Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

'Restore the Hollow City'. How?

ScytheNL
ScytheNL
✭✭✭✭
I'm running ALL over Coldharbour rescuing the people that teleportd there with me, and enlisting various inhabitants. At this point the only part of the map I think I haven't seen yet is The Vault of Madness (beacause I've been playing solo). I think I rescued all of them, but the marker in the Hollow City remains black. I'm scared to move on with the main quest because it says I need to rescue everyone BEFORE I do so. I'm assuming after I start the assault on Molag Bal, there will be no more chance to get these people.

So how come it's still black? Are the people from the quests not the ones I am supposed to save? I did run into a group of Daedra hitting on a solitary fighter or mage in the wild, and I did 'rescue' those. Are THEY the ones I should be saving to restore the Hollow City?
Ingame:
Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually you need rescue only Vanus Galerion and that King... Rest is not needed
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeedrzej wrote: »
    Actually you need rescue only Vanus Galerion and that King... Rest is not needed

Yes, to progress the storyline. But I want to 'Restore the Hollow City'. I've read it unlocks once you rescue around 15 people?
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I remember (but I could be wrong!!), you'll fill the city with people through the 'The Army of Meridia' quest, and as soon as you talk to the Groundskeeper in front of the cathedral when you're ready to launch your attack, that should save the city. Or the city will be saved when you defeat molag bal.. either way.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »
    From what I remember (but I could be wrong!!), you'll fill the city with people through the 'The Army of Meridia' quest, and as soon as you talk to the Groundskeeper in front of the cathedral when you're ready to launch your attack, that should save the city. Or the city will be saved when you defeat molag bal.. either way.

Yes, that's the quest I'm on. The thing that bothers me is that:
    1: The icon for 'Restore the City' is still black, aka, unfinished.
    2: The Groundkeeper tells me that if I need to rescue more people, I need to do it BEFORE the assault.
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww dammit. Should have Googled it better....
    "Rescuing mages and fighters who are in battle with Daedra in the wilderness of Coldharbour also generates progress towards this objective. Once thirteen people[verification needed] have been recovered through side quests or rescued from the wilderness, the city will be considered "restored", and all of the shops and services will open"

Nevermind, sorry guys :disappointed:
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, even more info:
    "The shops and services all open up once the objective Restore the Hollow City is complete"

All the shops in my Hollow City ARE open, meaning I have met the required amount. Then WHY DAGNABBIT IS THE MARKER BLACK????
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a quick rundown. You just need to save two person of note, the ancient elf warrior King (fighters guild side) and vanus galerion (mages guild side). The rest of the people you save will just be filler or will help you out on the last quest but it's not needed. You hand in the quest, and the marker will mark as hollow city as restored. You then will start the push into molag bals citadel with both the master mage and master warrior assisting you.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ScytheNL wrote: »
    lnsane wrote: »

Yes, that's the quest I'm on. The thing that bothers me is that:
    1: The icon for 'Restore the City' is still black, aka, unfinished.
    2: The Groundkeeper tells me that if I need to rescue more people, I need to do it BEFORE the assault.

Yes the wording on this quest could be better. From what others mentioned as well, the 'need to rescue' is actually more of a 'would like to rescue' - meaning that you'll benefit from saving everyone because you'll have a larger force to battle Molag Bal, but not saving these people won't set you back all that much (if at all). Clicking through to the assault option in the Groundskeeper's dialogue will start your new quest and turn the Hollow City's icon white/filled. :)
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys (or gals), thanks :smile: I guess Molag Bal's ass is grass, and I'm the lawnmower then.
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Molag hunting!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think in order to "restore" the City you had to rescued the people AND have some of the lights of meridia?

Good Luck!
    Edited by Pheefs on April 11, 2017 5:52PM
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Malakor
    Malakor
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take my archer and start the fight with "Molag Bal, you have failed this city!"
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys (or gals), thanks :smile: I guess Molag Bal's ass is grass, and I'm the lawnmower then.
    Slow down there, cowboy. This isn't the quest you're looking for.

Coldharbour is broken into two parts: upper and lower. When you rescue the mage and king, they'll unlock the chasm, which opens up the upper part. Here, you will find more people to "help" to bolster the Hollow City's well being.

It also opens up the ability to unlock the Light of Meridia lorebook achievement, so you should definitely help others (also, if you want the Master Explorer, etc achievements).

When the quest is "ready", the Groundskeeper will make her appearance. DO NOT TALK TO HER until you are ready! Have your potions and armor repaired, because this next step is pretty waves of mobs you need to destroy since these "helpers" do nothing to really "help" (though you'll soon appreciate Darius' commentary during the fights).

