Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

It's a pity furniture crafting was nerfed before it started.

cyberjanet
cyberjanet
✭✭✭✭✭
Many many years ago, we went to a new Chinese district in the neighbourhood. It was excellent, and they served a dish very rare in that place at that time: Peking Duck. Afterwards we chatted to the chef/owner and asked if he had plans to serve another rare dish hardly seen outside China: Beggar's Chicken. He shook his head sadly, and said "Can't get the cray."

So it is with housing in ESO. Can't get the cray. And thus a bed costs more than another room at an inn.

Today I got my master heartwood harvester, 6 or 7 weeks into the update. Sigh.
Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have yet to make anything, as I don't have enough Heartwood. I supposed I could make one or two things, but certainly not enough to furnish a house.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Wrecking_Gorilla
    Wrecking_Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    I have tons of mats and have crafted most everything in my house. I'm on ps4. Only been about a month.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Six or seven weeks to achieve a "master" title??????

OMG

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got master heartwood after two days. It just requires efficient farming.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Properly furnishing one's house(s) is going to take a LONG time.

Hopefully, ZoS will do some things along the way to help, such as improving lighting(!!!), making bankers/merchants more useful, or increasing houses' holding capacity for small items.

• ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that it's slow. I'm thankful for it from an economist standpoint.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

OMG

I know, right. 100 pieces of heartwood. On the bright side, I still have around 2k ruby ash, even after doing three woodwork writs a day since housing started and selling off several stacks. Also I've been buying sealed woodworker writs in preference to others.

Except for one random dungeon and one pledge, all of my playing time has been in gathering since housing started. Not what I call fun. I'm giving up on that now, maybe taking a break from the game though the Jester's Festival may intervene. All that time and nothing to show for it. It's like real life. :(
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're actively looking for materials it's not that bad, I mean actually going out and farming every night to furnish your house.

If you're just farming nodes as you go casually and enjoying the rest of the game then yes it takes a while. I will once again echo everyone's points that Homestread was not meant to be about making a perfectly fully furnished home within a day.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I harvested and crafted everything in my silent magnifico Inn I created . You just have to grind mats like mad . Farm farm farm and open as many inventory spaces as possible to hold it all .
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    STEVIL wrote: »

OMG

I know, right. 100 pieces of heartwood. On the bright side, I still have around 2k ruby ash, even after doing three woodwork writs a day since housing started and selling off several stacks. Also I've been buying sealed woodworker writs in preference to others.

Except for one random dungeon and one pledge, all of my playing time has been in gathering since housing started. Not what I call fun. I'm giving up on that now, maybe taking a break from the game though the Jester's Festival may intervene. All that time and nothing to show for it. It's like real life. :(

See, my approach has been way different than yours.

i haven't been "gathering" as you describe. i don't "farm" at all. i dont go spend playtime doing stuff i dont enjoy just to get mats.

i run around doing what i like including daily delves and daily pledges for the undaunted, daily pub-runs for the mages guild and so forth. Along the way i gather what i pass by, what i pass near enough that it highlights. The only real change has been that i make a little more effort to take more overland routes between A and B rather than roads so i have more opportunities, especially if near water and i have slowed down my interior runs so that I now do stop and harvest crates and barrel and backpacks and urns again - mostly for furnishing recipes.

As such, while i haven't hit any of that "not what i call fun" stuff you mention, i have only reached like maybe 45 heartwood harvested by my most outgoing character and no the title is nowhere in sight. on the otherhand, i have fully decked over the back half of my Sleek Creek House with crafted orcish platform blocks, same for my velothi Reverie and even added a walkway along the walls to my Ample Domicile and those are just the tip of the iceberg on my crafting furnishings to-date.

key is, all that fun play i have been doing earned gold which along with my daily writs has enabled me to acquire tons of heartwood or regulus or whatever i needed to craft what i wanted from those recipes i gathered and bought.

Somewhere i hit master harvester on one of the furnishing ingredients but just by dint of play not by grind/harvest or other so-called "not what i call fun" time spent.

heartwood remains my third best, third most harvested among the f-mats.

The title will eventually come of course, just like the 10k grandmaster harvester did.

In the meantime, i love the views from my new decks.

I think there are quite a few folks who will find that some of the the many different and varied ways to "harvest gold" from this game and a little patience will avoid the "not what i call fun" and still advance their crafting thru guild store purchases of mats they don't easily come by.

Edited by STEVIL on March 22, 2017 11:42AM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."