Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Friend needs a new character/build that's easy to solo with.

coldreactive_ESO
coldreactive_ESO
✭✭✭
He's been currently fiddling around with a Nightblade Stamina build with medium armor, but has been having trouble solo'ing most content that's meant to be solo. As an example, the prison well for the King Kurog Questline where the statue heads spew poison and you have to fight enemies... he basically died in seconds on that. He's getting a little upset that he has to call on me for help all the time. I was wondering what class/build people would recommend to him. He's currently level 50 with about 40 CP.

The templar healer build linked in my signature is not an option, he's not a big fan of healing, and I've noted it's not as survivable as I'd like.
Edited by coldreactive_ESO on March 20, 2017 8:29AM
NA PC Megaserver
Lucradia Valeri (D.Summoner) / Saeko Meina (T.Healer)
GMT -0600 (Central Time, Wisconsin) - PvE Only
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka builds generally have more surviveability because of shields I'd say. If he prefers to stay stam he should probably work on his rolldodging(which stam can do a lot of) and get Vigor for heals. Or go stamsorc for Surge heals and the mobility.

Magicka templar is insanely easy in solo content, you don't even need heals nor shields, you just need 1 skill - Sweeps. It's aoe, it's decent damage, it heals you. You can basically close your eyes and just spam that one key. Won't be the most efficient way but definitely will be a super easy one. If something goes wrong BoL is always there to help you out too, along with Channeled Focus for dem buffs and Annulment for extra damage mitigation if it's still not enough.

Pet sorcs do really easy too. Just send pets in to fight for you and keep shielding. I'd say templar is easier though, and Annulment is now just as good as Hardened, if not better.

Honestly I think you can have a very easy time with overworld on literally any build these days, it's just a matter of preference.
    Oh another thing - if he's dying "in seconds", maybe he should take a look at his health. People generally aim for ~18k or so.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's been currently fiddling around with a Nightblade Stamina build with medium armor, but has been having trouble solo'ing most content that's meant to be solo. As an example, the prison well for the King Kurog Questline where the statue heads spew poison and you have to fight enemies... he basically died in seconds on that. He's getting a little upset that he has to call on me for help all the time. I was wondering what class/build people would recommend to him. He's currently level 50 with about 40 CP.

The templar healer build linked in my signature is not an option, he's not a big fan of healing, and I've noted it's not as survivable as I'd like.

if he is running stamblade i recommend grabbing vigor from pvp. it makes a world of difference. now if he goes mageblade he will be able to survive more using the class heals seeing how they scale with magic. Personally i run med armor stamblade with vigor (really good HoT) and it has made playing my NB much easier. The issue is i had to get to rank 6 in alliance war and i HATE pvp.

Now if he wishes to make a new character my all around EASY mode is medium/heavy armor sorc with crit surge and hurricane. that lets you take on huge groups and live easly. spamming steel tornado keeps your hp toped up along with the 30% chance to insta kill targets with lightning dmg (be it skill or weapon enchant). And magsorc is also good due to shields.
    Edited by jircris11 on March 20, 2017 12:51PM
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is like bringing your best friend on the Titanic trip, be a good friend and don't let them waste $$ or time in ESO and just start the new game you will be moving to anyway.
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    There are alot of good threats about stam nightblades on the forums. It is actually pretty good for PVE when you master it.

Mag Sorc is good on the terms of surviability but the situation is the same if you dont master the build.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I started PVE with a dragonknight, then switched to a dumer magicka sorcerer. I couldn't believe how much easier it was solo wise. @coldreactive_ESO

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who says a Templar has to be a healer? I played my Templar as a DPS from day one. In fact, Resto Staff on her is still at 0.

A Magic Templar is an easy button for this game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game doesn't really explain a whole lot of things when it comes to game play, and this can be frustrating for new players.

NBs, imo, are one of the "hardest" characters to play with a first attempt. Only a third of their class spells can be converted to stamina, meaning it's going to take a little knowledge and understanding when playing a stamBlade.

For your friend, I'd recommend a magSorc for their first character. They're stronger in PvE, and their classes will give your friend some time to learn the differences between spell damage, spell penetration, and spell protection (wards, buffs).

If he can swing one faction area, by the time he completes it, he should know enough that he could start a NB and play around with the spells, while taking the time to learn how to use them.

StamBlades are notoriously weak when starting out, because all spells are magicka based. StamBlades will usually fill their stamina pool for dps, but this leaves little room for healing (magicka based) as the magickal pool will drain quickly.

StamBlades need to focus on dodge rolling (to avoid spell damage), and be quick about their feet, going in for damage when the have the chance.

PvE is going to be difficult for a while, because bosses have higher ratings and often throw down AoE, making fights last longer.

The benefits of stamBlades comes at the "end" game, when all passives and skills are unlocked and morphed. With the techniques learned though the first 50 levels, they can become deadly adversaries against enemies, regardless if it's PvP or PvE.

This game takes dedication to learn and practice. If your friend doesn't have the patience for stamBlade, then the magSorc is the way to go. He won't be bugging you as much, that's for sure. :wink:
  • VodkaVixen1979
    VodkaVixen1979
    ✭✭✭
    Stamblades are soooo squishy! He doesn't have to do healing on a templar. My main is a nord templar that does duel wield swords and destro staff. I just keep breath of life as an oh **** button. Puncturing sweeps is a great healing aoe that can keep you alive when the going gets tough. Now that I have 510 CP I can use my stamblade solo, but really now she is mostly a thief and node farmer.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'd be better switching to magblade so he doesn't have to start another. I'm levelling one up now and it has a lot of survivability.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So for magicka nightblade, what would you guys recommend? Considering none of you have actually linked any builds.

Both of us come from games that normally have stricter builds. Like FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, and various free to plays.

And just so you guys know, the DPS summon (rather than the clannfear) doesn't get aggro much anymore.
    Edited by coldreactive_ESO on March 21, 2017 12:19PM
    NA PC Megaserver
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty builds out there....For pet sorc use necropotence and burning spell weave, or necropotence willpower and a monster set....Surely that's half the fun of an RPG, getting to know skills and making a build.

The familiar doesn't hold aggro but the twilight will and i tanked the whole of the maw fight in bc2 on vet, on the spot with it, without it dying once just by making sure i kept ward on it all the time.

Magblade I've only got to level 36 so far and have only just started looking at other builds only to find them very similar to what i have anyway. You have morph choices of more damage or more heals etc so balance depending on how much survivability you want. The other night in city of ash 2 normal the big monster boss that breaks groups, i took the last 3rd of it's health while dodging adds and aoe and sapping my way to victory at lvl 33 while the rest of the group lay dead. Very good class imo.

It's not as strict here unless you are running vet trials, each skill has a purpose.
    Edited by greylox on March 21, 2017 1:42PM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with those who recommend Magicka Templar. It doesn't require much thought. Just spam sweeps. I find I die the most on nightblades. I haven't spent much time on Stamplar or Stam sorc.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on March 21, 2017 1:47PM
  • coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    We're not planning on PvP'ing.
    NA PC Megaserver
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for magicka nightblade, what would you guys recommend? Considering none of you have actually linked any builds.
    Why would I link a build? The entire purpose is to craft a build designed for the player. What works for one person may not work for another.

If your friend is more about trying to level up quickly than actually taking the time to invest in the character, let me know so I can stop wasting my time.

Otherwise, at an early level, a "build" is less important than learning the skills they unlock. It takes time to master each one, and then to bar them for the most effective damage/survival combos.

I use Impale, Lotus Fan, Concealed Weapon, Shadowy Disguise, and Swallow Soul for now, because I'm still waiting to unlock other skills.
    My armor is just the run-of-the-mill 5 light/2 medium (swap for the reward if it's better than what I'm wearing).

My staff has the Sharpened trait for the penetration buff. My crits are pretty good for my level. When I find the gear to improve penetration, I'll craft a set or wear it if I get it as a reward. For now, I'm questing, but I'm in no rush.

To survive means to remain agile at all times. Shadowy Disguise guarantees me a crit on next attack, and swap between Impale and Lotus Fan. Good numbers, those. :smiley:

Swallow Soul keeps my squishy tail alive, but it takes practice to use because it's not an "instant" heal. You have to keep attacking within those 10 seconds to gain health, which can be difficult when you're still being attacked. This is where Shadowy Disguise comes in, allowing me to crit for some major healing.

Every single attribute gets dumped into magicka, which increases dmg out and allows you to spam spells. I use my staff for heavies to replenish magicka. Rinse, repeat, dropped boss.

I've gotten better with using these skills I didn't even notice my food buffs ran out. :open_mouth:

Your friend can get there too, with a little practice and patience.

Hope this helps. :smiley:

• VodkaVixen1979
    VodkaVixen1979
    ✭✭✭

Seriously? Heaven forbid you do a google search and find one of the thousands already out there. If you came here looking for answers on a silver platter, ain't gonna happen. If your friend is getting one shot with 40 CP this might be a l2p issue that no build in the world will fix.
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    If your friend is getting one shot with 40 CP this might be a l2p issue that no build in the world will fix.

I completely disagree with this sentiment. Some players are capable of learning the fast visual recognition/reflex responses needed to play a more difficult character like a stamblade in a few hours, and gain mastery in a few dozen. Others, like the father of a friend of mine who is around 70 would routinely run through 50-60 soul gems/level soloing quests. He still can't really spot a red circle and move out of it while still using skills, it is one or the other. We have worked on putting together builds and roles for him that work for him, and it makes the game much more enjoyable for all of us.

Another person we play with, the grandson of said player, started on a stamblade, and enjoyed it but died a lot. After getting to about CP200, he started a Magplar alt and said it was night and day difference in ease of play. As others have said, you don't HAVE to be a healer on a Templar. A Sorc is another good choice, I've found either a pet or a non-pet build was easier than a Stamblade to survive on. A pet build is probably easier for someone who doesn't want to have to memorize what is in each of 10 skill locations. The Tamriel Foundry Unholy Herdsman build is probably a good one, and there are some good discussions here.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3860860#Comment_3860860

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? Heaven forbid you do a google search and find one of the thousands already out there.
    Heaven forbid you allow some intelligent discussion on ESO on a forum that's designed to ... you know ... discuss ESO. Maybe he wants some current thoughts and some varied responses in addition to whatever he's already found on the internet. Some of us just like discussing the game without being belittled and treated like crap by some holier-than-thou buttwaffle. Especially since this is the Players Helping Players forum. Why are you even in this section? Is it so you can belittle people who ask for help in the appropriate forum section?

Edited by SydneyGrey on March 23, 2017 2:27AM