Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How Do I get Experience/Learn to Tank?

Tomg999
Tomg999
✭✭✭✭
OK, I made a DK tank.
I haven't grouped much at all, but I have CP 550 and have played a long time. I have a good setup pointwise all around and decent gear, but of course not anything from vet dungeons or trials or anything, cause I haven't grouped yet. I also haven't done much PVP so don't have those skills.
I learned the basics on tanking from online info. I have "practiced" in public dungeons & at dolmens so I can tank while others DPS. I can stand in front of any boss so far, never die, block forever, taunt & hold aggro, spam igneous shield, drop Magma Armor, don't stand in the red, turn the boss away from others, use talons & chains to keep mobs away from folks, etc.

Here's the question: How do I find folks to group dungeons with to learn how to really do it and to get better?
I don't want to just answer those calls for "Need Tank for Vet Crypt of Hearts" and just get yelled at and kicked. The guilds I am in are all trading guilds.I'm on NA PC, BTW.
What's the best way to get into group play for someone in my situation?
Edited by Tomg999 on April 13, 2017 3:40PM
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Just use group finder and start out with normal I dungeons. What little I know, my top five rules (not in order) are:

- Stay alive
    - Don't rely on the healer to keep you alive - let the healer focus on doing damage first, healing dps second, tank third
    - Keep the mobs and bosses all together and on you as much as possible so DPS can wreck them faster
    - Learn each dungeon/boss mechanic
    - Provide as much synergy and utility to the party as you can. Ebony set etc.. magma armor, warhorn etc..

Once you get tanking down, move up to normal DLC dungeons, then to normal II dungeons and then do vet in the same order as you started with normal.
    Edited by parkham on April 13, 2017 3:49PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    If you are on PC NA you can check out the guild called "Friendly Dungeon Runners". We exist just for this sort of thing.

More specifically, the gear and knowing your character is only part of it. The other part is learning the dungeons themselves. Most of the time you are literally "leading" the group through the dungeon. Then there are certain mechanics that you will need to mitigate as the tank so that your group can defeat the boss. There are some bosses that you need to kite so that melee DPS can kill it without standing in a pool of fire. There are duel bosses that you need to taunt one and debuf the other. There are some bosses with an OP attack you need to avoid rather than eat. There are some "tricks" to certain bosses, like pulling the Overfiend in ICP to behind the entrance door. You can also learn your line of site pulls, which can be much more efficient than everyone running into the middle of a huge room.

What I did was:
    • Read notes on dungeon online. Remember Versions I and II are different dungeons, and normal and Vet are also not always the same
    • Watch multiple videos on dungeon online
    • Run that dungeon 10 times in a row using the dungeon finder and picking that specific instance.
    • When you are "bored" with that dungeon you have probably mastered it, move to the next one and repeat

That's my technique, but I am a methodical type of person. You might take another approach and be entirely successful.
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC NA you can check out the guild called "Friendly Dungeon Runners". We exist just for this sort of thing.

I was just looking at that Guild. Thanks!
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out doing normal dungeons, and train on staying alive without heals and any one killing world bosses, my favorite world boss I learned to stay alive for over 10 mins is the guar boss in deshan. Without heals and any form of getting resources from others.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tank. There's no other way to learn it. How do you think current top tanks learned? Or the top tank of the past? Or any tanks?

You join dungeon groups, you use dungeon finder. You try to hold everything and stack everything for your DPS to kill things faster. You buff your group if you can (usually the gear does it for you lol), you use Warhorn as your ult (not magma armor - there's no place in 4 man dungeons where you should need it to survive).

I would recommend to find 3 friends or a guild so that you can run with the same people most of the time. I also recommend to stay away from "play as you want" inflexible crowd - they won't develop and they won't let you develop to your full potential. Find 3 more people who want to succeed in endgame and who want to be the best they can be in their roles. Or well - find play as you want people if you're into that kind of stuff :)
  • Tankerbells
    I'm on pc/na- feel free to pm and I'll be glad to help ya out learning. I'm currently a dk tank as well :)
    PC/NA, DC - CP861 - StamDK (PVP), MagDK (PVE), and Tank
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    Get igneous weapons too, morph of molten armaments in Earthen Heart. It boosts the teams physical/magic damage by 20%. Spam that and igneous shields and as long as you have your passives maxed in earthen heart you won't run out of stamina.