When the Groundskeeper shows up, this is the "end" of the quest, though you will not get to fight Molag Bal. You're simply there to close the Plainmeld.

As soon as the Plainmeld is closed, you'll return to the Hollow City and finish up the quest. Once you leave the church, the Prophet appears and tells you it's time to end it.

You'll go back to the Harborage and then you become the lawnmower with special powers brought to you by the Lights of Meridia you collect (and boy, you're going to love what you'll have).

Your attack on Molag Bal will be solo, so again, make sure you're plenty stocked and armor is maxed because he can be quite the challenge for the first time you go against him.

Say hi to Cadwell for us when you defeat him. :smiley:
  • Tito86
    Tito86
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

Your attack on Molag Bal will be solo, so again, make sure you're plenty stocked and armor is maxed because he can be quite the challenge for the first time you go against him.

He is super easy actually
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The minimum quests to advance to chasm are
    - Talk to Groundskeeper.
    - Rescue Vanus from great shackle.
    - Library of dusk for one light of Meridia.
    - Wood elves vs. Lamias (never remember the name) to get access to second light at Ayleid king entrance.
    - Ayleid king rescue.
    - ONE city quest. I usually pick a lute from one delve and return it to inn.
    Edited by helediron on April 11, 2017 9:40PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    I think in order to "restore" the City you had to rescued the people AND have some of the lights of meridia?

Good Luck!

I have all five of them :smile:
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Slow down there, cowboy. This isn't the quest you're looking for.

Coldharbour is broken into two parts: upper and lower. When you rescue the mage and king, they'll unlock the chasm, which opens up the upper part. Here, you will find more people to "help" to bolster the Hollow City's well being.

It also opens up the ability to unlock the Light of Meridia lorebook achievement, so you should definitely help others (also, if you want the Master Explorer, etc achievements).

When the quest is "ready", the Groundskeeper will make her appearance. DO NOT TALK TO HER until you are ready! Have your potions and armor repaired, because this next step is pretty waves of mobs you need to destroy since these "helpers" do nothing to really "help" (though you'll soon appreciate Darius' commentary during the fights).

When the Groundskeeper shows up, this is the "end" of the quest, though you will not get to fight Molag Bal. You're simply there to close the Plainmeld.

As soon as the Plainmeld is closed, you'll return to the Hollow City and finish up the quest. Once you leave the church, the Prophet appears and tells you it's time to end it.

You'll go back to the Harborage and then you become the lawnmower with special powers brought to you by the Lights of Meridia you collect (and boy, you're going to love what you'll have).

Say hi to Cadwell for us when you defeat him. :smiley:

I see, that's pretty helpful :D thanks! I guess I'll store the lawnmower in the utility shed for now.
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tito86 wrote: »
    He is super easy actually
    Always easier to say after you defeated him. :wink:

My first character was a stamBlade I had no clue how to play. Molag Bal tore me up several times.

My sorc walked in, had him down to about 20% health, and I didn't get out of the way fast enough and he knocked me into a wall, which caused a glitch and I couldn't move or attack. He just pummeled me until I could use a soul gem. He wasn't lucky on the rematch.

My hybrid tore him up. He didn't even have a chance to finish his dialogue before calling his pets, and those were wiped so fast, I barely had time to blink. After the cutscene, it was all over.

My magBlade is wondering when she's going to Coldharbour because she has a record to beat. :D
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    The minimum quests to advance to chasm are
    - Talk to Groundskeeper.
    - Rescue Vanus from great shackle.
    - Library of dusk for one light of Meridia.
    - Wood elves vs. Lamias (never remember the name) to get access to second light at Ayleid king entrance.
    - Ayleid king rescue.
    - ONE city quest. I usually pick a lute from one delve and return it to inn.

What he said
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I restored the Hollow City literally just an hour ago. I ended up doing a quest where you go rescue a bunch of drunk Nords in the Everfull Flagon inn, on the south-east side of the map, and that did it. It probably didn't necessarily HAVE to be that quest. I probably could have found a different quest to reach the required number of rescues. Just sayin' if you're looking for more quests to do, that one works.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on April 14, 2017 5:22AM
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I restored the Hollow City literally just an hour ago. I ended up doing a quest where you go rescue a bunch of drunk Nords in the Everfull Flagon inn, on the south-east side of the map, and that did it. It probably didn't necessarily HAVE to be that quest. I probably could have found a different quest to reach the required number of rescues. Just sayin' if you're looking for more quests to do, that one works.

Did that one :)
    Ingame:

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL