The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mag Sorc Sustain

rkuczy01
rkuczy01
So right now I am rocking 4 piece of Julianos (staffs and 3 armor pieces), Ilamsbirs monster set, and 4 pieces of BSW (need a ring to complete the set). Gear is all purple and my DPS out put isn't the greatest around 14-15k, still mastering my rotation. However, I do run into a slight issue of sustain and I am only CP 260, looking for any advice to not sacrifice DPS since clearly I still need work there. I know I can get some ground with blue food and better pots (just using the classic magicka fill) but looking for other advice.
Go Big or Go Home
Talk is Cheap
  • GoldenLight
    GoldenLight
    ✭✭✭
    I run with my staff enchanted with magic damage that restores magicka and use the heavy attacks in rotations with my other spell attacks. 1 per 2 to 3 spell attacks and it seems to keep my magicka up well.
    "Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone!"

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have overload as an ultimate you can use overload light / heavy attack to do good damage while restoring magic.
    Also using elemental drain on hard enemies, in dungeons this is suposed to be healers job.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    I run jewelry piece without the spell damage and stick with recovery.

When enemies are low health, use light/med/heavy attacks to kill them! Restores 3600 magicka! I never run out anymore.

Drink a potion at 1/2 magicka and have 3/3 medicinal use in alchemy for permanent 20% boost to regen :)
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • Wrekkedd
    Wrekkedd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait what...you're running a 4 pc on the 2 best 5 pc damage sets in the game??????????
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    Elemental drain and weave heavy attacks
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrekkedd wrote: »
    Wait what...you're running a 4 pc on the 2 best 5 pc damage sets in the game??????????

Seriously, if you don't want sustain issues...kill stuff with fewer skills. If you don't have 5 BSW switch one of them for a 5th Juli. Get better at maintaining dots and weaving.
    Edited by dpencil on March 29, 2017 7:42PM
  • rkuczy01
    rkuczy01
    dpencil wrote: »
    Wrekkedd wrote: »

Seriously, if you don't want sustain issues...kill stuff with fewer skills. If you don't have 5 BSW switch one of them for a 5th Juli. Get better at maintaining dots and weaving.

Yup- read my original post was working on getting the 5th BSW piece....Side note I am dropping Julianos for BSW since I run a fire/lighting destros. So I will have Ilambris monster set, BSW 5 piece, and using Willpower until I can get Moondancer.

However, thanks for the tips everyone.
    Go Big or Go Home
    Talk is Cheap
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are CP250, you need to use at least 1, if not 2, reduced cost on jewelry.

Also, bring along extra jewelry pieces that have spell damage on them in case you get in a trial group with tons of orbs. Then you won't have to worry about sustain.

Remember, you cannot have max sustain and max DPS at the same time. It's a tradeoff. Also, if you have sustain problems, your DPS **plummets**. It's much, much, much better to have decent sustain than have super high burst and zero sustain.
  • rkuczy01
    rkuczy01
    Since you are CP250, you need to use at least 1, if not 2, reduced cost on jewelry.

Also, bring along extra jewelry pieces that have spell damage on them in case you get in a trial group with tons of orbs. Then you won't have to worry about sustain.

Remember, you cannot have max sustain and max DPS at the same time. It's a tradeoff. Also, if you have sustain problems, your DPS **plummets**. It's much, much, much better to have decent sustain than have super high burst and zero sustain.

Thanks for the information. I might have to drop a little in for sustain.
    Go Big or Go Home
    Talk is Cheap
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea what you are doing mate, but run 5x julianos or 5x BSW with Ilambris monster set and 3x willpower or 3x moondancer. If you have sustain issues use ele drain and lightning staff heavy attack once per two rotations or put cost reduction glyph on jewellery.

Cost reduction is always better than magicka recovery as you cast 2-3 abilities in 2 seconds which is 400 cost reduction or 160 recovery...

If you play solo, you can always use overload morph that replenishesh mana and use it when you have full ult until you have enough ult points until destro ult or if you want just use it until full magicka.

Running solo - try to make best use of killing mobs with destro abilities or attacks to get 3600 magicka back or if you have execute on bars, use it to finish mobs.

With 260 cp put all green CP in cost reduction.

Good luck!
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    ^hey that's what I said :p

Srsly though using force pulse or a medium attack to kill an enemy is ridiculous for your regen
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another suggestion. As a Sorc, put Dark Conversion on your Overload bar. Whenever you run out of magicka, swap to your Overload bar, and spam Dark Conversion until you get as much magicka back as you want. I do this all the time. It takes like 3-4 seconds to restore 20k or more magicka. This is another option if you don't want to lightning staff heavy attack spam.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lighting staff, max out spell damage, max magic and crit, liquid lightning, wall of elements and hold down the left mouse button, no idea about pvp as I'm allergic.

