The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[2017 Necro'd Post] Jester's Festival: Broken Stealth for "A Noble Guest"

Eiagra
Eiagra
✭✭✭✭✭
[Addendum in 2018] Psst, hey you! Reader! This post was from 2017! It probably doesn't have anything new or interesting happening, even if the problem still happens in future runs of the event. Make a new post! Original post below...

Right, so someone mind giving some kind of hint as to how you can steal these apples without being caught, since you immediately break stealth the instant you interact with it?

Or how to avoid accruing a bounty when the associated NPC simply appears out of thin air?

For that matter, how is it a guard is able to teleport me 30 feet away to demand I pay my bounty? And is it really in the spirit of good-natured ribbing if you don't have the gold and get a sword between your ribs instead? That's the bad-natured kind of ribbing.

Haven't been too impressed so far with this particular part of this holiday quest.
Edited by Eiagra on April 2, 2018 12:19AM
      In verity.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get the apples without being caught, get behind the Khajiit standing close to them. Crouch, then get as far from the apples that you can still steal them, but not be seen. This will prevent the others from seeing you.

People have said once you feed the pig, head to the left and go around following the river to meet back up. The chef won't see you. Just be sure to run quickly once the quest tells you to lead the pig out. That dang chef "bountied" me twice.

Guards attacked you with a bounty? This one is new, because I had a bounty when I turned in my quest and walked past several guards. None of them stopped me. Perhaps this was after the quest?

• Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give that a try, thanks.

I wasn't attacked, as I had the coin on hand, but since it's using standard bounty mechanics, if you happen to NOT have the coin to pay the bounty then you'll be attacked.

I've been confronted twice in as many attempts by guards, but I have also noticed a number of guards ignoring me. I have a feeling this was supposed to be temporarily disabled for some NPCs, but some of them slipped through the cracks. That, or there's just phenomenal lag.
    Edited by Eiagra on March 24, 2017 4:27PM
          In verity.
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the guards aren't actually guards, FYI. Check their healthbars.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the guards aren't actually guards, FYI. Check their healthbars.
    The three I walked by had the gold pointed bars, but they didn't stop me. I only figured this out because I was going to let them catch me and pay the bounty so I could finish the quest. It was only 27 gold and the only thing I would have lost was a stolen Flint.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Princess seems to stop if you go toward the river on the west side of Ebonheart. I'm trying to see basically where the chef trigger points are, since there's no actual hints, to figure out where to go. It seems like the celebrants SHOULD be giving hints as to direction, but... not entirely.
          In verity.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This aspect of the event has disappointed me, simply because I try to do all the events on my highest character (although I don't strictly regard him as a main, I simply allocate different roles to different characters). However, as he is a holy paladin type Templar once he had done the Daggerfall first quest and gone to Ebonheart he had to abandon the event because of the requirement for him to steal, which he will not do under any circumstances. Fortunately I have other characters who are not so fussy about what they get up to, one of which has now completed this particular quest after fleeing from the guards with the mud apples and again with the pig.

I'm all in favour of such events calling on all the aspects of the game including the stealing aspect, but it would be good if there was an alternative way of completing such a quest which will catch some role-players by surprise as it did me - and I'm not really an active role-player!
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »
    Hmm. Princess seems to stop if you go toward the river on the west side of Ebonheart. I'm trying to see basically where the chef trigger points are, since there's no actual hints, to figure out where to go. It seems like the celebrants SHOULD be giving hints as to direction, but... not entirely.

Hmm,is this chef person supposed to do something...I just got the piggy,and walked back to jester,done.. :D
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eiagra

Stay on the paths or sidewalks and run through the city, you can even do this on your horse. Once you go off road, the poor pigs feets get all scuffed up and he stops.

And, yes the path to the left is the way to go. The chef still comes out and yells at you, but it does not seem to stop the achivement. To the right, your getting caught.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auridon guards took my gold after the pig quest - highway robbery I say! Snobby altmers.

:p
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the chef the one that says, "where's my pig?" 'Who stole my pig?" - if so I avoided them by feeding the pig and started to sneak away before the game says "lead princess..." then when it did trigger, the pig caught up with outside of the NPC's view range.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got it. Yeah, it looks like once you feed Princess, the entire mission is pathfinding, not stealth.

As was mentioned, taking the left-hand (East) staircase is key to avoid the first brush with the chef. The second brush was harder for me to discern... but I found that once I was at the top of the stairs with the celebrants (some of whom were running up the stairs as if to encourage), I took a slight right.

There's some jutting rocks and a tent that I walked through. I heard the chef at this point, but this was an inquiry as to where the pig went and wondering if pigs could fly. I didn't incur a bounty, though, so I wasn't seen (and I was not in stealth).

At that point, I headed straight to some more celebrants I saw by the street, near another rock jutting out of the ground. Hugged the space between the stone fence to the left and building to the left, and the shack with the guild trader on the right... reached the gate, jumped to the stairs, and was able to make a straight shot along the road to "Jorunn".

As for the apples... I was able to get those only because someone happened to go on a murdering spree, and there were only two NPCs, both looking away. Probably not the most jovial method of acquiring that, but it works I guess...
          In verity.
  • Alarra
    Alarra
    ✭✭✭
    For the pig quest, get on a mount before feeding it - it can be done while mounted - and then immediately run in either direction (I went right and was fine) and make your way back through the city. Just stay on the paths and go fast.
    UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
    UESP forum/blog/Discord admin, wiki patroller, NA/PC Guild Advisor
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agobi wrote: »

Hmm,is this chef person supposed to do something...I just got the piggy,and walked back to jester,done.. :D

did you get the princess rescuer achievement?

so the 'privilege' of buying the jesters tree is tied to the successful completion of a semi-broken quest.

where have we seen that before, hm...?

