The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Where in Tamriel is your Heart's Content?

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
What’s your favorite region of Tamriel? What’s your least favorite?

By no means have I explored all the available areas at this point, so I may change my mind down the road, but for now, I have a real fondness for Kenarthi’s Roost, especially Mistral. I think Auridon would be my second favorite: quite beautiful and not too artificially “fantastic.”

Grahtwood ended up annoying me, beautiful as it is. I could never have a house there, it’s too “airy-fairy” for me, too much “Back To Nature” Granola Crapola. Meanwhile, the sandy regions of the Daggerfall Covenant have an arid appeal, while most of Glenumbra is too “ordinary” for me. I will say that those spooky areas of Glenumbra that are thick with werewolves and skeletons and graveyards and like that appeal immensely to my Inner Goth; dangerous as some of those areas are, I would love a house there: ideally, put something Imperial like Domus Phrasticus in there, and I would snap it up in a nanosecond!

The Guilds have their homes in some of Tamriel’s least interesting (to me) areas. Abah’s Landing in particular, although I think it’s a *brilliant* design, is NOT a place where I would want to live. It is a SLUM, pure and simple… I can only spend so much time there before I need a break and leave it for Tamriel’s cheerier locales.

It seems to me that the peoples of the Ebonheart Pact have it hardest of anyone. Stonefalls is a HORRIBLE place, all lava and rock and stark Nord architecture. Can’t wait to get out of it. Ditto Bleakrock Isle: I live in New England, and get more than enough of that Winter Crap to please me. Bal Foyen is really charming with its hills and mushrooms, but is simply too Uncivilized for my tastes. Unlike the Kajiitis, the Argonians have no real architecture of their own. (I LOVE Kajiiti architecture and interior design!)

So, in summary: My Favorite Places:
1. Mistral, Kenarthi’s Roost
2. Parts of Auridon
3. The Gothic-y, Universal Monster-y Movies areas of Glenumbra.

Least favorites:
1. Stonefalls. What a pit. Literally.
2. Bleakkrock Isle.
3. Abah’s Landing.

Someday down the road, it might be a fun thing to write a Travel Guide to Tamriel… unless someone’s already done it.

Anyway. Hats off to a well-realized Fantasy World, with all its Good and Bad places.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim zones, northern rivenspire, goenumbra and aurodon are my fav. Least fav is stonefalls, wayrest(too generic) and alikr desert.

Unmentioned zones I like em to an extent.
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Down in the Outlaw Refuge.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Alik'r Desert and southern Bangkorai the most. I also really like Stonefalls lol, I think the lava and volcanoes are so pretty. the purples/blacks/greens/reds/oranges/pinks look SO good

I hate Glenumbra all over. I think it's so ugly and dreary. Stormhaven is boring imo and Malabal Tor just doesn't do anything for me idk why
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Maelstrom Arena, cuz no matter what I just keep coming back to it
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ferelden

no wait, wrong game. Sorry, off topic but playing the dragon age games again has reminded me how much elder scrolls' world pales in comparison to other games

If i had to pick one though, Cyrodiil
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Heroeric1337
    Heroeric1337
    ✭✭✭
    Deshaan is my favorite area

Least favorite? hmmm, I enjoy everything just about so I dont really know.
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleackrock isle at night and The Rift are my favorites because of their atmospheres.

Grahtwood is probably my least favorite.. It's just so green, greener than Shadowfen.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have housing north grathwood enough said.
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Alik'r Desert and southern Bangkorai the most. I also really like Stonefalls lol, I think the lava and volcanoes are so pretty. the purples/blacks/greens/reds/oranges/pinks look SO good

I hate Glenumbra all over. I think it's so ugly and dreary. Stormhaven is boring imo and Malabal Tor just doesn't do anything for me idk why

Wow, I think I've found my exact opposite. Do also you hate peanut butter and banana sandwiches as much as I love them?
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love most all the zones. My favs are the Rift, Eastmarch and Grahtwood and Reaper's March

Least favorites are Malabal Tor and Auridon mainly for the ppl associated with the zones.

