Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Nordic middle armor is cursed in ESO

Nord_Templar
Nord_Templar
✭✭✭
In ESO, on each side of the Nordic armor, is marked a "Odal" - ᛟ, but it's a inverted upside down ᛟ.
I will not explain here the meaning of this nordic rune, it is known to everyone in the European world.
So, it is known that the inverted rune is the opposite meaning. A fleece that blesses, if turned over, is a sign of a curse.
I do not know if the developers are fools or villains, but in any case it needs to be fixed.koc7c76bi4nl.png

7vie12v6r0eq.png
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭

One interpretation of the rune "Odal" (also known as "Othila") is the aquisition of property and benefits but that is only the superficial meaning of Odal/Othila.

The deeper meaning of the Rune is "Separation".

It warns that the 'inheritance' received may also derive from something that must be given up. In particular, the thing that must be abandoned could be part of ones background, culture or birthright.

As such, Othila calls on the individual to make difficult choices, to cast something dear to oneself aside so that the person can be free and realise their true self and potential.

When reversed, the above meanings of the upright rune, take on a differnt slant.

The reverse meaning calls upon the bearer not to be 'mechanical' or 'unaware' and not to be bound by old conditioning, old authority or dogma.

It is a rune of 'reaction' rather than a rune of 'action'. One must wait for the 'universe' to act first. Then one must act with total honesty and truth - possibly in a radical way - and go with the flow of what feels right.

In my opinion, the developers have been very insightful and clever in their choice od depiction of this rune. They are neither fools nor villains.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Nord_Templar
    Nord_Templar
    ✭✭✭
    Well ... You have consoled me. Because I was very worried.))
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well ... You have consoled me. Because I was very worried.))

We are here to help. I am so pleased you are consoled and your worries dispersed. There are far worse perils in Tamriel to worry about. o:)
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Nord_Templar
    Nord_Templar
    ✭✭✭
    Runes have a real Power. Especially here, on the land where they were created, where I live. This is not a joke. It affects everything.
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runes have a real Power. Especially here, on the land where they were created, where I live. This is not a joke. It affects everything.

I am not sure whether this comment is a dig at my previous remarks or not. If it is not, then I apologise in advance.

My roots are 'Nordic' too, albeit I live in the UK and I have spent many years studying and reading the Runes. They are a part of my heritage - one that I cherish.

In my opinion, Runes do not hold any power in themselves. Any power atributed to the Runes can be inbued through the creator or author of the script, as well as the reader, intended recipient and interpreter of the runes. The same Rune will have a different interpretation and significance for each receiver, which is dependent on their state of mind, situation and cirumstances.

One must remember that Runes are not a fortune telling device - they are an oracle that directs ones attention towards the hidden forces and motivations that will shape ones future life or turn of events. Selecting a Rune does not miraculously somehow absolve one of all responsibility for a particular outcome. There are choices to be made along the way that will.

It is not the Runes that affect everything but the choices the receiver made and the actions they took in consequence.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a bug report.
    This should be in general discussions or some other part of the forum where personal preference suggestions can be posted.

The developers are not nordic, as far as I know. This is just a "westernized theatrical approximation" of contemporary ideas of old norse culture and mythology. This has more in common with Thor from Marvel Comics than actual norse history.
    You may not like the rune on their as is, but they put it on theri likely because it just "looked cool".

They may change it, but don't hold your breath with all the other things they are doing that are more important.
  • Nord_Templar
    Nord_Templar
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's not a game, it's a reality.