The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Non-Templar Healers

dreamer05
dreamer05
So I've owned the game forever, but never gotten too far. I hate soloing, and don't really enjoy questing. But now with easier dungeon queue and possible PvP leveling I've gotten into it.

I've done a lot of research, or as much as I can find, on non-templar healers. For the current game, non-templar healer build is best? I've got a High Elf NB healer going and it's pretty interesting, and I could see how the synergy with siphoning would work well. I'm still very low level, and would like to hear how non-templar healers fare in PvP and end-game content, and also suggestions on builds. Also, if you're absolutely convinced that templars are the only viable healers, please let me know why.
Thank you!
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of now, at least till Morrowind I believe Templar is the go to healer.

End game content, what level are you? At a very low level like you say I wouldn't worry about end game content because that will be a long long way off. Normal dungeons you could probably get away with it as long as you know your build and know what you are doing.

PVP, as long as you have a resto staff I think any class is pretty much viable. You can make any magicka class work.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    Pvp and dungeons will be my main focus for now. I'm not close to endgame. Are there possibly going to be big changes? Which non-templar class is the best healer?
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say nb has the best passives for healing and their damage has always been reduced to compensate for the extra healing which makes them crap dps but good healers.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what healers do: Heal (burst, HoT), help magicka fighters recover magicka, help stamina fighters recover stamina, debuff foes, dps as other duties permit.

The primary advantage my magplar healer has is that she can help stamina fighters keep up their stamina. I don't know much about NB or DK healers but sorcs make great healers. They've got a fabulous burst heal, easy access to major sorcery (more spellpower = more healing).

The planned expansion for Morrowind should give non-templar healers the key piece they are missing now - stamina support via orbs.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each class has different things they bring to healing.

NBs bring damage and some damage reduction, DKs bring shields and buffs, Sorcs bring CCs and synergies and Templars bring resource management support and a class-based burst heal.

So it's really a matter of personal style.

I love healing with my Nightblade, it's a lot of fun to just sap things to death to heal my team.

But some people are very close-minded and think only Templars can heal (or only DKs can tank).
    The Moot Councillor
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Next patch non-Templar healers will have a way to give stamina and magicka back with Energy Orbs (from Undaunted skill line).

I imagine DK, Sorc and NB will always be less optimal healers than Templar, but the gap is smaller next patch. And I don't know about trials, but for veteran dungeons they are already quite viable.
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    You guys have some great input. Yea from my research I've noticed that people can be really snotty about non-templar healers. I had also read I thought that sorc healers weren't as good as NB and DK, can anyone elaborate on sorc healers? I couldn't find a ton of current information on them.
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    Looking at the shield in the dragon knight line seem interesting. I could see myself running into issues as NB trying to DPS to heal. Always been more of a reactive healer.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dreamer05 wrote: »
    Pvp and dungeons will be my main focus for now. I'm not close to endgame. Are there possibly going to be big changes? Which non-templar class is the best healer?

The best non Templar clsss for healing would likely be the warden since they and Templars have the most skills to choose from to get the job done including buffs and debuffs available.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The best non Templar clsss for healing would likely be the warden since they and Templars have the most skills to choose from to get the job done including buffs and debuffs available.

False.
  • bareheiny
    bareheiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running a DK healer, the main thing I miss out on is the burst heal.

As long as I keep shields and mutagen up it's all good though....the odd obsidian shard helps as well.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my biased mind sorrecer​ will always be the best healer <3

Healer cheat sheet

Dragon knights - damage migration, and damage buffs, ult resource management, crowd control

Nightblade - major viltiaty buff(30% more healing to Targets), damage reduction, debuffsike, and some damage

Templar- cleanse, heal over time (can move more while healing), damage reduction, cheap stamina gain for allies

Sorrecer- its tacitical support with skillls to make up for what the team lacks. There's crowd control, psuedo tank, and more. On another note, makes the best usage of elemental blockade as it has shock damage passives. Also it's just alot of fun
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @dreamer05 Let me summarize it for you...