Overall Tamriel is beautiful no matter what zone you are in, if only we could wipe the scourge of AD off the map...
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Bleackrock, quiet, small and aurora borealis at night. Too bad if you run the quests it all goes to pot.
    2. Stonefalls, love the ash "snow" and lava flows
    3. Shadowfen, mostly because Stormhold being a city built into an Ayelid ruin, but the swamps and pyramids are fun too.

Honorable mention: The craggy hills and howling winds of Rivenspire are nice and creepy.
    Edited by Kodrac on March 17, 2017 5:03PM
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...... What??? How dare you speak so lowly of Morrowind, N'wah!

My favorite zones:

Stonefalls
    Why? First of all, it is Morrowind. Secondly, the rigid and ashy lavafalls are sinister and ominous. They give the zone a unique tone that no other zone has, which sets it apart. Stonefalls also, however, has enchanting fungal regions that I find charming. Furthermore, coastal areas like Vivec's Antlers heavily contrast the grass and ash that inhabits the zone.

Deshaan
    While not quite as diverse as Stonefalls, this zone gives me a more cozy feel, especially in towns such as Serkamora. It is much more subtle with its flora (as far as Morrowind goes), but sometimes less is more. Mournhold is certainly the dominating feature of the zone, and it is a hub for trade and pledges. There are also some rather unique crannies in this zone, such as Hlanii's Hovel.

Vvardenfell will trump both zones when it is released, however. Morrowind, in my opinion, is the best Elder Scrolls game, and I look forward to catching up with the various Telvanni towers that litter the east.

Least favorite:
    Shadowfen
    Why? Scaleback N'wahs. Scaleback N'wah sympathizers. Need I say more?
    Edited by MythicEmperor on March 17, 2017 5:06PM
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In trials when they function correctly
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentinel in Alik'r . Worlds largest litter box . Warm sands .

Least favorite Grahtwood because I get lost trying to find ways up hills .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on March 17, 2017 5:07PM
  • djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭
    1) Deshaan - my current favorite, it's really grown on me the last few months.
    2) Auridon - especially the more remote, less populated areas, like the beaches north of the Banished Cells.
    3) Greenshade - I like the open grassy hills and plains in this zone.
    4) Cyrodiil - My first TES game was Oblivion so I always like the environment in here, even if it's not 100% faithful to the original game.

My least favorite zones would be Rivenspire, Craglorn, and Alik'r Desert. I just don't like the barren, rocky or desert wastelands I suppose.
  • ThePaulrus94
    ThePaulrus94
    ✭✭✭
    I really love The Rift, Eastmarch, and Bleackrock Isle. Big fan of hardiness and architecture. I also really like Rivenspire or Stormhaven (whichever has the windmills).

I'm not a fan of Stonefalls. I guess the ash falling is kinda unique but the dreary landscape is probably a small reason why the game was hard for me to get into before One Tamriel and being able to travel wherever.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I end up playing around in Craglorn when I have free free time.

No disruptive dolmen whirring, the deserts and cliffs are a nice change of scenery as someone that spends almost no time in DC zones, pretty lively zone chat cause of writ turn-ins and nirncrux farming
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard for me to pick an absolute favorite

The Rift reminds me of where I grew up.

I love the beaches of Khinarthis roost and the bright flowering trees of Auridon. I also love the rugged envionment of Craglorn and Wrothgar.

Edited by Katahdin on March 17, 2017 5:36PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Though I'm daggerfall for life, auridon is the prettiest place I like to go.

I really don't like traveling around cold harbor or stonefalls.

I've grown to detest theater of despair
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do love the coast of malaba tor quite a bit. Parked all of my characters in velyn harbor until I bought my house in the rift. The interior of the zone I despise lol.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summerset. Wait, we can't visit that part yet.

Khenarthi's Roost ties for first with Auridon. The scenery in both locations is lovely, and I have fond memories of my earliest adventures there. Bonus points for Auridon providing a fair and thorough look into Altmeri life and society, which helped me more fully develop the backstory and personality of my main TESV character. (Now if only Summerset would happen.)

Wrothgar is also fantastic. A huge detailed zone with animals interacting more with the scenery, nice trees and plants, and tons of great delves and quests to be found. The main story was pretty compelling too.

The Rift is my third favorite and one of my least favorite zones. I find the Rift beautiful, amusing, and highly disturbing at the same time. On one hand, I love the Fall Forest and I've never laughed harder at this game than when I saw the opportunity to mangle Lord Geirmund's Oath. (Whoever wrote that dialogue, thank you.) On the other hand, Ysgramor and the Companions leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially after reading all of Songs of the Return.
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really love Glenumbra, Stormhaven and Rivenspire. Yeah It's kinda generic fantasy, but that's part of what I loved about TES: IV Oblivion. It was very western fantasy that didnt feel too "high fantasy". the Lush green forests, the angular gothic designs of the buildings. It's all so beautiful. Close second is the gold coast, I really wish we could explore more of Cyrodiil outside of PVP.

Least favorite area(s) are places in blackmarsh, I've just never been a fan of swamp areas or Aztec structures. I love that they are there, I just don't personally like to go visit. I agree with OP in that I didnt like Valenwood too much either, never been a fan of the "we respect nature so much we live inside the trees!" societies.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bangkorai & Rivenspire.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gods, I couldn't get enough of Valenwood. Barring giant bygs, I'd love to visit for everything within it. Bosmeri culture is really interesting.

As for least favorite? Hmm... Imperial city. It's such a well done mockery of human instinct: Society crumbling around you as innocents are enslaved or butchered. Scattered families, a desperate last stand as the military fights to just survive against their own fallen kin risen or corrupted by demons...and the armies of man and mer ignoring it in between bouts of killing each other to claim the damned place, or die trying.

I can't enjoy the well written PvE story there because of how depressing it is, and I'm a CJ major...
    Edited by DocFrost72 on March 17, 2017 11:14PM
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, my fav zones are:

- Glenumbra: Daggerfall was the first TES game I ever played, and I really wanted to see how High Rock would look like in modern graphics. So I started off in DC and wow: Glenumbra looked amazing. It has the magnificent city of Daggerfall, Camlorn, small rustic settlements, beautiful forests, the ocean,... I love that zone
    - Bangkorai: tbh, I started loving this zone when Homestead came, because I bought Mournoth Keep :p But it has a wonderful view over Lake Halcyon, the Viridian Woods, the city of Evermore... (yes, I only like the north)
    - Hew's Bane: a small zone, but really beautiful. Abah's Landing is such a well-designed city for a thief, and the zone looks fantastic. If ZOS ever puts a house there, I might be tempted to purchase it so that I can live closer to my job >:)
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • mrfrontman
    mrfrontman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to be a grammar wizard and troll but the title is very confusing.

Where in Tamriel IS your hearts content - Sounds like you're asking where the contents of my heart were placed. i.e. Something contained, the contents of a box.

Where in Tamriel ARE your hearts content would have been the correct title.

Again, I am not trying to troll, the title was just misleading and I'm trying to help.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Heart's Content" is a phrase having to do with CONTENTMENT, it's nothing to do with the contents of your heart; after all, your heart isn't a box. I probably didn't use the phrase exactly correctly, but the "is" IS correct.

Whether it is or are, the title ain't misleading: I'm not responsible for your expectations based on a misunderstanding of what "Heart's Content" means.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alik'r Desert
    Southern Bangkorai
    Craglorn
    Hew's Bane

There aren't many areas I don't like.

GQxxwog.jpg
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stormhaven and Gelnumbra makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's cozy like England.