Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question about mount cosmetics

SickleCider
SickleCider
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I understand the basic premise of the riding skill system. What I've seen so far is that when you reach 20 in any given skill, you earn a piece of tack--an armored face mask for stamina, straps for speed, and saddle bags for carry. I was just wondering whether there were continued tiers of tack upgrade. Everything I've found on the internet about it concerns ESO several patches ago. I saw a player riding around Auridon that had an absolutely MASSIVE bag on the back of their horse, and I swear I've seen saddle blankets. I wish I had taken screencaps of both of these things because they've been so rarely spotted in the wild. Am I hallucinating?
✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Stormrose
    Stormrose
    I do think they upgrade, I'm at 40% speed now and my mounts look a bit different than they did before. I know it also changes appearance based on the type of mount you're using as well, so that might have an affect on what you're seeing.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting! I'll have to see what happens. :)
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere (some time ago) that there's an "appearance upgrade" for mounts granted at every 20th point spent in the skill line.

If that's accurate, 1-19 in stamina/speed/capacity would appear as the basic mount with no visual upgrades.
    20-39 would have an altered appearance to armor/straps/bags, and 40+ would have yet a 3rd visual upgrade.

I'm now maxed out on all of mine so I can't confirm that there's a difference when you hit 40 in a riding skill line, but I'm very curious about it now. Seems strange these details are such a mystery.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere (some time ago) that there's an "appearance upgrade" for mounts granted at every 20th point spent in the skill line.

If that's accurate, 1-19 in stamina/speed/capacity would appear as the basic mount with no visual upgrades.
    20-39 would have an altered appearance to armor/straps/bags, and 40+ would have yet a 3rd visual upgrade.

I'm now maxed out on all of mine so I can't confirm that there's a difference when you hit 40 in a riding skill line, but I'm very curious about it now. Seems strange these details are such a mystery.

No its not accurate. You can easily check it on pts, just buy crown store lessons (you have free crowns on pts and everything in crown stores costs 1 crown).
    Of course, upgrade visuals look differently on different mounts, and some of them look more fancy. :)
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭

No its not accurate. You can easily check it on pts, just buy crown store lessons (you have free crowns on pts and everything in crown stores costs 1 crown).
    Of course, upgrade visuals look differently on different mounts, and some of them look more fancy. :)

Ahh, ok. That makes sense, @KoshkaMurka. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was genuinely curious. I'm a console player these days, so no PTS for me - despite receiving a beta invitation for Morrowind just last night. Grr!

I hope one day they will implement a way for us to customize our mounts' visual upgrades - even if it is simply using the dye station to modify the color of the saddles and armor. Of course I'd prefer they addressed everyone in the "end game" having ridiculous looking red weapons first, but you know, since I'm making wish lists... :)
  • Avius
    Avius
    ✭✭

Maybe I'm wrong but what I know (I have 60% speed) there is 1 upgrade for each stat and 1 additional "blanket" upgrade for 40 (or something different) in overall.

EDIT: 0/0/0 +20 speed will change look of your mount, 20/0/0 +20 speed still will change look of your mount, but 20/20/0 +20 speed won't change look of your mount

EDIT2: More information (wiki)
    Edited by Avius on April 25, 2017 10:15AM