Nb has solid dps tied to all of their class based healing. Funnel health weaving, refreshing path, sap essence combo very well into the key resto staff skills you will take. They have a powerful group damage mitigation ultimate with an added heal synergy and a burst SELFLESS aoe heal ultimate that gives the group major vitality increasing healing received by 30 percent.

Dk brings major brutality and major sorcery to the entire group. This is important to note because with the sustain changes incoming, many builds may not be able to rely on damage buff pots with max uptime or have the available slot on their bars for the buff anymore. They have the most reliable form of major mending in pve. They have a strong aoe damage shield ult for the group.

Warden provide minor endurance and minor intellect. They have a situational application of major mending, useful but not entirely reliable all the time. Much like the dk and it's group wide major damage buffs, warden have a group wide major resistance buffs major resolve and major ward. The have strong aoe mitigation ultimate which provides the same major protection buff as nightblades but instead of a strong damage component and heal synergy, the wardens sleet storm is mobile and covers a larger radius.

Sorcs have the strongest burst heal in the game via twilight matriarch with the added concession of taking to bars and requiring a bit of pet micro. If they opt for the less potent shield they can provide minor intellect to the group. Sorcs also have exclusive access to major berserk synergy with atro ultimate providing a strong dps increase to a group member. They have an aoe group heal ultimate with an offensive silence mechanic (not super useful in pve).

Templars have exclusive access to minor mending (the buff only exists elsewhere as a 5 peice bonus in a not so useful gear set). They have the most reliable form of stam and magicka restore via shards whereas the other healers must use orbs which are harder to use in application. Shards is quick and can be aimed at a specific space. They have the second strongest burst heal in the game breath of life with the added concession of requiring an aim. They provide the best application of magicka steal. They have nova, an ultimate that debuffs enemies within it by 30 percent outgoing damage. This effect stacks with the night blade and wardens major protection. Another healing ultimate remembrance is situation but still strong (better for PvP really).

All healers have combat prayer
    All healers have ele drain
    All healers have resource restore.
    All healers have cleanse.

Raw healing output is comparable across all 5 classes and group utility is also equally comparable across all 5 classes. Each of them heal in a fundamentally different way but come in line with one another with the rest staff abilities.

I hope this helps you out.
    Edited by exeeter702 on April 26, 2017 10:01PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    @dreamer05 Let me summarize it for you...

Nb has solid dps tied to all of their class based healing. Funnel health weaving, refreshing path, sap essence combo very well into the key resto staff skills you will take. They have a powerful group damage mitigation ultimate with an added heal synergy and a burst SELFLESS aoe heal ultimate that gives the group major vitality increasing healing received by 30 percent.

Dk brings major brutality and major sorcery to the entire group. This is important to note because with the sustain changes incoming, many builds may not be able to rely on damage buff pots with max uptime or have the available slot on their bars for the buff anymore. They have the most reliable form of major mending in pve. They have a strong aoe damage shield ult for the group.

Warden provide minor endurance and minor intellect. They have a situational application of major mending, useful but not entirely reliable all the time. Much like the dk and it's group wide major damage buffs, warden have a group wide major resistance buffs major resolve and major ward. The have strong aoe mitigation ultimate which provides the same major protection buff as nightblades but instead of a strong damage component and heal synergy, the wardens sleet storm is mobile and covers a larger radius.

Sorcs have the strongest burst heal in the game via twilight matriarch with the added concession of taking to bars and requiring a bit of pet micro. If they opt for the less potent shield they can provide minor intellect to the group. Sorcs also have exclusive access to major berserk synergy with atro ultimate providing a strong dps increase to a group member. They have an aoe group heal ultimate with an offensive silence mechanic (not super useful in pve).

Templars have exclusive access to minor mending (the buff only exists elsewhere as a 5 peice bonus in a not so useful gear set). They have the most reliable form of stam and magicka restore via shards whereas the other healers must use orbs which are harder to use in application. Shards is quick and can be aimed at a specific space. They have the second strongest burst heal in the game breath of life with the added concession of requiring an aim. They provide the best application of magicka steal. They have nova, an ultimate that debuffs enemies within it by 30 percent outgoing damage. This effect stacks with the night blade and wardens major protection. Another healing ultimate remembrance is situation but still strong (better for PvP really).

All healers have combat prayer
    All healers have ele drain
    All healers have resource restore.
    All healers have cleanse.

Raw healing output is comparable across all 5 classes and group utility is also equally comparable across all 5 classes. Each of them heal in a fundamentally different way but come in line with one another with the rest staff abilities.

I hope this helps you out.

* Correction all shards restore orbs

*Warning: Magicka steal aggros enemies nearby

* You need to pvp for cleanse on non Templar, but gain 10 %regain having it sloted.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1.No correction. Shards and orbs are parrallels. They apply the same effect with a different application. Shards and orbs both restore resources.

2.As does sap essence or any other aoe damage heal effects.

3.Not entirely relevant but I suppose it should be mentioned ?
  • dreamer05
    dreamer05
    This is great information guys!!! I had seen the comment about mage burst heal but didn't find it, so looks like it's the pet heal?

Does anyone have a good sorc healer build that's more recent? I'm still learning but sorc healer seems more along my niche.

As far as difficulty goes, which build would be the most difficult/least difficult? I had read in an older post that sorcs are the most difficult non-templar healers due to pet management.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can heal with any class except for veteran trials (as you are required to throw "spear shards" to feed stamina to the group - something non-Templar healers don't have, unless you are a raid leader and you have a Templar DD to throw Shard for you).

When Morrowind update drops, non-Templar healers will be somewhat viable in vet trials. So, you can stick to Nightblade healer if you feel like you enjoy the playstyle.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great information guys!!! I had seen the comment about mage burst heal but didn't find it, so looks like it's the pet heal?

Does anyone have a good sorc healer build that's more recent? I'm still learning but sorc healer seems more along my niche.

As far as difficulty goes, which build would be the most difficult/least difficult? I had read in an older post that sorcs are the most difficult non-templar healers due to pet management.

>:) Yes lured you over to dark...I mean found the light.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/dark-priestess-pug-proof/
    Edited by Tasear on April 26, 2017 10:47PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can heal with any class except for veteran trials (as you are required to throw "spear shards" to feed stamina to the group - something non-Templar healers don't have, unless you are a raid leader and you have a Templar DD to throw Shard for you).

When Morrowind update drops, non-Templar healers will be somewhat viable in vet trials. So, you can stick to Nightblade healer if you feel like you enjoy the playstyle.

o:) if you lead the raid anything is possible. Had this one trial with a sorrecer tank, nightblade healer, sorrecer healer. It was mysterious.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

>:) Yes lured you over to dark...I mean found the light.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/dark-priestess-pug-proof/

This is what I based my sorcerer healer on ;)! I run 5 necro, 5 SPC, 1 monster piece.
  • Fjorynn
    Fjorynn
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running a DK healer, I think it's fantastic, and will be even better next patch with the change to orbs. Here is the skill setup:
    eso-skills.com/skill/?z=FDPs662K@f0TNlP%DAMr_z@DQmu7z0&c=Fjorynn&b=DK_healer&j=t

Here are the sets:
    2 piece monster set: Sentinel of Rkugamz: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sentinel+of+Rkugamz+Set
    5 piece Spell Power Cure: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Spell+Power+Cure+Set
    3 piece Necropotence: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Necropotence+Set

Sentinel of Rkugamz is a bit of a controversial set, you may replace that and the 3 pieces of necro with a 5 piece worm/combat physician set.
    Worm's Raiment: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Worm's+Raiment+Set
    Combat Physician: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Combat+Physician+Set

The idea is to use Obsidian Shard as a burst heal (usually heals tanks for 25-30k ), use heavy attacks to get Major Mending, and spam Combat Prayer to proc SPC and provide Minor Berserk. Also, having Cauterize up all times can help a lot. Using any Earthen Heart ability will grant you ultimate, so you can regenerate your ultimate very quickly - activating an Ultimate Ability will give back a decent amount of resources.

