The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No Text Chat Keyboard

Jaws243
Jaws243
I am having a continuing issue where my text chat keyboard will not come up when I hit the button to start typing. At first, it was an intermittent problem that I would only see once a week or so. Now, I am lucky of I have the use of text chat when I log in most of the time.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JasonI @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_TristanK
  • Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the USB port. (I actually use a wireless keyboard plugged into it) I do this because I have always had problems with the pop up keyboard support in this game.

The wireless keyboard I have is from Walmart for less than $15
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    While I greatly appreciate the workaround that you have provided, @Jailbirdy, I do not feel as though I should have to go out and spend additional funds in order to utilize a feature in the game that is supposed to be functional without any additional purchase. I have already purchased the game, purchased all of the DLC up to Shadows of the Hist, and pay the monthly subscription fee. All I am looking for is a little support from the support team. Can I please at least get an acknowledgement from the mods?

• Jaws243
    Jaws243
    I would also like to point out that, due to this issue, I do not really have the option of any type of in-game support, as the "Help" menu requires the keyboard to show up in order to type.

• utb99
    utb99
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue
    'The gods can turn anything to good' -Martin Septim
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    Bump.
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    Since nobody at Zeni would like to comment, can I get anything from you @BethesdaStudios ?

I find it very disheartening that the communication from this company is so severely lacking to the point where it is next to non-existent.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn't a ZOS issue

IF your particular USB keyboard is supported it will only prompt to text box using the "Enter" key if you first turn off the console. (Not standby, but a full power down)

Plug in the keyboard, and never unplug it
    Turn the console back on

Launch the game and it'll work. If you remove it and use standby mode, it won't work
    The only known device that doesn't do this is the Microsoft brand chat pad and a Microsoft brand controller
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭

IF your particular USB keyboard is supported it will only prompt to text box using the "Enter" key if you first turn off the console. (Not standby, but a full power down)

Turn the console back on

Launch the game and it'll work. If you remove it and use standby mode, it won't work
    The only known device that doesn't do this is the Microsoft brand chat pad and a Microsoft brand controller

His issue is not with a physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard that pops up on screen when you want to type something. Atleast that is my understanding. He refuses to buy a physical keyboard.

Dude go out and get you a 5 dollar keyboard. You probably already have a keyboard some where around your house. You causing yourself more hassle than need to be.

Try reinstalling game you might have a corrupted file that's causing the issue.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cêltic421 wrote: »

Turn the console back on

His issue is not with a physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard that pops up on screen when you want to type something. Atleast that is my understanding. He refuses to buy a physical keyboard.

Dude go out and get you a 5 dollar keyboard. You probably already have a keyboard some where around your house. You causing yourself more hassle than need to be.

@cêltic421

You're correct. It's virtual....

@Jaws243
    Do a hard reset once a week at least (hold the Xbox logo on the console, not the controller down until it shuts off)
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    It is indeed the virtual keyboard that I was referring to. I do a hard reset at least every other day, as it is almost impossible to not have to when playing ESO. My issue isn't the cost of a physical keyboard, it is the fact that this is an issue that I have been having trouble with that is now requiring me to make another purchase for a game that I already purchased and that I pay a monthly subscription to. Nevermind the fact that ZoS does not respond in any way to about 85-90% of their forum posts on the Xbox Boards.
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaws243 wrote: »
    It is indeed the virtual keyboard that I was referring to. I do a hard reset at least every other day, as it is almost impossible to not have to when playing ESO. My issue isn't the cost of a physical keyboard, it is the fact that this is an issue that I have been having trouble with that is now requiring me to make another purchase for a game that I already purchased and that I pay a monthly subscription to. Nevermind the fact that ZoS does not respond in any way to about 85-90% of their forum posts on the Xbox Boards.
    They only suggested use a keyboard you have. Have you tried using a keyboard? Most people have a keyboard .....

You are the only one with this issue, not buy one. There is no one else posting here with this issue. You need to look at your setup and/or console .....

If you want support, you need to file a support ticket .....

Since you can file a support ticket in game with no keyboard, use the website HERE .....

I am going to put out a suggestion as you have not stated .... Have you attempted to update your controller to the latest software revision? Have you attempted to use a different controller to see if it has the same issue?
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    I have indeed tried two different controllers, and I have gotten some feedback from various others, some in-game, some here claiming they have the same issue. They only keyboard I have is one with the old keyboard connection, not a USB plug. It is only the in-game, virtual keyboard that I have issues with. The virtual keyboard works flawlessly in other games as well as on the dashboard and other apps. It is not my game or my console.

I do really appreciate the feedback and attempt to help, as it is much more than I have gotten from the devs.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JasonI @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_TristanK @BethesdaStudios
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude open a ticket the forums are a place for discussions not for the Forum Mods to fix issues as they aren't support. They're just able to make sure your ticket in in the correct queue
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    @NewBlacksmurf, I have. One of the few occasions that my in-game keyboard has worked.
  • oldskoorpg74
    I have the same issue. Can't even make a new character because the keyboard won't come up. This is happening most of the time. Any news for this bug?
  • rentalman UK
    rentalman UK
    ✭✭✭
    Best solution is when u loads the game go to the controller menu button on tight of big xbox button go to manage game then delete saved data for eso and then log on it will resync automatically and all keyboard issues sorted but may need to do this each time u play to avoid doubt and give peace

Hope that helps
    Edited by rentalman UK on April 4, 2017 10:46AM
  • RedWarrior72
    RedWarrior72
    ✭✭
    Best solution is when u loads the game go to the controller menu button on tight of big xbox button go to manage game then delete saved data for eso and then log on it will resync automatically and all keyboard issues sorted but may need to do this each time u play to avoid doubt and give peace

Hope that helps

Never had this problem until the March XB1 update, had the virtual keyboard before the update in game, but not after. Not sure what happened, but deleting the game saved data does fix it as I was able to make and name another char. Will see in a couple of days if it is still fixed by trying to make another char, or if it goes back and takes the virtual keyboard again and will have to repeat the fix.

• LeApricotRain
    I've had this problem since the latest XBOX update which makes it more difficult to quit the game before shutting down the XBOX, so I've been starting from the screen with the map on it. I quit the game through the XBOX menu and restarted and this sorted the problem.

I then timed out whilst on the character selection screen and restarted from the map screen again and the problem is now back.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a hard reset then....hold Xbox logo on the console ( not the controller) until it shuts off.

Wait 10-15 secs, and turn it back on and play
  • RedWarrior72
    RedWarrior72
    ✭✭

Hope that helps

Never had this problem until the March XB1 update, had the virtual keyboard before the update in game, but not after. Not sure what happened, but deleting the game saved data does fix it as I was able to make and name another char. Will see in a couple of days if it is still fixed by trying to make another char, or if it goes back and takes the virtual keyboard again and will have to repeat the fix.

Update to my previous post. It does have to be done each time as it goes back to not having the keyboard pop up when needed again. Deleted the file and relogged and keyboard was back. Went to try it again later and keyboard did not respond again.

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this happen probably 1 time in 5 uses. Often mid translation with someone. Sometimes going to home, then back to game and key board works but it is annoying
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other option is install the app on your phone, so you start chat on console and chat opens on App and you can type there. Also way faster in phone keyboard
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Jaws243
    Jaws243
    @Beardimus, unfortunately, that is not a solution. I'd the keyboard does not open in-game, it will not open on the app either.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually this has been known to happen to me allot

and its not a problem with xbox or controller

the problem is with the lag , every time i have lag the virtual keyboard dose not open up and once when the lag goes down it dose.

Next time when this happens have a look to see if there is lag , you can see this by some of the walls in houses missing ect also do a speed test from your mobile or xbox to check your speed as well.

Im actually going to be buying a control keyboard as this is known to happen in worst time lol

hope this helps
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So many long winded solutions to this.

When it happens just press the home button you'll see on the small screen window on home page the blank keyboard has gone. Go back to the game and load the keyboard back up and boom it'll work..it does for me 100% of the time. No need for all this hard resetting crap.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cêltic421 wrote: »

Turn the console back on

Its just a matter of preference. I use a keyboard because its easier. 1.99 used at Goodwill. A little disinfectant spray and its good.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Excaltic
    Excaltic
    ✭✭✭
    I have this problem too -and MANY of my friends have it too, but yeah, the workaround of pressing the white round Xbox, select [HOME] and then relaunch ESO fixes it -most- of the time (not always!!).

It has to do something with the new March Dashboard upgrade, I think it has something to do with the framerate optimizations Microsoft introduced with it. What happens if you look closely is this:

- You select the white chat line
    - You press "A" to "edit" the textfield
    - The on-screen (virtual) keyboard pops up for like 0.1 seconds
    - The game visuals itself become darkened (like a black overlay sheet), but you can still see it, sort of
    - The on-screen (virtual) keyboard disappears completely and never comes back
    - The game visuals then switch off and everything becomes 100% black, most likely the new dashboard enables it's framerate optimizations and just totally shuts of game viisuals to avoid framerate drops while typing something. This also happens when the on-screen keyboard -does- work, but it's like -sometimes- the dashboard optimizations push the keyboard out of focus and auto-close it somehow.

But yeah, sometime it works, sometime it does not. ZOS has to fix this! :)
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excaltic wrote: »
    I have this problem too -and MANY of my friends have it too, but yeah, the workaround of pressing the white round Xbox, select [HOME] and then relaunch ESO fixes it -most- of the time (not always!!).

It has to do something with the new March Dashboard upgrade, I think it has something to do with the framerate optimizations Microsoft introduced with it. What happens if you look closely is this:

- You select the white chat line
    - You press "A" to "edit" the textfield
    - The on-screen (virtual) keyboard pops up for like 0.1 seconds
    - The game visuals itself become darkened (like a black overlay sheet), but you can still see it, sort of
    - The on-screen (virtual) keyboard disappears completely and never comes back
    - The game visuals then switch off and everything becomes 100% black, most likely the new dashboard enables it's framerate optimizations and just totally shuts of game viisuals to avoid framerate drops while typing something. This also happens when the on-screen keyboard -does- work, but it's like -sometimes- the dashboard optimizations push the keyboard out of focus and auto-close it somehow.

But yeah, sometime it works, sometime it does not. ZOS has to fix this! :)

That's actually not the issue me or any of my friends are having. Our games are outright not prompting a text box. Getting a keyboard to use isn't a solution for most of my friends because their Xboxes are in locations that they couldn't get a keyboard hooked up to.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GuyNamedSean

This is the best solution

1. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/communications/chatpad

It's cheaper at other stores but it plugs into your controller and allows your headset to plug in too

2. Best solution
    So many long winded solutions to this.

When it happens just press the home button you'll see on the small screen window on home page the blank keyboard has gone. Go back to the game and load the keyboard back up and boom it'll work..it does for me 100% of the time. No need for all this hard resetting crap.

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 17, 2017 4:17PM