Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning player, DLC content?

TJStumpy
TJStumpy
Soul Shriven
Hello all,

I bought ESO at launch and played through one complete faction, up to what was then Veteran Rank 2. My guild left the game around that point so I stopped playing. I am considering playing ESO again, but have a question about available "vanilla" content, and DLCs.

If I remember correctly, I can still experience the other 2 factions playing vanilla. After that, is there a preferred "order" to DLC or anything else I should consider? I've got 4500 crowns to burn on content, Crown Store items or whatever. Any "must have" items??

I am not necessarily opposed to having the ESO Plus, but it sounds unnecessary until/if I play through currently available content.

Thanks a ton.
I may grow old, but I will never grow up.
  • Artanis
    Artanis
    ✭✭
    There is no general consensus on "preferred order" to buy things as each DLC provides different sets and dungeons. I would suggest you look into what sets are available in each DLC and see if there is any important item that you want to put on your main character.

For instance, if you wanna craft the Julianos you have to get Orsinium, or if you wanna go for Molag Kena monster helm set from WGT or Scathing Mage set from ICP you need to get Imperial City and so forth.
    Edited by Artanis on March 18, 2017 5:40PM
    PC NA Megaserver
    Cyrodiil Campaign Trueflame
    <DC> Ar'tanis - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a gentle rule, the stories in the DLCs occur in the chronological order they were released. However, they interrelate so little it doesn't matter what order you go in.

A month of ESO plus might be a good "try before you buy" strategy for you. You'd get a month access to all four DLCs. If you love them all, spend the 5500 crowns for the expansion set. Or, in some cases it's cheaper to just buy a physical gold edition disc, I've seen them on sale under $20. And before you do any DLCs, you could play Craglorn. It's solo pve content now (with a few group zones).

You'll probably want to get to champion 160 and get together a decent gear set. Setups are totally different from when you left. If you let us know your class and rank, current players can make some recommendations. I'll be happy to answer questions if you use @me in your reply so it pings me.