Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I have given up hope on my character...Can someone give me some advice...

AL16
AL16
✭✭✭
Hello
I've been facing a lot of problems playing my level 39 Stam NB in DC.
In which I mean problems, I mean I have been dead countless times thanks to those mini-bosses and minor mobs in a quest area.
I've given up hope for my character already.

Story of my character:
When I wanted to start playing this game, I just felt that being a silent killer or like a ganker is really cool, so I've chosen something that a noob who is new to this game should not choose - a khajit stam nb.
I've been having this "solo-exploring/questing phobia" in my blood so when I started playing eso, I was too scared to leave the city and go do quests while facing all the mobs.
But after grinding and spam doing party dungeons/undaunted dungeons, I've reached level 30 with only stros and betnick(or wtv it's called) finished.
Afterwards, with the help of I friend, I acquired a set of medium armour, and that's when I thought I was ready.
I started doing quests in Glenumbra, everything at first went pretty well, but I've faced my first failure doing that "assassinate whoever thingee wtv rose lion wtv guy" in daggerfall. I got absolutely rekt.
With the help of a random stranger doing the quests also, I've successfully finished the quest, but that is when I started question myself...How tf can I die countless times while a random stranger at level 5 can finish it without any difficulty.
Afterwards...I haven't faced any difficulties since I still have that solo-questing phobia in my blood and whenever I see enemies, what I do is not attack them in surprise -- like what a stam nb should do, but instead slowly sneaking away towards my destination.
But it was when I've been doing quests in central west side of Glenumbra...I couldn't even defeat 3 werewolves and a fire mage at the same time.

Should I give up this character and start another one?
Or should I keep doing dungeons until I get very high cp?
Or should I keep playing this character regardless I have literally no hope towards this failing character.

Please help me....
Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hard to analyze this based on what you wrote. Basically you want to check your gear and make sure it stays somewhat close to your level (as you level up they become weaker up until the cap of 160 champion points). I found that weapons alone made a huge difference for my stamina characters.

Second could be potentially how you used your attribute points, as a stamina character you should have them all allocated to stamina for more damage.

Lastly you can reset everything on your character, there is no way of gimping it.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @AL16 Like the other person said, keep gear updated. You need healing as a stamina character so vigor from assault line in pvp is good. Or if you are using a 2h for rally/bloodcraze morph if using DW. Bow has drain shot morph for healing as well. Have some area of effect abilities like endless hail/steeltornado/power extraction so that you can hit all targets at once and be done with. Good luck.
    The Flyers
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    Stam NB is a little tough for a first character with no CP for a whole host of reasons. Most of the NB skills are magicka based so you end up mostly with Bow and duel wield using NB passives, sneaking and ambush, etc. You have no heal unless you get a 2H and get Rally or for PvP for vigor, so you need to rely on bloodthirst and bloodcraze from duel wielding.

So try this:
    • All points in stamina
    • All medium armor
    • Get 2 daggers your level (blue or better, sharpened)
    • Use poison ravage health
    • Have on your bar: Bloodthirst, Bloodcraze, Shadowy Disguise, Surprise Attack, Ambush
    • Sneak in, surprise attack, bloodcraze (dot + heal), surprise attack, shadowy disguise (then attack next target), use ambush to get 20% empower as well

You can basically cloak and stun, heal with bloodcraze. For bosses get an empowered bloodcraze on them (ambush/bloodcraze) then use bloodthirst, dodges and blocks to fight him. You can work out a rotation so when you dodge out of the way you can ambush back in, lay down your healing dot (bloodcraze) then hit him with a light attack then flurry x 2 then repeat.

Pretty soon you will realize how invincible you really are!

Until you get to higher level (cp+gear) you can't easily face tank a group of 7 in a public dungeon. Much later in your career you can use Vigor + Steel Tornado + Hidden Blade (for Brutality) + Fighter's guild expert Hunter (for + crit) + Flex like merciless resolve for 8% dmg) and flawless dawnbreaker as an ultimate. Everything will just fall down in front of you and die.

Edited by OldGamerESO on April 17, 2017 4:51PM
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I think going back to basics is best imo. Are you blocking attacks that will stun you? Are you standing in the red? Are you disrupting or bashing channeled attacks? Are you fast enough to regain your bearings after a stun? Is your gear up to par to your level?

I always say this about Stam nbs: don't play like you are a sorcerer. You wanna think Assassin? Play like one. Prioritise your targets. Kill off the healers or cloth users first while subduing the big guys like sword and board mobs or the two handers.

The thing about nbs, they aren't meant to go toe to toe unless you wear heavy armor and a sword and shield combo. Use reaper's mark to debuff the cloth user, ambush to initial stun then use fear to disrupt the rest of the group. A heavy attack or two or a spam ability like surprise attack or rapid strikes then finish off with killer's blade.

Take a moment or two to scan the group before engaging, use double take for evasion and expedition while using ambush and steel tornado. I Levelled my Stam nb without even touching PvP so it is possible.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam NB can be fun, but as said before, play like a sneak.
    One cool thing on my nb chars is to just have Shadow Cloak (or it's morph) handy and to use it defensively if you are under attack by several mobs. it's really cool if a fight gets hot to hit it and suddenly they're looking around confused while you back up and get ready to attack again.

Everyone says keep armor up to date - it's so important now in One Tamriel. I believe with the scaling that a lvl 7 with lvl 7 armor is more powerful than a level 20 with level 10 armor.

I love my Stam NB - they can be really fun to play. As you advance they can be really cool. There are some armor sets out there that will render you almost invisible, which is really fun.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried playing stam nightblade and got killed a lot, too, more than any other character I've played so far.
    I've seen people say to use the Fighter's Guild ultimate, and an Alliance War skill called "Vigor" for the heal.
    So ... basically use non-nightblade skills. :#

NBs are weird, because they're supposedly strong in PvP, but are terrible in PvE (at least until you have them optimized). I haven't played a NB in PvP, so I'm just going by what other people have said.

Edited by SydneyGrey on April 17, 2017 7:44PM
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    [quote="RavenSworn;3999859"Use reaper's mark to debuff the cloth user, ambush to initial stun then use fear to disrupt the rest of the group. [/quote]
    I have many of the same issues as the OP, and I have deliberately avoided the fear skill because I'm concerned that some mob running all over creation will bring friends back with him. Is that not the case?

PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody mentioned food. Are you running food? I play a khajiit stamblade vamp. It was really hard those last levels before CP kicked in and I could mitigate some of the vampire health issues. Food will make a big difference. The one I find most useful is a recipe from the Orsinium DLC, Orzorga's Tripe Trifle Pocket, but if you are good on stam and want more health boosts Orzorga's Blood Price Pie might work better for you.

I'm not gonna lie, some of the quests were really, really hard. I was stuck on one of the end quests for AD for three weeks because the final boss had to be solo'd and it was using fire. It got easier as I got CP and better equipment. Now I'm stuck on a boss in the Gold Coast, I haven't been this stuck in a long time. So it is very challenging to play this class but I also find it a lot of fun. Especially sneaking around violently mugging NPCs for money and stuff to fence. But I feel you on the being wrecked by bosses. That can be very off-putting especially if it keeps happening over and over.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good tips above. I'll try to stick to distinct suggestions. My main is a Khajiit stamblade.

- for solo pve play, I really like shrouded daggers. It bounces to three enemies, which can help you grind down mobs, especially mini bosses that might have a friend or two. It's an overlooked skill since it's not great in pvp or end game pve, but it's a good handicap skill for what you're doing.

- dying at level 40-49 is NOT JUST YOU. One Tamriel works by giving you handicaps so you can take c160 monsters (what everything is now). The system opens the map for you, but creates a weird power curve where you will be the weakest in that level 40-49 zone - your handicaps are gone, but you don't have champion point power yet. Continue leveling, take on easier content, and continue practicing and learning the mechanics.

- as others have said, keep gear within 5 levels of your player level. I mention it again because the One Tamriel mechanics will DESTROY you if you wear underlevel gear. The system yanks tons of stats off an armor piece for each level your player goes up. Being level 20 in level 18 gear makes you strong: being level 40 in level 30 gear would be as effective as running naked.