If you feel funky chuck in the execute lighting bolt thing, I can't remember the name it's been so long since I changed it, the crystal frags that proc the free shots, keep up hardened ward, the major sorcery buff and lightning form and while you ain't going to do top end dps you ain't gonna die either, even without cp this thing will face roll it's way through dam near anything provided you keep up the ward. Plus it's all crafted except the jewelry, no grinding needed :D
    Edited by Integral1900 on March 29, 2017 10:27PM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harness magicka. Or wear 5x seducer.
    PC | EU
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rkuczy01 wrote: »
    So right now I am rocking 4 piece of Julianos (staffs and 3 armor pieces), Ilamsbirs monster set, and 4 pieces of BSW (need a ring to complete the set). Gear is all purple and my DPS out put isn't the greatest around 14-15k, still mastering my rotation. However, I do run into a slight issue of sustain and I am only CP 260, looking for any advice to not sacrifice DPS since clearly I still need work there. I know I can get some ground with blue food and better pots (just using the classic magicka fill) but looking for other advice.

Run a lightning staff heavy attack build. Never run out of resources ever (besides pvp and vma).
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the lightning staff heavy build in vma never saw my magicka go under 80% with necropotence! Did my fastest run too
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to try to answer your question, but for the love of god, please complete a 5 piece. Until you get your BSW, run Willpower Jewelry, and make some more julianos armor.

Now that that is out of the way, here are a few ways to sustain as a mSorc. First, you are going to generally need help on long fights. The 2 obvious things are a healer wearing the Worm set and also giving you magicka steal (radiant aura or ele drain). Orbs from the undaunted tree are also really handy. A good group (really a good healer) will provide you with all three.

Things you can do on your own? First, pick a good race. Altmer not only does more damage, but it also sustains better than most. Second, go vamp. Some people hate this (i cant stand how they look), but the sustain is difference is huge. Third, weave your attacks. Weaving not only increases DPS, but also helps with sustain.

Fourth, front bar a lightning staff in most fights. In trial fights, you will want to go double fire, which is fine because you will be getting the group buffs we talked about earlier. In pretty much every other PVE encounter in the game, a front bar lightning is better. Not only is the AOE DPS from a heavy lighting attack amazing, its free. Actually its better than free because it returns magic. Basically any trash pull, and frankly a fair amount of 4 man bosses, your rotation can be: Potion (or surge), Curse, LL, Blockade, Swap, Heavy Lighting attack x3, repeat. You will NEVER run out of magic doing that, and your AOE DPS will be better than most.

Other than that, keep your potions up at all times, and dont be afraid to throw in a heavy attack or two, even on single target. Better to do it before you run out. For example, once my magic hits about 50%, I am looking for things (orbs and heavys) do try and boost it a bit. One issue on sorc is that your execute phase is very resource intensive. A classic DPS killer is getting to burn phase when you are out of magic. Instead of seeing your DPS rise at the end of a fight, it falls off a cliff.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 30, 2017 9:58PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental Drain.

Run with a healer using elemental drain.

Run with a Templar healer, DPS, or tank that uses radiant aura.

Short of that,

Farm a recovery set Lich, Magica Furnace, Amberplasm, or desert rose all have different strengths and weeknesses. Run the recovery 5 piece on your back bar for your AoE's and DOTS

Chug magica potions on cooldown

Talk someone into running orbs

Find a Templar who will run the spear share that returns magica
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the statement "Im Rocking" always followed by a statement that infers a lack of theorycrafting knowledge? Lol
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oreyn said almost all.

No sustain sets or mundi on magsorc dps, please. That's the healer's job.
    If solo, Elemental Drain mandatory. Dark Conversion, if slot is available, is very strong.
    Harness instead of Hardened for certain fights. If you wanna run a shield.
    Cost reduction CP > mag regen CP.
    Synergies with first Undaunted passive.
  • Trihugger
    Trihugger
    ✭✭✭
    Running energy overload is another alternative. Overload on the back bar with LL/Blockade and you just overload regen while you have your DoTs running. Not as ideal as being able to Destro/Meteor ult, but it is far superior to going to reduced cost enchants on jewelry.

In effect you treat popping in and out of overload as your 'bar swap' until you've regen'd enough/potion is back off CD and go about normal business. Granted this isn't AS effective with 500 ultimate (grumble grumble) but I can easily pull 30k DPS putting up my own Ele Drain on fights that don't have mechanic based down time/highly mobile boss.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm lightning staff is ideal for heavies, so you should use them on mag sorc. That will also help sustain.
    So if you have troubles with sustain you re doing smth wrong. Maybe you do crystal spam (that's not good idea for PvE really), Another point comlete at least one 5 set if yoy have no BSW make 5 Juli until.

For sorc keeping lightning form/ele blockade/lightning splash while channeling lightning heavies makes good DSP and never runs you off the magicka. And if you also use familiar (but you need necropotence then) you'll rise you DPS more.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    also, 5 piece sets are nice...keep pots going at all times. mages guid passives