Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Writs worth it?

NBAballar18
NBAballar18
✭✭
Hey, I have been playing ESO since the beggining when it came out. Im level 230 in champion points. I barley ever did the writs...im debating if i should start doing them now. I have some questions tho about them:

How many writs can you do a day?
Do u get good rewards?
Can i do a writ from any area or do i have to start in my beginning area?
  • Majeure
    Majeure
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can do a writ for each type of craft, once a day, per character.

The higher your crafting skill, the better the tier of rewards. At max tier, you often get legendary upgrade materials.

At max craft level, you also begin to earn Master Writs, which provide you with Writ Vouchers upon completion, that you can then use at a specific NPC to purchase exclusive rewards, such as the Ebon style, or several housing related items.

Definitely worth doing, in my opinion.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Majeure wrote: »
    You can do a writ for each type of craft, once a day, per character.

The higher your crafting skill, the better the tier of rewards. At max tier, you often get legendary upgrade materials.

At max craft level, you also begin to earn Master Writs, which provide you with Writ Vouchers upon completion, that you can then use at a specific NPC to purchase exclusive rewards, such as the Ebon style, or several housing related items.

Definitely worth doing, in my opinion.

I would just add that to do the top tier writs you have to have fully spent the skill points in the first passive of the respective craft. You can pick up the writs at the board at any zone major city, but you will need to turn them in based on tier. Top level writs are turned in at Craglorn.

Also, while the Anniversary Event is almost over (tomorrow morning at 10am EDT), the writ quests count as dailies. They are a good quick source of anniversary boxes.
  • NBAballar18
    NBAballar18
    ✭✭
    Ok thank you, im going to start to do them today and try to do them everyday. Thank you for the help
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the writ calls for ancestor silk, you might hold off - I've found it sells for 80-100g atm, so roubly 3,200k worth of matts.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    If the writ calls for ancestor silk, you might hold off - I've found it sells for 80-100g atm, so roubly 3,200k worth of matts.

It is fairly easy to farm the silk. The price is probably high for people buying it to plow throw Writs on multiple characters for anniversary boxes.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writs can be profitable, but they're a little time consuming. They're the best source for gold mats to upgrade armor, and considering that guild store prices make upgrading to legendary cost $80-$100k PER PIECE, this is their primary benefit. Here's some tips, and what you can expect.

Rewards, All writs

Gold: every writ pays $350-$650 depending on their level. This is important because even if you have to but items in guild stores to complete them they can be profitable!

Surveys (except provision): special maps to "mega nodes" that provide a lot of mats. For trade skills these provide a TON of raw materials, which will provide a ton of gold mats through refining.

Rewards, Specific writs

Alchemy: 9-12 mats for alchemy, including water for the writ level.
    Provision: 10-40 ingredients, a green/blue/purple recipe for the writs level. Rare drop, purple ingredient mats.
    Enchanting: a soul gem and a glyph to decon for leveling. Rare drop, a Kuta.
    Smith/cloth/wood: a box of lower level mats, equipment to decon/sell, a trait stone, repair kits. Rare drops, a gold mat, a glass motif fragment, a psijic ambrosia recipe fragment.

Note on gold mats: the RNG generator seems to fluctuate. At best, you get a gold mat for 1 in 3 writs. Other times, the rate drops to 1 in 6.

How to more easily complete writs:

Keep the passives in each craft together so they drop in the same zone.

alchemy: any of your characters can craft and share the potions required. The only material that results in a deficit is nirn root. You will have to farm it, or buy it in guild stores. The "break even" point is about $500 per nirn. If you can find cheaper than that, alchemy will net you gold. Even cheaper - abandon the 1 in 3 writs that ask for nirn and skip those days.

provision: your characters can share these too...or use food items crafted by other people. Carry a stack of the 6 recipes for your writ level (currently 12 recipes for top level writs) and just pick up and turn in every day.

enchant: it's a rotation of health, stam and mag glyphs. I make 5 of each and then have what I need to quickly,pick up and complete for 2 weeks at a time. Note - enchanter npcs sell every potency rune. If you run out, just buy them. The money from the writ is way more than the cost of buying runes.

Trade skills: there's a rotation of three requests for each skill. They're designed to be a mat sink, so you may need to farm/buy the materials. The break even for me is $5000/200. Meaning if you can buy a stack of the wood or metal or cloth you need for under $5k, the income exceeds the cost. Some levels of mats are hard to get...some are cheap. I do writs on 5-10 characters depending on my desire any given week. My approach is to learn what's asked for, then depending on their bag space to make items in advance...either 3 days, 6 days or 9 days worth. For example, on my mule with lots of space I'll set him up for nine days in advance. So on cloth I will craft 3 each of silk robes, pant, shoulder, sash, hat, shoes and rubedo hand, shoulder and head. Same for wood and metal. Then every day he picks up all six writs and walks them over.

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely do your writs. At end game you get all of the following on one character...

4K gold per day
    Tons of XP
    About 1 gold temper per day. I've gotten as many as 4, but, of course you'll have days with 0.
    Sellable master writs often fetching 2k+ per voucher.
    Recipes

Even if you run dry for a solid week and lose money on the mat costs it is virtually impossible not to turn a massive profit in the long run.

Save yourself some time by premaking food and potions. If you do that the entire process can be done in under 3 minutes.