- now that you're in your 40's, you need ARMOR SETS. don't run with random garbage. You're a death machine if geared right. You should be wearing a 5/5/2 setup, or 5/4/3. If you don't know what that means, check out some build or armor guides at a site like ESO Academy.

- wear at least five medium armor, but up to two heavy if you feel squishy. Any heavy EXCEPT hands and belt (less benefit). If you wear some heavy, spend on the first three passives in heavy as able.

- have you spent all possible skill points on passives in class skill lines, weapon lines you use and medium armor? These are very powerful. If you've held off, go get sky shards and spend.

- should you switch classes? Honestly, this is a 50/50. You're hurting because you don't know the game well enough, so another class won't solve that. You will still need to learn armor sets, mechanics, buffs, etc. But there are easier classes. Magplars. Jab everything, live forever. Pros: you could move through content easier. Cons: you'll be a stronger player if you learn your stamblade then try another class.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    ... You're hurting because you don't know the game well enough, so another class won't solve that.
    LOL. Yes, it will. Literally ANY other class is less squishy than nightblade, particular stam NBs. As you said after you posted this sentence, any other class would be easier to play. There's a learning curve with every class, but the learning curve with NBs is the most challenging.

• RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »
    [quote="RavenSworn;3999859"Use reaper's mark to debuff the cloth user, ambush to initial stun then use fear to disrupt the rest of the group.
    I have many of the same issues as the OP, and I have deliberately avoided the fear skill because I'm concerned that some mob running all over creation will bring friends back with him. Is that not the case?

[/quote]

Which is why prioritising your targets are important.hit the ranged first since they usually will go range and hit you from afar after you fear. That fear ability will also debuff the enemy with minor maim, reducing their damage output as well as buffing you with resistance from the passives in shadow. Add Mirage or double take for that added dodge chance and/or speed (depending on the morph) and there is a significant amount of damage mitigation. Slotting that ability also buffs your health amount.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades do require abit of thought with their builds. This is so because honestly, many of their skills are complementary rather than a must have. It's situational, not like sorcerers. They do have staples skills but it's really just complementary to your weapon skills (magicka or stamina)

Of Wolf and Raven
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of your advice! I guess i have hope in my nb again :D
    Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
    Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    My own very first character is a Redguard Stamblade. I don't wreck like I see the other do and yes, I die sometimes. But I don't think it's quite as bad as you describe. I'm lvl 41 now and have been doing all the main quests up to Coldharbour second Tier (Stop the planemeld). I defeated manniMarco around lvl 20.

You really DO have to think and play LIKE a nightblade would. No Leroy Jenkins, creep around in stealth, use Snipe on the healer if its a group from as far away as possible. Usually you can kill them before their friends reach you. Then switch to Dual wield and block, dodge and strike. I use Soul Steal (I think) and Assassin's Blade for extra heals, and Veil of Blades as an ultimate. When you get overwhelmed by a group and have Veil of Blades ready, you live. It slows them down 70%, and hurts the whole group with DoT while you stand in your Circle of Doom and quickly Assassin's Blade them for the heals.

Also, never ever ever stand in red circles or cones. Also: Blocking a heavy attack stuns the attacker. Interrupting a move stuns the attacker. Dodging a rush stuns the rusher.
    Edited by ScytheNL on April 19, 2017 7:36AM
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I just hit lvl 41 recently thanks to generous portions of Jubilee cake over the past week or so.

My worst nightmare is getting into fights with boss mobs. Those always seem to boil down to me barely winning, and even then I usually die at least once.

It's gotten bad enough that, in spite of how stubborn I am about PVP, I have going into Cyrodil to earn Vigor. I'm about 20k AP from getting it. On the up side I discovered the Health/Stam Cyrodil food, which I happily scoop up to help me continue my questing.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything we do between now and June 6th is a waste of time, after June 6th we either play a Warden or settle for subpar anything else.
  • ATEK302
    ATEK302
    Pallio wrote: »
    Anything we do between now and June 6th is a waste of time, after June 6th we either play a Warden or settle for subpar anything else.

#magsorcmasterrace

To OP, no point in being scared to play a game. I spent countless time researching builds and rotations on YouTube and these forums.

Learn and do it
    Edited by ATEK302 on April 19, 2017 4:59PM