Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Replicate World Drop Gear (or extract)

Arwat_Wahad
Arwat_Wahad
Soul Shriven
Currently, and in particular at end-game, people use, mostly, world dropped gear. As someone had pointed out previously, this makes crafting obsolete. That being said, I do understand the importance of such a mechanic since it's the most common activity that players do when they reach end-game, farming for gear.

Not only crafting becomes of no importance but also all those motifs we've collected along the way do too. The enormous plethora of aesthetics with which with could imbue our characters is suddenly gone, as we are forced to use gear with pre-set styles. For some of us, it is important not only to be effective but also look good while doing it.
cEiUFjZJZ2e-5ZqhOhoBmaeMIS1My09IJkKTA03b8WA.jpg?w=320&s=09bbc788d6466c846aab00270a8ab07e

So my suggestion is to add an option to REPLICATE dropped gear.
This could be done by adding a replicate tab in the crafting window, which would allow a crafter to do a similar copy of any given gear the player has in the inventory or bank, granting the same set bonus, the same trait, the same level, but using the materials needed to do the same level gear, given that the player has the skills to craft the gear for that level, with that trait, but the player could CHOOSE THE STYLE used.

So that the grind for gear isn't affected, the original gear would be destroyed in the process (much like as it happens in researching). Not only that, but the resulting gear would also be of "common" quality, meaning that people would have to spend additional tempers to bring it back to its improvement level. And this shouldn't be an immediate process but take some time, like 24 to 48 hours.

To be able to replicate a gear it would be needed a new skill in the crafting trees, and people would have to use a couple of extra SP if they wanted to do it. It seems to me obvious that any SP spent would reduce the time it would take to replicate a gear or how many replications could be done simultaneously.

I believe take this mechanic would keep the current gear farming alive, while allowing players to choose how they look and giving a use to all the motifs they collected, while having some negative implications so that it isn’t simple but rather forcing the player to choose if he would spend all the materials and time just to change the way he looks.
I almost forgot. The case of Monster Sets. Being such a unique item, I don’t think this mechanic should apply. They should remain as is.

There is another way to do the same but considering how the game works I believe people at ZOS would be less inclined to choose this one. Instead of replicating there would be an EXTRACTING option. Instead of replicating, the player would extract any given set bonus and trait (both must be tied so that the farming would continue).
The extracted item should be level bound too, but a crafter could then use it to craft the piece of gear with any style he chooses, for that level.
Just to clarify the same Bind on Equip or Bind on Pick Up rules of the original gear would apply to replicated or extracted and then crafted gear so it doesn’t affect the economy or power level of the game.
This would have one of two implications. Or the player has a character that can craft to use this mechanic or there would be a way for the player to exchange bound equipment with a crafter that can make it but cannot use the gear.

I have no idea how itemization works, but I think it shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

ZOS please consider any of this options. Thank you.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So my suggestion is to add an option to REPLICATE dropped gear.
    Surprisingly you wrote exactly how I think relevant "transmog" system should look like!

I'll only want to add a suggestion about Monster Sets. It'll be really awesome if players can choose between one shoulder and two shoulders. No need to change the unique appearance of the Monster Sets, I totally agree with that, but at least allow us this small customization. How it can be organized? Well, for example, trough buying a special item from Undaunted Quartermaster, which will allows players to change appearance as Arwat_Wahad suggested.

Alternatively, a specially designed hats can be added to Crown Store. They should occupy head and shoulder slots. A possible look reference are bear hats from Orsinium DLC costumes. This solution is less wishful and, probably, much harder to implement.

EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Arwat_Wahad
    Arwat_Wahad
    Soul Shriven
    Your idea of changing the appearance not through crafting but rather by using a special item bought from the Undaunted Quartermaster sounds even better.

This way a player wouldn't need to have max crafting sklls to change the set piece just buy said item.

Thumbs up!
    Edited by Arwat_Wahad on April 17, 2017 2:52PM
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the appreciation, but this discussion and similar to it feels more like voices in the wilderness. Nevertheless, can we at least speculate or not? :D

I want to believe, that soon ZOS will add a special ingredient (much like the Animus Stone) to the Rolis Hlaalu's store, which will allow master crafters to make a "transmog" item using known motifs. For example, if crafter know all ebony style lists, then using this special ingredient and maybe some additional ones he will be able to craft a "transmog" item into the ebony style and then use it by himself or sell it to other players. More than that, if crafter don't need this special ingredient, then he can sell it too. Also this special ingredient will drop rarely from somewhere... or somebody... And now back to the reality, where my breton mage forced to fight wearing evening suit.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant