Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New player, need advices.

DDkiki
DDkiki
Soul Shriven
Good evening.
Just recenrly started playing ESO coming from FFXIV as im just burned out on it. I know there are a lot of such topics but forgive me my lazy ass as the game looks too different from all what i played before.
As i mained Dark Knight in ff and i love that archetype of tanky edgy knight with life-stealing (tho it was poorly implemented there) i started as nightblade with sword'n'board but have few questions.
1) Is it possible to tank with 2-hander, or only sword and shield? Is it viable to use 2hander for solo-pve and use shield for dungeons?
2) So far i saw only 2 taunt abilites from shield tree and from one of the guild tree. thats all? Also whats the best way to level up that guilds level?
3) As its more of a life-stealing tank and for RP purpose is it viable to become vampire? Is it even ok in this game to become one or its mostly negative features? And how to become one?
4)Whats better builds for it? so far im just usung what i think more viable(14 lvl): ransack, heroic slash, swallow soul, veiled strke and lotus fan(this 2 are placeholders as i think next skills from that trees are interesting) and soul tether for ult. Want to use syphonics strikes when will have skill tree level for it i think, anything more?
What about stats? I have 10 health and 4-2 in mag/st. If its bad how to better builds it for tanking? And any tank advice here? I have run 1st dungeon and it looked kinda strange to me, with only 1 taunt skill and no aoe taunts.
5) Is crafting in this game important? Im leveling blacksmith and enhcant, should i level anything else, or everything, or neither?

• MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Yes. Stamina based characters can do just find with 2h/1h+s once you get a good feel for survivability. You're not going to be doing any crazy damage, but it is fine for solo play and normal dungeons. Later on you might look up builds more specific to what you want to do.
    2) There are only those two abilities (and frost staff heavy attacks, but not very useful). You can level undaunted by doing dungeons.
    3) Vampire is plenty viable for many builds. Most people use it to augment Magicka builds, but it can work well with tanks as well. You will be taking a loss in health regen and a weakness to fire, but gaining better magicka and stamp regen plus decreased damage taken when your health is low. If you're on PC, try asking around in zone or getting a guild and asking for a bite. Players can bite you, or you can look up how to find natural spawning vampires with the disease. Do not pay for a bite.
    4) I'm not personally experienced in NB tank, but ransack+siphoning is definitely the way to go. Look up builds and play around. If you're not doing veteran dungeons or trials yet, there's plenty of room to experiment. You might try PvP out to get those skills unlocked as well. Vigor is very useful for stamina characters. In a dungeon, your role is taunt the big guys and CC everything else. Find what works best to keep enemies in place.
    5) Level everything. This game rewards stacking crafting skills. Deconstruct everything you get. If you're subbing, pick up absolutely everything. Keep trait research up all the time. I would initially work on provisioning and alchemy, as they can directly impact character performance. If you get a nice guild or five, plenty of people would be willing to help you gear up if you really need it - but what you pick up is probably fine for getting to 50.
  • DDkiki
    DDkiki
    Soul Shriven
    MopeyHat wrote: »
    1) Yes. Stamina based characters can do just find with 2h/1h+s once you get a good feel for survivability. You're not going to be doing any crazy damage, but it is fine for solo play and normal dungeons. Later on you might look up builds more specific to what you want to do.
    2) There are only those two abilities (and frost staff heavy attacks, but not very useful). You can level undaunted by doing dungeons.
    3) Vampire is plenty viable for many builds. Most people use it to augment Magicka builds, but it can work well with tanks as well. You will be taking a loss in health regen and a weakness to fire, but gaining better magicka and stamp regen plus decreased damage taken when your health is low. If you're on PC, try asking around in zone or getting a guild and asking for a bite. Players can bite you, or you can look up how to find natural spawning vampires with the disease. Do not pay for a bite.
    4) I'm not personally experienced in NB tank, but ransack+siphoning is definitely the way to go. Look up builds and play around. If you're not doing veteran dungeons or trials yet, there's plenty of room to experiment. You might try PvP out to get those skills unlocked as well. Vigor is very useful for stamina characters. In a dungeon, your role is taunt the big guys and CC everything else. Find what works best to keep enemies in place.
    5) Level everything. This game rewards stacking crafting skills. Deconstruct everything you get. If you're subbing, pick up absolutely everything. Keep trait research up all the time. I would initially work on provisioning and alchemy, as they can directly impact character performance. If you get a nice guild or five, plenty of people would be willing to help you gear up if you really need it - but what you pick up is probably fine for getting to 50.

Thank you for your reply.
    I saw there is a "ask to be biten or something" thread here on forum, should i ask there about vampirism? Cuz tbh now fond of asking such things in zone chats, saw many people wanted to sell them and it looks kinda strange to me.

Should i mostly level up health and a bit magic, i think siphon strikes will give me plenty of resources to use, so for life-stealing based tank health is the only priority. I propanly need to read few guides.

Provisioning and alchemy looks like hardest to level up, its hard to understand what ingridient will have what effect and food recipes are rare D:
    Got all certification but making alchemy and provisons is kinda impossibl, especially provison as it ask for delivery the recipes that i can't even find in guild stores(who thought it is a good game design btw, this market is just terrible, sorry but i hated it).
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDkiki wrote: »

I saw there is a "ask to be biten or something" thread here on forum, should i ask there about vampirism? Cuz tbh now fond of asking such things in zone chats, saw many people wanted to sell them and it looks kinda strange to me.

Should i mostly level up health and a bit magic, i think siphon strikes will give me plenty of resources to use, so for life-stealing based tank health is the only priority. I propanly need to read few guides.

Provisioning and alchemy looks like hardest to level up, its hard to understand what ingridient will have what effect and food recipes are rare D:
    Got all certification but making alchemy and provisons is kinda impossibl, especially provison as it ask for delivery the recipes that i can't even find in guild stores(who thought it is a good game design btw, this market is just terrible, sorry but i hated it).

Anyone with the least amount of decency will freely bite you. Try to get into a guild and find some friendly people.

If you are going to do 2h at all, dump all your attribute points into stamina, as stamina skill damage is based on weapon damage + 1/10 of your total stamina. (Vigor is a stamina skill, and just about necessary to get good healing as a stam character.) Attribute points are not that huge of a difference, so devote them to your main source of damage and use other sources to boost your resources as you need - then you pretty much never have to with about respeccing them.

Recipes are actually pretty common. If you loot every backpack, nightstand, urn - things that aren't sacks or barrels - they accumulate pretty quick. There are also a set available at every chef and cook - writs will ONLY ask for those recipes. Run delves with humanoids to find lots of free food containers to gather materials.

Alchemy is a little more difficult. If you're having a hard time picking up mats, grab the passive hat lights them up.
    Edited by MopeyHat on March 14, 2017 9:42PM
  • DDkiki
    DDkiki
    Soul Shriven

Anyone with the least amount of decency will freely bite you. Try to get into a guild and find some friendly people.

If you are going to do 2h at all, dump all your attribute points into stamina, as stamina skill damage is based on weapon damage + 1/10 of your total stamina. (Vigor is a stamina skill, and just about necessary to get good healing as a stam character.) Attribute points are not that huge of a difference, so devote them to your main source of damage and use other sources to boost your resources as you need - then you pretty much never have to with about respeccing them.

Recipes are actually pretty common. If you loot every backpack, nightstand, urn - things that aren't sacks or barrels - they accumulate pretty quick. There are also a set available at every chef and cook - writs will ONLY ask for those recipes. Run delves with humanoids to find lots of free food containers to gather materials.

Alchemy is a little more difficult. If you're having a hard time picking up mats, grab the passive hat lights them up.

But as i thought most of my skill will be magicka based soi better level up magicka, maybe dump 2h then, hmmm. Need to google things around it.

Cheefs and cooks sell them? I feel like idiot now.
    Im having harder time to understand what ingridients have what properties :< most of my mats are wasted when i tried to improvise.

• gogofoo
    gogofoo
    Hi DDkiki:

I quit ff14 about a year ago as well and jump on this recently, i Play this game on ps4, how about you?
  • DDkiki
    DDkiki
    Soul Shriven
    gogofoo wrote: »
    Hi DDkiki:

I quit ff14 about a year ago as well and jump on this recently, i Play this game on ps4, how about you?

Im PC. EU.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But as i thought most of my skill will be magicka based soi better level up magicka, maybe dump 2h then, hmmm. Need to google things around it.

Cheefs and cooks sell them? I feel like idiot now.
    Im having harder time to understand what ingridients have what properties :< most of my mats are wasted when i tried to improvise.

I think all of the base skills are magicka based but a lot of them now have stamina morphs. Unfortunately I don't do NB so can't be more specific, you should look the morphs up though, perhaps you'd fine something useful there.
    Generally if you go stamina you probably won't be using many magicka based skills aside from utility(such as cloak/fear for example).
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've Levelled a nb tank as my main so I think I know I few things.

First, all classes will have stamina morphs for some of their abilities. There are certain must takes for nb but do note that your dps output will drop although this can be mitigated with the right gear.

I level both sword and board and two handers. Once you reach lvl 14, you can already switch weapons. Use both during U our levelling but keep a focus on your sword and board, especially when you hand in quests.

There are a few 'builds' churning out of the forums but I usually keep two to heart. One is the ultimate generation build, with warhorn and soul harvest being the main toolkit. You can use Carve to speed up your ultimate generation while using killer's blade to finish off low health mobs to gain the soul harvest slotted passive. It's more active oriented and I personally find being stamina based to be a better choice. You can also be a hybrid with this build.

The other is the SAP tank, magicka based Nightblade sword and board. This focuses on sustain and being independent of healers. You are almost unkillable with SAP essence, refreshing path, siphon spirit boosting your healing output while having good magicka dps output. Add soul tether and warhorn to further your preservation mode.

Here's what I think are good abilities for Nightblade:

Killer's blade
    Mirage
    Refreshing path
    Siphoning attacks
    Surprise attack
    Siphon spirit
    Reaper's mark

Keep your buffs up, always debut the mobs and bosses and keep them away from the group.

Hope this helps!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • DDkiki
    DDkiki
    Soul Shriven
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    I've Levelled a nb tank as my main so I think I know I few things.

First, all classes will have stamina morphs for some of their abilities. There are certain must takes for nb but do note that your dps output will drop although this can be mitigated with the right gear.

I level both sword and board and two handers. Once you reach lvl 14, you can already switch weapons. Use both during U our levelling but keep a focus on your sword and board, especially when you hand in quests.

There are a few 'builds' churning out of the forums but I usually keep two to heart. One is the ultimate generation build, with warhorn and soul harvest being the main toolkit. You can use Carve to speed up your ultimate generation while using killer's blade to finish off low health mobs to gain the soul harvest slotted passive. It's more active oriented and I personally find being stamina based to be a better choice. You can also be a hybrid with this build.

The other is the SAP tank, magicka based Nightblade sword and board. This focuses on sustain and being independent of healers. You are almost unkillable with SAP essence, refreshing path, siphon spirit boosting your healing output while having good magicka dps output. Add soul tether and warhorn to further your preservation mode.

Here's what I think are good abilities for Nightblade:

Killer's blade
    Mirage
    Refreshing path
    Siphoning attacks
    Surprise attack
    Siphon spirit
    Reaper's mark

Keep your buffs up, always debut the mobs and bosses and keep them away from the group.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!
    I think SAP build is more what i want. Already googled a bit and i think got basic idea of how to build my character for now.