Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Voice Chat & Gender

Tomg999
Tomg999
✭✭✭✭
Dumb question - I've never done voice chat (I'm on PC), but many of my characters are female & I'm male.
Should I only play my male chars in groups?
Will it be stupid if I'm playing a female character? What do people do?
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a ton of players have opposite sex characters. I'm sure some ppl will throw hate your way but just ignore them and play how you want. Most ppl wont care and definitely wouldn't say anything. A ton of the youtubers and podcasters have both gender characters. Even some of my friends in game do its really not a big deal.
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be yourself in voice chat . Talk normal . Play whatever character you want .
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one will mind nor care.

It's very common to have people play different gender characters from their own real life genders. As long as you haven't been pretending to be of the other gender previously on text chat then as said, no one will care.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice.
    I had made and leveled an old man character that would fit my voice..
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only come into problems when you pretend to be a different gender and then get, "involved" with someone whom doesn't know your true identity. There was a really funny thread about that. Oh boy was he surprised when he found out whom exactly he had been chatting with...

But other than that, no one really cares, they might follow your toon around a bit more closely though...
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Raventh
    Raventh
    Waffennacht please tell me you have a link to that thread
    PC-NA

LVL47 AD-Khajiit StamBlade Ra'venth

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of my characters are female nords, they remind me of my wife o:)

No one really cares what gender you are, the tiny minority who do can simply be ignored
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do you talk like an Orc when you are an Orc to not confuse people? TBH, I regularly finish grouping in dungeons without ever noticing the sex of the other 3 characters.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg I can't believe I found it!

And I bet @Alucardo wish I hadn't lmfao! (Totally forgot it was @Alucardo!)
    Lmao

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/231074/my-life-a-series-of-unfortunate-events/p1

@raventh there ya go :)
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 7, 2017 5:28PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • apostate9
    apostate9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    Dumb question - I've never done voice chat (I'm on PC), but many of my characters are female & I'm male.
    Will it be stupid if I'm playing a female character? What do people do?

Nope. Nobody bats an eyelid. Not in my guild, anyway.

• KingKush
    KingKush
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never understood why, but it is very common for male players to create female characters in MMO's.
    Xbox NA
    GT: Live Like Kure
    King Kush-MagSorc
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time I could see it being a problem is if you're role-playing. I imagine it'd be harder to stay in character if your voice doesn't match your character at all, but for that reason I think a lot of people don't role-play over voice chat. Because it's not just different sex characters - significantly older or younger characters or ones who typically have a different accent would be difficult too - can you imagine a khajiit with a British accent, or an Australian nord for example?

But most of the time I don't think anyone really cares. Most people obviously aren't their character - none of us are orcs or elves or argonians or khajiit and even the ones playing the humans almost certainly don't look like their character. So I can't see it being a problem.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do you boii!
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows on the Internet girl=guy in real life.

Silliness aside, play whatever is fun. Most of my characters are male but my favorite is a female.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it. We all know what MMORPG really stands for Many Men Online Role Playing Girls.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it OP. I've had people be surprised when I was playing a SAME gender character and spoke in voice chat. :D
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, because I do a really good Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation, I'll do that voice over chat. It seems to make people laugh :)

"Come on! We've got to get out of here! Argghhhh!"
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 9, 2017 4:12PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only come into problems when you pretend to be a different gender and then get, "involved" with someone whom doesn't know your true identity. There was a really funny thread about that. Oh boy was he surprised when he found out whom exactly he had been chatting with...

But other than that, no one really cares, they might follow your toon around a bit more closely though...
    Had an episode with an teen in a f2p mmo, he thought I was female and tried to check me up.
    I was in an small guild with him and gave him some tips who became an romance, he was shocked learning that lots of the ladies in the game had male players :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • lordhakai
    lordhakai
    ✭✭✭
    KingKush wrote: »
    Never understood why, but it is very common for male players to create female characters in MMO's.

My thought is if your a guy you dont want to be staring at a guys behind for hours while playing
  • Nordic_Pirate
    Nordic_Pirate
    ✭✭✭✭
    lordhakai wrote: »
    KingKush wrote: »

My thought is if your a guy you dont want to be staring at a guys behind for hours while playing

I've never understood this mentality in MMO's. 1) Does that mean you won't play a game with a male character if the game is in third person? 2) How insecure do you have to be in yourself to A) Question your sexuality based on a character played B) stare at any video game characters ass the entire time you play instead of focusing on...you know...the content.

Also, OP no one gives a F**k if you play a girl and you're a dude.
    Yes, I do heartily repent. I repent I had not done more mischief; and that we did not cut the throats of them that took us, and I am extremely sorry that you aren't hanged as well as we.

— Anonymous pirate, asked on the gallows if he repented.
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just play what you want...character gender is a non-issue imo
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    Of course not.
    Will it be stupid if I'm playing a female character?
    Nope.
    What do people do?
    Nothing, because it's more common than you think.

Those who still believe a person's in game character is reflective of their actual life are those under the age of 16. And three adults.

Times have changed. I can't stress enough how much I do not miss the idiotic "A/S/L" messages I got for playing female characters online.

Though, I have to admit I do miss the shock when people hear a guy's voice boom into the game.

Idiots.

• Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not stupid at all. a huge portion of the players that i play iwth are male irl but playing female characters.

if people do actually care, they arent the type of people you want to group with anyway