Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning Stam DK can't kill anything, dies repeatedly

Despite
Despite
✭✭✭
Hello,
I played a magicka vamp DK back when veteren levels were a thing and I remember the game being pretty easy. I used to tank vet dungeons and do delves etc even as vamp without too much difficulty.
Returned not too long ago and decided to try out a stam 2h/Bow build and it completely suuuuuucks.
I can't even do a reg delve, Just about any scenario where there's more then 2-3 mobs I just die having barely killed only 1 or 2 of em.

I'm champion level 174. My gear is all blue/purple random quest rewards and drops all with + stam. My stats are all 64 into stam.
The DK class abilities seems next to useless since they mostly use magicka. I'm using rally and vigor to heal. I have all the DK and weapon passives yadda yadda.
I just seem fragile and hit like a wet noodle.
I don't accept that I'm not going to be able to play the game without 5 piece Hunding's rage set + 3 piece blah set + blah blah set. That's just garbage. I should be able to do basic content with whatever gear and abilities but my character just seems broken. A heavy swing from my purple CH160 2h sword barely touches a mob's health, yet I watch other players charge into a group of 5-6 reg mobs and kill them in 4 seconds flat.
But if I jump on my level 20 destro/resto NB everything is cake.
What gives? Any advice?
Imperial Vamp DK since 2014
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm now playing a magicka dragonknight. It's awesome. It does seem to be geared toward magicka, not stamina. It seems like all the best abilities are in magicka.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Despite - I would go and watch a few build videos on youtube,

Look at @Alcast and @deltia and even @sypher,

They all have good builds that you can modify to make your own.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Despite wrote: »
    Hello,
    I played a magicka vamp DK back when veteren levels were a thing and I remember the game being pretty easy. I used to tank vet dungeons and do delves etc even as vamp without too much difficulty.
    Returned not too long ago and decided to try out a stam 2h/Bow build and it completely suuuuuucks.
    I can't even do a reg delve, Just about any scenario where there's more then 2-3 mobs I just die having barely killed only 1 or 2 of em.

I'm champion level 174. My gear is all blue/purple random quest rewards and drops all with + stam. My stats are all 64 into stam.
    The DK class abilities seems next to useless since they mostly use magicka. I'm using rally and vigor to heal. I have all the DK and weapon passives yadda yadda.
    I just seem fragile and hit like a wet noodle.
    I don't accept that I'm not going to be able to play the game without 5 piece Hunding's rage set + 3 piece blah set + blah blah set. That's just garbage. I should be able to do basic content with whatever gear and abilities but my character just seems broken. A heavy swing from my purple CH160 2h sword barely touches a mob's health, yet I watch other players charge into a group of 5-6 reg mobs and kill them in 4 seconds flat.
    But if I jump on my level 20 destro/resto NB everything is cake.
    What gives? Any advice?

That first part I bolded is the problem. We now have battle scaling and if your not wearing set gear then you're going to have a rough time killing things quickly and since your heals are based on your damage you won't be healing for much either.

Now regarding the second bolded part, battle scaling is very generous to low level characters, especially with CPs.

My advice would be to find someone to craft you some gear, if you can't do it yourself.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, you need some sets. Doesn't have to be amazing, but general damage/recovery/stats boosting sets obviously helps.

Just farm/buy/craft some.

You can't do something yet seem against adapting to be able to. Not sure what you want to be honest.
    Edited by Brrrofski on April 13, 2017 2:49PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot has changed since VR removal (June 2016)
    - Class skill morphs were changed and DK has received two which now scale on stamina; resetting your morphs and picking those would help.
    - Racial passives were changed (August 2016); check to see if your race has stamina or magicka bonuses. If it has the latter you are better of doing a complete skill point and attribute reset and training magicka based skills instead
    - New sets were introduced and all content became battle levelled (October 2016); It's now pretty easy to farm better gear that is scaled to your level - wearing underleveled and mismatched gear also gimps you. Or you can have gear crafted at CP160 since now mats of that level are cheap and abundant.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the "get killed" part has only one effective solution, which is the same for all stamina classes - Vigor. It's now easier to get as it has been moved up the Assault skill line and unlocks at just 100K AP. AP is now also easier to earn in PvP. The Rally skill from the 2H line can also help you until you get Vigor.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to PvE the "kill stuff" part is much better with 2W. That also has 2 morphs that heal you. The skill ultimate also heals. 2H has very weak AoE and even single target damage but high initial burst. That's why it's only good in PvP

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Despite
    Despite
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the melodrama. I think I was really irritated as I typed that heh.

I should mention that I am wearing all 160 blue/purple gear though it's not a useful set.
    Started working on Hunding's Medium armor stuff though unfortunately I need to do a lot more Medium armor trait research. Previously I focused on Heavy and Light armor.
    I'm using Vigor and Rally, I feel like self healing is the only thing that I don't suck at. It's mostly that my dmg seems so low and it seems silly that all the class abilities are magicka based.
    I basically start out with the Bow bar which has my buffs like Igneous Shield and I dot up the mobs Poison Injection and shoot them from range, then swap to 2H where I use Wrecking Blow, weave in light/heavy attacks and Executioner at >30%.
    This all works OK against a single mob, but if there are several I feel really gimped. This is where the DK attacks would be great, but they're magicka. -___-
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps throw in a Brawler? Igneous weapons, Brawler, Venomous claw, Executioner at 50%. If you open with a volley stuff usually melts on its own. Did you distribute your champion points?
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the melodrama. I think I was really irritated as I typed that heh.

I should mention that I am wearing all 160 blue/purple gear though it's not a useful set.
    Started working on Hunding's Medium armor stuff though unfortunately I need to do a lot more Medium armor trait research. Previously I focused on Heavy and Light armor.
    I'm using Vigor and Rally, I feel like self healing is the only thing that I don't suck at. It's mostly that my dmg seems so low and it seems silly that all the class abilities are magicka based.
    I basically start out with the Bow bar which has my buffs like Igneous Shield and I dot up the mobs Poison Injection and shoot them from range, then swap to 2H where I use Wrecking Blow, weave in light/heavy attacks and Executioner at >30%.
    This all works OK against a single mob, but if there are several I feel really gimped. This is where the DK attacks would be great, but they're magicka. -___-

If your doing DPS Id drop 2H and go with sharp Duel Wield weapons. Then get better gear, Hundings or Night mothers gaze work good mixed with an overland set such as Spriggans or a dungeon set like Leviathan. With DW it sucks that you don't have a way to get Major Brutality or Major Savagery. I use Potions to get these effects.

I would google Alcast's Venom build that's what I used to start my build then I tweaked it to my playstyle a little. I'm not great but I don't have a hard time killing most things.

Also if you are on Xbox let me know and I can craft you some gear and enchants this weekend. Glyphs of physical harm help a lot.
    Edited by RABIDxWOLVERINE on April 13, 2017 7:18PM
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Despite
    Despite
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have Brawler morphed to Carve, which seems really weak.
    I do use Volley. Also, good tip on Venomous Claw, I didn't realize it was a Stam morph.
    Champion points I distributed based on some suggestions I read on a Deltia's guide.

I keep reading that Daggers are better, kinda makes me sad as I love my big 'ole 2H sword.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have Brawler morphed to Carve, which seems really weak.
    I do use Volley. Also, good tip on Venomous Claw, I didn't realize it was a Stam morph.
    Champion points I distributed based on some suggestions I read on a Deltia's guide.

I keep reading that Daggers are better, kinda makes me sad as I love my big 'ole 2H sword.

Brawler is the morph for cleave - gives you a little shield, 100% more per enemy so you want to hit 2-3 at least.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Despite
    Despite
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, you're right. I guess I went with Carve for the ultimate. Which I have set to Berserker Strike and Standard of Might.
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Despite 2h is generally considered a PvP weapon and dw is considered a pve weapons. Dw Wil give u access to steel tornado a strong aoe ability that has a execute built in. As a dk u can use igneous weapons for weapon damage and flames of oblivion for crit even tho they both cost magika there good skills to have. Also if u can get into a guild someone might be able to craft you the remaining pieces you need. If you pc na I wouldn't mind crafting you up some gear. @zagnut123 is my in game handle
  • D0ntevenL1ft
    D0ntevenL1ft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to tell ya bro that stam is laughable compared to magicka in all end game pve with regards to survivability and damage.

The only way my stam dk can compete end game (SINGLE TARGET) is maelstrom weapons. Stam has always under performed magicka in a pve aspect.

Especially using 2h as vet dungeon dps you'll be there all month wrecking blow spamming any vet dungeons monsters; have to get those maelstrom daggers and axes for bleed to empower your next dot. If not its still best dps to rapid strikes into dot into rapid strikes into dot dropping standard when available.

Even though my stam dk isn't at the top i can never seem to leave him as thats what I've mained since ps4 release :)