Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Best set bonus for a tank? Crafted armor not as good as dropped ones?

SirFilip
SirFilip
What is the best set bonus besides Armor Master for a tank? I was looking at the 9 trait set bonuses and none are really good for a tank, at least I don't think they are. The one that I like Armor Master has to be in Imperial City and I don't have the dlc.....

Is crafted armor really not as good as the one that can be dropped by mobs or found in chests?

Are drops really worthless unless they are the highest lvl?
Edited by SirFilip on March 23, 2017 2:44PM
  • Wonky_Jr
    Wonky_Jr
    ✭✭
    It all depends on what type of tank you want to be. I have a few different sets I use depending on what content I am doing.

In my opinion dropped pieces not CP160 are worthless.
    Edited by Wonky_Jr on March 23, 2017 2:50PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armor Master is not that good for tanking because you have to slot the armor skill on both bars to get the health bonus, and the resistance bonus is mostly wasted and disappears if you change the bar after casting it. It only lasts 10s anyway and is not that effective because you can reach the mitigation hard cap by simply wearing 5 heavy and having some class & racial resistance passives. Tava's Favor is much better because of the ultimate generation. You can use it with dropped sets like Alkosh or Ebon or one of the other dropped sets and a monster set: Bloodspawn, Malubeth or Lord Warden.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two main kinds of tanks, Blocking Tanks and Support Tanks. Support Tanks are needed in Trials and to an extent Vet Dungeons.

If your a Support Tank, you want Ultimate Regen so Tava's or Werewolf or similar would be good.

If your a Blocking Tank, you want Resistance and Health (up to a point) and Stamina/Block Cost Reduction.

Hist Bark 5 piece with the Sturdy Trait is a great basis for almost any Tank Build.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have seen some builds with Kragnac's hope and/or Specter's eye.. for a magicka tank or Def-healers

Alessia's Bulwark and Hist bark are both a good tanking sets.

It is quite easy to get super tanky your actually want your sets to give you utility for your team either more ultimate for more warhorns or reducing the boss damage or resource gain for your abilities.

The crafted sets are solidly tier two, there is the BIS drop sets Alkosh and Dragongaurd.. then the crafted sets and they aren't a huge amount worse.
    Edited by Narvuntien on March 23, 2017 4:27PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanks have lots of options and a few could depend on your class. Hist Bark is a great set, but fairly worthless on a NightBlade tank. Ebon is good for the group, but not so great for you as Tank. I like armor master, though it gets much hate on the forums. It's like super tanky set.

I like to mix a healing taken set and one that adds resistance in the 2~4 pieces.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run an old fashioned non trial stamina tank with 5pc Tavas Favor, 2 pc Blood Spawn Monster set and 3pc Endurance jewelry. Hard to kill in a dungeon and able to keep war horn up more than it is down due to the ultimate regen.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Armor Master on my healtank, but only because I can get pretty close to resistance caps in five light armor. For my dedicated tank I use Tava's/Bloodspawn and swap between Ebon/Footman/Alkosh situationally.

ETA: Also considering adding Sanctuary to the swap sets to provide extra healing for the group. It's light armor which would be fine for the healtank. For the dedicated tank I'd run 2x weapon/shield and 3 jewelry. The rings would be arcane but there's a unique necklace (Talisman of the Sisters) with a healthy trait.
    Edited by Number_51 on March 24, 2017 3:38PM
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

If your...

If your...

you're*

I want to echo the sentiments of others, Armor Master is fantastic for heal tanks. Tava's is nice for the ultimate generation as well.
    Edited by Sordidfairytale on March 24, 2017 5:16PM
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    here are the CRAFTED Set i would use when ranking up my Tank, until replace with Drop set the work much better.

But ry it out. always fun to use set we craft our self!

Whitestrake's Retribution
    Varen's Legacy
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Bloodspawn, Dragon and Tavas for my DK