Running a Maelstrom Precise Resto/Maelstrom Sharpened Lighting staff combo.
    I like janky builds.
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot say anything about pvp. I am a pvp scrub.

On the other hand for pve, I am very familiar.

In a dungeon, any class will work. Pretty much all you need is healing springs and combat prayer. Yes, you won't have stamina gains (people way overreact the necessity for this in simple dungeons), but your heals are more than enough to keep people alive and combat prayer is a very good buff everyone has access to.

It gets tricky if you start doing vet trials. While it is certainly possible to clear with a non-templar healer, you are missing out on stamina shards for the tank, and most importantly major mending buff. There is also very useful abilities like power of the light, but if you have a magplar in group he'll be using that as well. The passives for templar are what make them great. There is a useful cheap purge but there is also one available in the alliance support line.

Also, radiant aura was mentioned. Don't use it, its bugged. Use ele drain from destro staff.

Be careful with what people are saying in this thread. I've seen some advice that pertains to the live, current server and some that pertains to the next patch coming out june 6.

Also, I don't like the wording of orbs next patch people used. They won't give "stamina and magicka", they will give "stamina or magicka back."

Yes, next patch warden will likely be used along with templar in trials. I see no reason for dk, nb, or sorc to become any more relevant than they already are. Anyone who says templars are used in trials right now specifically because stamina resources don't know the ins and out of trial healing. Stamina shards are hardly needed in trials. In fact, my healing partner has never even slotted them before in a raid.
    Edited by IronCrystal on April 26, 2017 11:42PM
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyi if you are healing as a nb check out the redistributor set. It's a 3.5k heal every 3 seconds when you overheal yourself so it meshes nicely with funnel health and refreshing path. Probably isn't a competitive heal set but it works great in vet dungeons.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fjorynn wrote: »
    I'm running a DK healer, I think it's fantastic, and will be even better next patch with the change to orbs. Here is the skill setup:
    eso-skills.com/skill/?z=FDPs662K@f0TNlP%DAMr_z@DQmu7z0&c=Fjorynn&b=DK_healer&j=t

Here are the sets:
    2 piece monster set: Sentinel of Rkugamz: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sentinel+of+Rkugamz+Set
    5 piece Spell Power Cure: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Spell+Power+Cure+Set
    3 piece Necropotence: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Necropotence+Set

Sentinel of Rkugamz is a bit of a controversial set, you may replace that and the 3 pieces of necro with a 5 piece worm/combat physician set.
    Worm's Raiment: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Worm's+Raiment+Set
    Combat Physician: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Combat+Physician+Set

The idea is to use Obsidian Shard as a burst heal (usually heals tanks for 25-30k ), use heavy attacks to get Major Mending, and spam Combat Prayer to proc SPC and provide Minor Berserk. Also, having Cauterize up all times can help a lot. Using any Earthen Heart ability will grant you ultimate, so you can regenerate your ultimate very quickly - activating an Ultimate Ability will give back a decent amount of resources.

I saw something in pts notes, saying they fixed one of your healing skills.
    Edited by Tasear on April 26, 2017 11:58PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a dungeon, any class will work. Pretty much all you need is healing springs and combat prayer. Yes, you won't have stamina gains (people way overreact the necessity for this in simple dungeons), but your heals are more than enough to keep people alive and combat prayer is a very good buff everyone has access to.

It gets tricky if you start doing vet trials. While it is certainly possible to clear with a non-templar healer, you are missing out on stamina shards for the tank, and most importantly major mending buff. There is also very useful abilities like power of the light, but if you have a magplar in group he'll be using that as well. The passives for templar are what make them great. There is a useful cheap purge but there is also one available in the alliance support line.

Also, radiant aura was mentioned. Don't use it, its bugged. Use ele drain from destro staff.

Be careful with what people are saying in this thread. I've seen some advice that pertains to the live, current server and some that pertains to the next patch coming out june 6.