The biggest thing to remember about tanking is you are a support player. You aren't there to beat the boss yourself, so don't worry about damage and damage enchantments, use crushing enchantments (lowers target resistance) and defending weapons. You're there to aid the team. So choose your skills that buff the team as a whole and not just you. When you start tanking. Use abilities that help only you. As you get better change the morphs to one's that help the team.

Case in point. One hand one shield taunt has two morphs. One debuffs enemy physical armor and give you a shield. I chose this when I first tanked. Instead I should have done the morph that debuffs enemy physical and magic resistance, so mage DPS can do more damage too. You don't need a small shield as a tank, so help the team more there. War horn is the ultimate help you can give your team.

Like others said,, just play more. You'll pick things up. And other people can help critique ya if things go bad. Just have fun really.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    OK, I made a DK tank.
    I haven't grouped much at all, but I have CP 550 and have played a long time. I have a good setup pointwise all around and decent gear, but of course not anything from vet dungeons or trials or anything, cause I haven't grouped yet. I also haven't done much PVP so don't have those skills.
    I learned the basics on tanking from online info. I have "practiced" in public dungeons & at dolmens so I can tank while others DPS. I can stand in front of any boss so far, never die, block forever, taunt & hold aggro, spam igneous shield, drop Magma Armor, don't stand in the red, turn the boss away from others, use talons & chains to keep mobs away from folks, etc.

Here's the question: How do I find folks to group dungeons with to learn how to really do it and to get better?
    I don't want to just answer those calls for "Need Tank for Vet Crypt of Hearts" and just get yelled at and kicked. The guilds I am in are all trading guilds.I'm on NA PC, BTW.

I really think you should join our guild, if you are a friendly player.

Friendly Dungeon Runners ( PC/NA ) is a very active guild with 500 members. Many of the members do pledges everyday, normal and vet. And we do normal trials 3 or 4 days a week. A few members do DSA, and every now and then I see members looking for vMoL players.

Tonight we will be doing 3 trials ( starting around 8pm est ), you are more than welcome to join us. If you are interested you can contact me in game @vamp.emily.

Also, just to let you know we are not elitists, so you will not be kicked from a group. We do have some really good members but they are all friendly and give advice if you ask them for it.

Edited by vamp_emily on April 14, 2017 5:30PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    OK, I made a DK tank.

Friendly Dungeon Runners ( PC/NA ) is a very active guild with 500 members. Many of the members do pledges everyday, normal and vet. And we do normal trials 3 or 4 days a week. A few members do DSA, and every now and then I see members looking for vMoL players.

Tonight we will be doing 3 trials ( starting around 8pm est ), you are more than welcome to join us. If you are interested you can contact me in game @vamp.emily.

Also, just to let you know we are not elitists, so you will not be kicked from a group. We do have some really good members but they are all friendly and give advice if you ask them for it.

I would be interested in joining as well! My in game name is @Raelin . To the OP, you may add me as well - I will run with you!

• Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    OK, I made a DK tank.

Thanks so much! I am certainly a friendly player.
    I look forward to running dungeons with y'all, improving my skills and helping out wherever and however I can.
    I dig Tanking!
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just don't no need for Tanks in New update :)
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I started out doing normal dungeons, and train on staying alive without heals and any one killing world bosses, my favorite world boss I learned to stay alive for over 10 mins is the guar boss in deshan. Without heals and any form of getting resources from others.

That boss is an annoying sob.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • ImNuke
    ImNuke
    OK, I made a DK tank.

https://woeler.eu/
    Characters:
    MagSorc
    MagPlar
    DK Tank
    CP300
    IGN: Im.Nuke
  • jo_hanes
    jo_hanes
    For starters there is a misconception that every delve public dungeon or normal pledge requires a tank. That is incorrect, notice I said normal. Often the people in my guild will run normal content sans a tank but three dps and heals. not trials and veteran content is another matter since there is no aoe taunt I would recommend a front bar set up as such

invasion
    pierce armour
    igneous shield
    vigor or dragons blood
    reverberating bash

ultimate could be standard or dawn breaker

now of course these are suggestions the morphs of course are at the players discretion of course experiment with what works for you. whoeler on the e.u server has put out some rather informative tanking oriented content give him a look

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAVCXJDR4GjY1P-c2H30Tdg