Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Just started the game

JUSTIN_giver
JUSTIN_giver
Soul Shriven
I'm coming from Destiny and play on a ps4. needed a change and my wife wanted something we could play together so ESO it is. I started as a lizardman sorcerer and am about level 11 or 12.. Seriously feeling lost in this game coming from somewhere else and seeing high level players all over and there is so much to do.. I could use some good starter tips as to what I should do first, how I should grow my character, is crafting really all that important as its one thing in most games I don't really enjoy. Thanxs in advance for the help everyone. much appreciated. oh, is there a way to view your character or make changes from a phone app or online computer..
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have moved this thread to Players Helping Players.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO!

To start out with, do the quests and dungeons - coming from WoW & DD0 I found their dungeons highly immersive and far above most other games I've played. Unless you are in a rush to get to 50, CP160, take your time and read the quest text. Collect the sky shards.

Every time you can, improve your bagspace. You might think 60 is enough, but it's not. At all.

As for crafting, I find it helps but no it's not required. It's fairly easy to level and through the grace of hirelings you can get a decent amount of crafting materials(some of which sell decently). If you decide to level it enough to get hirelings, all you really need to do is deconstruct the items you receive through normal questing.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best bit of advice I can give you is to find what you and your wife find fun, and keep doing it and having fun.

When you reach max level (50 with 160 champion points) you'll start gaining access to a lot of very challenging group content. This is where you will need to start learning the games more advanced systems and using more optimised builds to clear some of it. Until that time however you can complete almost all the games story content without a need to worry about builds or optimisation.

Miss Bizz has a number of guides for new players which can teach you what you need to know without being too overwhelming, her YouTube can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVBB-ecSJdwHGYH264c6mA

In regards to your question about crafting, it's not required to play the game but there are a lot of nice benefits to having it trained on a character, such as the passives in Provisioning which make food and drinks last longer.
    Whilst you're playing you will find items which have the trait "intricate" on them. If you break those down as well as any spare glyphs (item enchantments) you find you'll be able to slowly level these skills whilst playing.

Hope this helps and any other questions or something I didn't answer well on here just ask and I will do my best to answer.
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    We have moved this thread to Players Helping Players.
    You could have at least said welcome BillE. :wink:
    Edited by Turelus on March 15, 2017 4:19PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • JUSTIN_giver
    JUSTIN_giver
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for those who posted so far.. amazed that I wasn't immediately slaughtered as I know I would have been in Destiny for being a noob. How do I increase my bag size.. I already find it to small while out in the world exploring?
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In major cities there's a bag upgrade merchant - in Daggerfall it's between the bank and the forge. It'll be marked on your map with a little pouch icon.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for those who posted so far.. amazed that I wasn't immediately slaughtered as I know I would have been in Destiny for being a noob. How do I increase my bag size.. I already find it to small while out in the world exploring?

There is an NPC merchant in each town (if you hover over the icons in a town you should see an NPC name with a little bag next to it) who will sell you upgrades.
    Bag upgrades can get very expensive and go up in tens, you can check this article for full pricing: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pack_Merchants

You can also upgrade you carry capacity by taking riding lessons at the stables, but you will need a mount for this. A basic horse in game costs 17,000 gold or you can buy any mount in the Crown Store for real money.

The community is generally very polite and helpful when it comes to new players and helping out, the hostile and aggressive side is normally confined to debates about mechanics, PvP or divisive subjects.

As long as you post constructively and politely asking for help you can normally avoid any aggressive attitudes from players.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • gogofoo
    gogofoo
    I am kind of new too on ps4 server, my game tag is gogofoo..
    hit me up so we can play together
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been so long since I started this game I'm trying to remember what was helpful/fun at first. Let me see if I can think up some tips.

1. Just play what's fun. There is no way to "ruin" any aspect of your character.

2. If you don't like crafting, don't craft. But you might consider using craft stations to deconstruct junk smith, wood, cloth and enchanting gear you pick up. This will level these skills lines, in case you ever want to do any aspect of the crafting (like daily writs, which reward mats needed for high end gear).

3. Experiment with different skill lines, abilities and weapons. Don't worry, there are enough skill points in the game to open most everything in the tree. And recasting points is relatively cheap. Try new abilities and skills, and learn how they work.

4. Speaking of skills, you might want to turn combat text on. This is in the menu...gameplay options...interface...combat text. This will display numbers over character for outgoing/incoming damage, which is a great way to start learning which abilities do what level of damage.

5. Recent changes to the game mean you can go most anywhere on the map. That's advantageous, but it can overwealm new players. In the old system, you'd be held in your starter zone until about level 16. You might consider sticking to your starter zone for a bit...learn how the quests work, dungeons, etc.

6. Something that is less intuitive than before is what the various quest lines are that you're playing through. They kind of all lump together now. The primary quest lines are:

- main story line: advances every ten character levels, a man called the prophet bring you into a story involving Molag Bol. Quests spawn at a place called the harborage.

- alliance quests: each of the three factions have a loooooong story line. These begin in the starter zone and proceed through all five zones. These lines can be somewhat confusing since you can pick up each zones quests whether or not you've completed previous zones. Therefore, as a new player you might want to pick the line up in zone one and follow it through as you level, moving to the next zone when the quest line moves you there. (Or refer to an online guide). If you try this out of order, the story gets way confusing. Each of the three faction lines converge with the main story when you are sent to a place called The Hollow City.

- fighters guild quest line: advances as you level the FG skill line. 5-6 quests in total. This story converges with the others in The Hollow City.

- mages guild quest line: advances as you level the MG line by collecting the purple lore books lying around. Six quests, story converges in The Hollow City.

- dark brotherhood and thieves guild quests lines: totally independent of all other quests and can be played any time. Lots of skill points in these.

- craglorn: several quest lines, independent of others.

- wrothgar: a main story line that is independent.
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    If you need help in game add p_au_1i0

Welcome to eso!