Also, I don't like the wording of orbs next patch people used. They won't give "stamina and magicka", they will give "stamina or magicka back."

Yes, next patch warden will likely be used along with templar in trials. I see no reason for dk, nb, or sorc to become any more relevant than they already are. Anyone who says templars are used in trials right now specifically because stamina resources don't know the ins and out of trial healing. Stamina shards are hardly needed in trials. In fact, my healing partner has never even slotted them before in a raid.

Why not speak of it? In a month Templar won't have major mending nor the exclusive stamina return skill. Not to in flame this good natured thread, but there is greater potential in a month for any class to heal in the two or three spots. It won't be a role exclusive to Templar nor warden. As such you are free to pick your destiny.
    Edited by Tasear on April 27, 2017 12:22AM
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Why not speak of it? In a month Templar won't have major mending nor the exclusive stamina return skill. Not to in flame this good natured thread, but there is greater potential in a month for any class to heal in the two or three spots. It won't be a role exclusive to Templar nor warden. As such you are free to pick your destiny.

I'm not saying don't talk about it, but for someone new it can be difficult to tell what is current and what is future. People aren't always specifying in this thread what they are referring to.

End game raids most likely won't see anything other than templars and wardens. People don't run other healing classes just for the sake of diversity. They run what is best. Templar and Wardens will still be best.

I mean, it won't be any different from currently. Can you heal with DK? Sure! I had a friend heal vMoL on a DK with me. Is it BiS? No way. Do we take DK healers seriously? No. Will that change next patch? No.

Nothing next patch is making non-templars any better than templars or wardens. They will still be sub-par.
    Edited by IronCrystal on April 27, 2017 12:34AM
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I respectfully suggest you do some more homework. Even on live, as someone who has experience healing vet trials with all 4 classes. Templar was brought exclusively because of stamina utility, as it is an objective fact that HPS is relatively equal across all 4 classes. And my hands on with the warden in the current beta has suggested nothing along the lines of them out doing any of the other healers.
  • bareheiny
    bareheiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fjorynn wrote: »

Here are the sets:

No use of Obsidian Shield?

I must admit that my gear choice is driven purely by aesethics....so Worm and Trinimac's Valour it is. Although Trinimac's could do with a little tweaking. Why, oh why, does the heal centre on where it procced, rather than on the player it procced on?
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You guys have some great input. Yea from my research I've noticed that people can be really snotty about non-templar healers. I had also read I thought that sorc healers weren't as good as NB and DK, can anyone elaborate on sorc healers? I couldn't find a ton of current information on them.

The problem I have with the notion of healing as a Sorc is the play style. The burst heal you get as a Sorc comes from the Nightwing pet which has to take up a slot on the front and back bar. This is a particularly costly choice considering I don't really like the way pets move about the field, or the fact they can die. Some people love it though. Beyond that I do think Sorcerers can wield the Restoration staff quite well, considering they get solid magic regeneration, superior cost reduction and some really nice passives boosting the magnitude of their abilities. If you use the Necropotence set is quite nice for Sorcs and I could see someone utilizing that to amp their Magicka up something like +7,000 if you've got pets.

As a healer it can be really nice to have a cleanse which is either Extended Ritual from the Templar skill line (that requires the receiver of the cleanse to synergize it) or Efficient Purge which is the only efficient way to purge your team mages without losing magicka at too fast a rate. I've never used the other version, 7,000+ magicka to use one ability seems like utter crap to me.

The other really nice skill you want to consider for a non Templar healer is the Orbs skill from the Undaunted skill line, which in the Morrowind patch coming out in a month will be a better version of the Shards everyone wants from their Templar in Trials.

Other skills you might consider outside Restoration line are Annulment from light armor and possibly evasion, just to boost your survivability. Bear in mind these types of things are situational.

I'm a strong proponent of 'do your own thing' as long as you try your best to do your own thing well. Some things in this game just don't work, for instance don't try to be a healer who put 64 attribute points into Stamina. Hybrid builds have been really sub-par.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>