Edited by Lylith on March 25, 2017 12:20PM
  • Avidspark
    Avidspark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take the left stairs, than at the top of the stairs, head left, hugging the town wall all the way to the south gate, no butcher =)
    'Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'
    T. Pratchett, 1948-2015 RIP, you are missed
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avidspark wrote: »
    Take the left stairs, than at the top of the stairs, head left, hugging the town wall all the way to the south gate, no butcher =)

That was my strategy on my 2nd try and got the achievement.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried this and the pig stopped following me. I find it easier to just walk with no stealth and when she pops up just go around her at a distance. The left stairs and then going by the tent worked for me.

The annoying part for me is that I have a stolen furnishing which I cannot place or launder. I put in a support ticket but don't want to have it confiscated before ZOS resolves it.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went postal on all the npcs, I killed them all, and say in zone now u can steal apples :D
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it stealthed boarding the argonian buildings on the left side.

Then on my alt I picked the princess, mount up and used rapids and horse sprint on the main road, the chef will spawn after you ran past her (you'll hear her saying "come piggy piggy"), so I got the achievement too
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I just went postal on all the npcs, I killed them all, and say in zone now u can steal apples :D

LOL. I heard someone yell in chat that even after killing everyone they still got caught tho there was no one there. How people deal with this event quest is hilarious.

I would like to get the tree but I remember I am in a game and it's only a game. If I don't end up with a cyber tree for my cyber yard I will survive it.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have many people gotten the royal jester achievement? Because this looks really hard to get. Also, many aspects appear glitched?
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gone to the right and avoided the chef. It's much easier to move slowly on the PS4, though. I haven't tried going to the right on PC yet.

The left is the way to go to ensure the achievement, though. First I made sure I had no stolen items on me I didn't want to lose. Then I stole the apples and walked right up to the first guard I saw. Bounty cleared, the rest is easy. My path to the left is up the stairs, hang right immediately through the crowd - too far right, and the butcher gets you there. Then cross the main path and approach the main gate on the left side of the path barrier. Through the gate, I wander right through all the Nords. If you look to your left, you can see the butcher behind the big building there. But after the Nord area, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump across the bridge.
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jemcrystal wrote: »
    Artemiisia wrote: »

LOL. I heard someone yell in chat that even after killing everyone they still got caught tho there was no one there. How people deal with this event quest is hilarious.

I would like to get the tree but I remember I am in a game and it's only a game. If I don't end up with a cyber tree for my cyber yard I will survive it.

I even murdered the guar, just in case its a hidden jester in a guar suit :D
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still keep the apple even if you're caught

I've been caught by the chef who does nothing.

Edited by BRogueNZ on March 26, 2017 12:40AM
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything you don't care to spend time learning is not broken.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vipstaakki wrote: »
    Everything you don't care to spend time learning is not broken.

true.

it took some study, but there is also a route on the right side if you pay attention to when and where the swineherd spawns.

pays to not post in anger, sometime. :)

once you learn where she shows up, go slow and keep to the left until you reach the top of (all) the stair, then go right, it's an easy go. just don't outrun the pig.

• NetflixNChiill
    Btw idk if this has been mentioned because I didn't wanna read every single post but to the OP the achievement has nothing to do with the apples it's just about bringing princess to "jorunn wo being caught by the butcher on your way back I just completed the achievement by feeding her and heading straight back to the city but going left instead of right and walking along the fence line and went right to over the bridge took me about 2 or 3 tries cuz princess would stop and if you go into deep water you fail and have to feed her again
  • QUEZ420
    QUEZ420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    This aspect of the event has disappointed me, simply because I try to do all the events on my highest character (although I don't strictly regard him as a main, I simply allocate different roles to different characters). However, as he is a holy paladin type Templar once he had done the Daggerfall first quest and gone to Ebonheart he had to abandon the event because of the requirement for him to steal, which he will not do under any circumstances. Fortunately I have other characters who are not so fussy about what they get up to, one of which has now completed this particular quest after fleeing from the guards with the mud apples and again with the pig.

I'm all in favour of such events calling on all the aspects of the game including the stealing aspect, but it would be good if there was an alternative way of completing such a quest which will catch some role-players by surprise as it did me - and I'm not really an active role-player!

This made me lauch much, ty for that kind sir lol...
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feed the pig (I sneak, dont know if you have to or not) and double back behind the nearest hut. The quest will complete the getting away bit and you can go whatever way you want back that avoids guards. Have only ever got left but that way is pretty easy :)
    PS4 EU
  • psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Easy solution: Go ahead, just take the apple, then find a guard and pay for it!
    Only because the game mechanics mark you as a thief doesn't make you one - your intention was to pay for the apple, and that counts! o:)
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup like psxfloh said. Just take apples, go to guard and pay the fine... it's like 150g and reward from the quest is about 350g so you still get about 100g gold reward. Go for the princess use the left stairs and top of stairs go left behind the houses and you should not see the butcher. I've done it walking the whole way and running with max speed horse the whole way and anything between without issues.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]