Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Improving Master Writ redwards: Soul crafting.

Skahema
Skahema
Soul Shriven
I am recently returned to ESO. I went ESO+ because of all the love given to crafting, and have no complaints.

That being said I have an idea of how to take the awesome that has been added and go a step further. I am not certain if it's a good one, so I am sharing it with the community for feedback/poking holes. To get more people involved in crafting and increase interest in completing the new master writs, add something that is tangible return on spending their skill points and time crafting that non crafters cannot get.

On completion of a master writ there is a chance to drop a fragment of forbidden knowledge. Each crafting line has their own. The drop percentage should be somewhere between 1% base and 5% depending on their "crafting completeness" level same as for the master writ percentage. The drop percentage would also increase based on the number of vouchers returned by the writ up to 5% additional chance for a 300+ voucher writ. These fragments are bound to character, as are the created recipes, and the items they create. The recipes would appear in the patterns or housing crafting section for each of the crafts once known.

10 or so fragments of forbidden knowledge combine to form one of the soul crafting recipes for the craft line.

These items allow us crafters to more literally pour our souls into the item we create for ourselves to use.

Blacksmithing:

Soul Forged Seal
Ingredients: 8 Tempering alloy. 8 Filled Grand Soul Gems.
Allows 25% chance per item to upgrade from a legendary item that was crafted by the character to be upgraded to "Soul Forged" (one status rank above legendary)
Upgrading the item binds it to the character.

Woodworking:
Soul Grown Seal
Ingredients: 8 Rosin. 8 Filled Grand Soul Gems.
Allows 25% chance per item to upgrade from a legendary item that was crafted by the character to be upgraded to"Soul Grown" (one status rank above legendary)

Tailoring:
Soul Stitched Threads
Ingredients: 8 Dreugh Wax. 8 Filled Grand Soul Gems.
Allows 25% chance per item to upgrade from a legendary item that was crafted by the character to be upgraded to "Soul Stitched" (one status rank above legendary)

Alchemy:
White Vial.
Ingredients: 100 Filled Grand Soul gems 100 of every alchemy ingredient. 100 Lorkahns Tears
Creates a empty white vial. Used as a potion solvent that creates Filled White Vial potions with 10% effect boost. 10% cool down reduction, scales to any level.
Empty white vial is consumed on Potion creation but the Filled White Vial potions are NOT consumed on use.

Black Vial.
Ingredients: 100 Filled Grand Soul gems 100 of every alchemy ingredient. 100 Alkahest
Creates a empty black vial. Used as a potion solvent that creates Filled black vial Poisons. Created like standard poisons with 10% effect boost. 10% cool down reduction, scales to any level, Empty black vial is consumed on poison creation but the Filled black vial Poisons are NOT consumed on use.

Enchanting:
Azura's Star
Ingredients: 100 Filled Grand Soul Gems, 100 Kuta , 100 Rekuta, 100 Denata ,100 Jejota, 100 TA
Creates an be used as an aspect rune to create Soul Linked enchantments. 10 % buff over Kuta, The star and all created glyphs are bound to character and cannot be deconstructed. No inspiration on creation. Azuras star becomes "Drained" after each use and must be charged with a grand soul gem.

Provisioning:
Spork of Horripilation:
Ingredients: 100 Filled Grand Soul Gems, 100 Frost Miriam 100 Perfect Roe, 10 of each food and drink ingredient.
Grants 4 random food / drink buff effects at gold quality. 10 second cool down. 2-4 hours duration. Item is not consumed on use. Bound to character

Can grant any 4 effects from the following list:
Max Health, Health Regen, Max Magicka, Magicka Regen, Max Stamina, Stamina Regen, Fish Insight, 20% Experience boost, 10% Run speed and Cheese head. (Overwrites hat with giant wedge of cheese)
Counts as food/drink buff. Does not stack with food or ambrosia buffs.
Optional: Run speed and cheese head effects include a voice over from sheogorath:
"Oi if I ate that I would get the runs too. "
"Now where did my rat go. Don't move that cheese!" or something of the like.

Anyhow something like this I think would give a benefit to crafters, increase interest in crafting and provide an interesting goal for doing the master writs. Completing each one should probably add an achievement as well.
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love the idea, though for the provisioning one, you'd probably want it to be 100 or maybe even 1000 of each provisioning ingredient. Provisioning ingredients are much more plentiful than others
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the idea, but I think it would be very bad for balance. and also very demotivating for starting players..
    atleast it should not have effect in PVP I think.
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these are good ideas too ... albeit the 20% XP boost and additional potency to poisons might both be OP.
  • Skahema
    Skahema
    Soul Shriven
    lientier wrote: »
    I really like the idea, but I think it would be very bad for balance. and also very demotivating for starting players..
    atleast it should not have effect in PVP I think.

That is something I was worried about. Starting out it is difficult to get into crafting. I have one question on that. If doing a regular "daily" crafting writ, has a 10% chance to lower current research times by half for the writs school, would that help add a "catchup" mechanic" to those who haven't been crafting as long?

In terms of balance, though, I am curious. Which parts would be unbalancing? The desire is there to give crafters a boost in the items they themselves craft and a little power creep is unavoidable. But avoiding parts that are specifically unbalanced is critical. Any suggestions on changes to make it less unbalancing?
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unbalanced it would be in PVP - since we have scaling, this would tip the scale for richer (can buy all the ressources) end high end players (they already have gear bonus and more passives and so on). I think the alchemy ideas especially.
    I do think all the effects are okay, as long as not effective in cyrodiil.

I really love the provisioning idea, I would not use an xp buff, but more of the fun stuff.

Lowering the research time for a writ would be too much I think.
    PC-EU @lientier
  • DarthCarnate
    I love some of these ideas, and while I think they'll end up unrecognizable after balance tweaking (I wouldn't even begin to try to do that myself), I hope some of these ideas inspire future additions to the crafting system here. I like the idea of using soul gems in crafting, and I LOVE the idea of non-consumable items. I remember when SWTOR Biochemists could make health packs and stims that weren't consumed on use but required you to have Biochem to use them, so they were pointless to sell as anyone who needed them could make them. Saw it as a perk for crafting in the first place. SWTOR got rid of those later, but then, SWTOR hates it's crafters, so it's not surprising...