willpower resto. Both staves are glyphed to do damage and return magicka.

She runs both pets; Clanfear (named Ta) and Twilight Matriarch (named Roo).

Ulti: Charged Storm Atronach (both bars)

Single target bar (destro): Crushing Shock (for the interrupts), power surge, Elemental drain, Clanfear, Twilight Matriarch

Group bar (resto): Lightning flood, shattering prison, Empowered ward (the 10 sec one), Clanfear, Twilight Matriarch

No actual resto skills, although if I'm running as healer for a group I'll drop elemental drain from the destro bar; move ward there instead and then throw mutagen on the resto bar. Between that and pet heals we are good to go. Granted - this is a group of regular friends I play with - not sure if that would work so well on a PuG group.

If I start getting low on magicka, a few heavy attacks with the Resto bar will catch her up, but usually it's not needed
    Edited by newtinmpls on May 2, 2017 3:02AM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thought about it, and here is my current build for my "Maomer Storm Sorceress" (used a Dunmer template to make her for looks, but I don't use the fire passives).

She wears 5 pc Necropotence (including jewelry for 3), 4 Pc Julianos (includes a Julianos Resto and Frost/destro staff), 2 pc Shadowrend (I really like pet builds, you can tell, can't you?). This let me have the Ancient Elven med jack, and the Daedric "skirt"; as this makes her dress more like the Maomer you see around Kenarthi's Roost. I would Dearly love to get my hot little hands on the motif pages for Dro-m’Athra for gloves and staves to see how this would look. I also got the Mind Shriven horse for her (looks kinda stormy, but being a die-hard RPGer, I haven't justified her having it yet).

She uses the Volatile Familiar (scamp) named "Rain" (original daedric name means "that which inevitably destroys")

Twilight Matriarch named "Wind" (actual name Chinook, which means specifically the wind which heralds spring, but that's a pain for everyone to remember)

The helm/Shadowy Clanfear is named "Mist" and is rather difficult to see unless you know what you are looking for, and are looking for it.

Both the Destro and Resto staves are glyphed with Shock damage.

Ulti: On the destro bar: Elemental Rage (I use a frost staff because it's the coolest looking version of this)

Ulti: On the Resto Bar: Charged Storm Atronach

Destro bar: elemental drain, unstable wall of elements (explode gives a good visual cue when it's finished), crushing shock (for the interrupts), Volatile familiar, Twilight Matriarch

Resto bar: Crystal frag (flip and use when proc'ed), Daedric Prey (Or as I like to call it in game "sick 'em"), endless fury, Volatile familiar, Twilight Matriarch.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis