Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

You should be able to complete quest prior to being removed from a dungeon!

raidentenshu_ESO
raidentenshu_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom You may want to add this to the next patch. I was in the process of completing the quest with one of my toons that I'm working with, and all 3 random players wand up leaving the group without me finishing the quest. Your game wand up throwing me out of the dungeon without completing it.

xGtHPsa.png

NOT COOL! You should not be thrown out while the quest is active!

Please add this to the next patch because it's highly annoying and unacceptable!
Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 22, 2022 1:35PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is pretty terrible design.

TBH I don't think the last person should be removed from an instance if they don't leave the group, it should be a "you're welcome to stay until you want to move on" like any normal group.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had that myself, I had luckily cached in the quest and was just listening to npc then thrown out but if i was slower I see the issue. Had even been relevant to stay to loot, explore and learn the dungeon better.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been requested numerous times, they don't care/know how to fix, it seems. When you get Activity Complete, it should disable or extend the remove from area countdown. There are too many dungeons with long story-mode you can't simply skip through before turning in a quest like Banished Cells has a horrendously long theatrical performance before you get the opportunity to get a turn in. The other option is if you have a dungeon quest completed, PUT THE TURN IN NPC OUTSIDE THE DUNGEON ENTRANCE.
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it definitely sucks. Perhaps something as simple as increasing the countdown could work.

For now the best thing to do is let the group know you are doing the quest and hope that someone sticks around.
  • AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

TBH I don't think the last person should be removed from an instance if they don't leave the group, it should be a "you're welcome to stay until you want to move on" like any normal group.

I'm quite sure it worked this way some time ago.
    I remember everyone left the dungeon and I was still in and looking around for chests. :)
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember everyone left the dungeon and I was still in and looking around for chests. :)

This being the reason they changed it!
  • RapidUrsa
    RapidUrsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was with a group the other day on darkshade and they ran past the quest without telling me so had to redo it which was annoying!
    About Me
    Xbox One - EU
    Gamertag - RapidUrsa
    Overall CP - 500
  • Dreyfron
    Dreyfron
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a great idea to have a choice to leave the dungeon, many players have already done the quest so they just leave the second the final boss is dead but isnt fair on peeps that this is their first run at it.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this is a general problem with group composition. You get all kinds of players. Some are doing a "random normal" or a daily pledge, have run the dungeon a thousand times, and just want to complete it as quickly as possible. Some are leveling new alts and rush through the quest dialog, just wanting the skill point. And then there's those that wish to actually follow the quest. :)

I usually wait at the end of dungeons until either the last player left the group / said "thanks, bye", or I myself ask "anyone need quest"? Darkshade Caverns 1 has a particularly bad design in that regard, considering there's a mini boss (the "Cutting Sphere") on the way from the end boss to where you turn in the quest. Usually everybody quits after the end boss, leaving questers (especially if low level) no chance to get past the mini boss.
    Edited by Loc2262 on March 13, 2017 11:08AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Riga_Mortis
    Riga_Mortis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to finish the dungeon quest even if everyone else leaves should've been picked up during testing. The fact that this is still a thing is just ridiculous and needs fixing asap
    XBOX 1X
    GT - TAGNUTZ
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mentioned this for a year and so have others. It hasn't even been acknowledged.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually ask if anyone is doing the quest, due to this well-known mechanic (and them having to listen to dialogue sometimes in order to progress) it seems like common courtesy to do this. It takes 5 minutes more, maximum. And saves the other players having to run through it all again in the hopes of being lucky with the second group.
    PC-EU
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This being the reason they changed it!

No, they haven't changed it.

The explanation is that it's not all other members leaving the dungeon that causes the 1 left to be kicked out of it, it's the group being disbanded / all other members leaving the group.
    Just ask the group to not disband and you'll be fine.

I agree though that ZOS should change this. Would be nice to have time to explore, read and loot without the anxiety of being kicked. In group content, this is the only way for players who like atmosphere and scenery to actually enjoy them.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on March 13, 2017 11:48AM
  • jroc699_burr
    jroc699_burr
    ✭✭
    I tanked ruins of mazzutun and everyone left after before i got my skill points inventory was full super choked
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually design the game, so this is intentional. Do what ZOS wants you to do. Join another group, finish the quest, then leave the group. Do something else until all penalties are cleared. /sarcasm
    Edited by Elsonso on March 13, 2017 1:19PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually design the game, so this is intentional. Do what ZOS wants you to do. Join another group, finish the quest, then leave the group. Do something else until all penalties are cleared.

???
    There are many design issues that are not intentional, @lordrichter . And what would be the intention behind preventing people from staying in the dungeon for a while even after veryone else has left the group. This makes no sense to me.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tanked ruins of mazzutun and everyone left after before i got my skill points inventory was full super choked

Yeah, I feel for you, it's infuriating. Whenever I do a dungeon for the skill point, the first thing I do after the last boss id down is write in /group "please do not disband, need to finish quest". Especially in dungeons such as darkshade caverns, where the NPC is far away.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on March 13, 2017 1:00PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They actually design the game, so this is intentional. Do what ZOS wants you to do. Join another group, finish the quest, then leave the group. Do something else until all penalties are cleared.

???
    There are many design issues that are not intentional, @lordrichter . And what would be the intention behind preventing people from staying in the dungeon for a while even after veryone else has left the group. This makes no sense to me.

You are saying that ZOS makes decisions without thinking them through fully, and that the design decisions are not intentional? I suppose you think that long loading screens, disconnections, and Cyrodiil lag are not carefully calculated deign decisions, too?

Meant comment to be read with a certain amount of sarcasm. Sorry.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meant comment to be read with a certain amount of sarcasm. Sorry.

Ooops should have thought of that, sorry. Must be in a too serious mood right now ;)

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Each should be able to leave on his or her own accord and not get automatically kicked when you're the only one left.
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate having to rush like a madman to turn in my quest before getting booted. I want to chill out, check my loot, chat with the people I just ran with. Instead I have to ignore everything and figure out how to finish the quest in like 10 seconds before my window of opportunity is gone.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wait with people when they ask, but this is just another weak design decision from ZOS. Generally, I like the game, but the developer come across as complete amateurs. This sort of thing is MMO basic 101.
  • wowlock
    wowlock
    Soul Shriven
    A new year and this stupid thing still isn't fixed. I had to run Selene's Web twice because first time, I couldn't start the quest as the group killed the first room too fast. Second, they rest of the group left instantly after the last boss ...while the damn NPCs I am suppose to talk to are doing their RP for like 5 minutes while I have like 20 seconds before getting kicked out.

Whoever designed this know NOTHING about Dungeon Finders etc.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this happen to me so many times. I have a bunch of dungeons that I need to re-run to finish the quest and get the skill point. I always say that I need the quest (and will happily skip any NPC dialog). Someone will say 'sure, ok' but as soon as the run is over the Crown will disband the group and I'm screwed.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Edited by Enemy-of-Coldharbour on January 10, 2018 7:27PM
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    I usually ask if anyone is doing the quest, due to this well-known mechanic (and them having to listen to dialogue sometimes in order to progress) it seems like common courtesy to do this. It takes 5 minutes more, maximum. And saves the other players having to run through it all again in the hopes of being lucky with the second group.

You, Ser/Madam are awesome! I usually run normal solos for the quests (the ones I can, am still a squishy mofo but am getting there :#)
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has happened to me more times than I'd like to admit. I got into the habit of saying I've got a quest to complete at the start of a dungeon.

I do think the ideal solution would be to just put the turn-in NPC outside the dungeon.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, please remove the kicking mechanism or at least extend the time.

When entering a dungeon for the first time - Me: "Hey guys. Got Quest", Group: "Oh, KK". The group proceeds to barrel through the dungeon and then leave immediately after killing the final boss... I usually ask and wait if anyone else has a quest, especially if they're low level. It's not gonna kill you to wait a few seconds for someone to turn in their quest ffs.
    Edited by N00BxV1 on January 10, 2018 8:11PM
  • Jarryzzt
    Jarryzzt
    ✭✭✭✭
    After pondering through the possible technical solutions to the problem, in lieu of one of my customarily lengthy postings I shall simply agree that, yes, the most optimal solution would be to "double up" quest completion NPCs - one where they are currently (e.g. in the room with the last boss), and another standing just outside the dungeon's entrance (to which you can teleport, or even just walk in some cases); completing with either one completes with them both.

This approach would require minimal changes - comparatively speaking - to design and code as it stands. I think.
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't let it bother you too much. It's a tough lesson but hopefully it will not happen to you again now that you know.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add my voice to this request, again. Having to rush through to get to that NPC when the boss is done so we don't run the risk of getting booted and losing the point is a pain. It's even worse when we ask for it, the NPCs tend to wander for half an hour before allowing interactions, and the group disbanded notification pops up.

I've had CoA2 on my quest log for some time before I decided to just drop it because it was pointless. The quest NPC wasn't in the spot after returning; I was just met with the usual bosses. And this is an issue even when we go with guildies/friends because there will always be someone with a quick finger that forgets about the request.

As for the quests themselves, I started to just hit skip-screenshot-skip-screenshot-skip etc. It's the only way to 'enjoy' the NPC speech and actually figure out what's going on, unless the whole group is nice enough to wait between steps. Of course it doesn't help when the NPCs waffle on by themselves and we have to wait, but at least it allows me to read the stories later on.
This discussion has been closed.